“Nice restaurant , great atmosphere”

Borealis Grille & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Borealis Grille & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 541 Restaurants in Kitchener
Cuisines: Gastropub, Grill, Wine Bar
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Borealis Grille & Bar is a restaurant that serves the very best of locally crafted foods and beverages. We bring "The Taste of Ontario", the highest quality of fresh products from Ontario farmers, breweries and wineries to our guests each and every day. Combined with a deep respect for local heritage and craftsmanship and an unwavering dedication for sustainability. Our Borealis location in Kitchener is set in a restored 19th century schoolhouse, that is showcased in the great Harvest Lounge at the entrance. We look forward to seeing you!
Port Dover, Canada
“Nice restaurant , great atmosphere”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We recently found this restaurant in Kitchener . It prides itself on serving locally grown , organic fare . It offers great service and menu options , the ambience is quite nice . It appears rustic/historical. It is originally an old school and has been converted to a wonderful local establishment.
Try it out .

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank johnniebdover

“Worth every penny”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Great food at decent price. This is not a cheap place to eat but the quality is well above average and the prices are very good for the food you get. Well worth a stop.

Visited May 2013
Kitchener, Canada
“Meal was okay, wasn't wowed!”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

My husband and I decided to give this restaurant a try after we have heard nothing but good things about it over the past few years. We were also intrigued by the local food theme.

Upon arrival we were greeted by the hostess and seated very quickly. Our server came over to let us know about the “specials” menu and advise us about the $5 cocktails / martinis that they have on Thursday – Saturday. We decided to give those a try - blueberry tea martini and a raspberry daiquiri which were both tasty.

To go with our dinner we were discussing whether to get a 9 oz glass of wine each or a bottle. Our server advised they would recork the bottle for us at no charge if we didn’t want to drink it all. What a great idea, most places charge for re-corking. So we opted to go for a bottle.

We decided to forgo the appetizers in hopes of having dessert and we were glad we did. For our mains, I ordered the butternut squash ravioli. The menu did not mention anything about a peppery taste / sauce, but I found the peppery after-taste too strong, something akin to Montreal steak spice. My husband ordered the roasted duck breast. Duck, no matter where you get it, is always fantastic and the bacon and sweet potato hash that accompanied it was very nice as well. I’m glad my husband’s duck was so good, because we switched meals halfway through due to the overwhelming peppery taste of the ravioli.

For dessert I had the "ultimate" butter tart, which was nice and light. No overwhelming pastry. My husband had the warm brownies which were amazing.

All in all the meal was okay; I wasn't wowed as I wanted to be. This could be that at the beginning of May the local foods aren't as plentiful as they would be in summer. For $127 including tip the price is comparable for anywhere in the region, but there are other places I would return to first. I will give this restaurant another try before I rule it out completely though.

• Visited May 2013
Kitchener, Canada
“This has now been about my 10th visit to the Boreallis”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Not only is the food fantastic, they also have the best waiter in town, Luigi!! Saturday night so many patrons had requested Luigi, his area was full. To my delight we had the most pleasurable service from the talented; professional and absolutely delightful waitress Sylvia!!

Luigi did have a moment to welcome us.... we keep coming back for the great food; outstanding service and superior atmosphere!

Always a pleasure!!

• Visited April 2013
Waterloo, Canada
“will be back!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We enjoyed the atmosphere-very cute, food was tastey, portion sizes were fair to the price which was great! only thing neither of us liked on our plates was the coleslaw. and my only complaint was the waitress was kind of akward.I love the fact that its local ingredients and that the menu changes all the time so we want to go back this summer and see what theyve got!

• Visited March 2013