“Most disgusting place ever!”

Howard Johnson - Kitchener Conestoga
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Kitchener
Cobourg Ontario
“Most disgusting place ever!”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We unfortunately had to stay in this disgusting hotel because of a volleyball tournament.

Honestly, we've travelled to CUBA many times, even 3 stars in Cuba, and I was more terrified to stay in this Howard Johnson. Very scary, nasty, and incredibly outdated.

it was so gross and dirty. especially the first room, which we demanded to get a new room. We ended up in a room a smidgen better. At least the second room didn't smell as horrible or have stains on the bedding,

The pool looked so dirty none of us used it.

Very dirty place, with very creepy people living out of the motel section.

Hopefully, since our stay, it's had some MAJOR renovations and cleaning.

Room Tip: the higher up, the better.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Angey B
Hojo11798, Manager at Howard Johnson - Kitchener Conestoga, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Angey B,

Thank you for taking the time and reviewing our hotel. I am sorry that you did not find the hotel up to standards when you had stayed with us 8 months ago. I'm honestly not too sure why you have decided to review our hotel now rather then 7-8 months ago. However both negative and positive reviews are completely valuable and I do appreciate that you've taken the time out of your busy schedule to comment in regards to your past stay. I do hope that you will give us another try in the future to come, perhaps try one of the rooms in the tower section, they are bigger and have more updates. I understand April is a very busy time with Cheer competitions, Volleyball and the Conventions in town and to be honest our tower section does get sold out first.

I am terribly sorry that you found our pool area to be dirty, most guests love our large heated indoor salt water pool, hot tub. When the hotel is sold out and very busy with kids our pool does get used a lot, however we do control it with adding Salt (like Chlorine however better on the body and the environment) with salt it does take a bit longer to clear up however I can assure you that we do have random quarterly inspections from the city of Kitchener's Health Department (all places with pools/spas/restaurants do) and we haven't had any complaints. Our pool is completely shut down from 11pm until 7am for Chemical's and cleaning purposes.

If you would like to email me and discuss your stay further you are more then welcome. My email address is hojoguest@yahoo.com.

I just want to wish you and your family a safe and Happy holiday season, Once again I apologize that your hotel room nor the pool area was up to your standards.

Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Walkerton, Canada
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We have come to this hotel for a few years and were pleasantly surprised at the improvements this year The place is very clean and the rooms have new carpets and king beds The front desk is very cheerful and pleasant. The only improvement would be bigger and softer towels We will be telling our friends about this hotel. The location is also great for getting around in Kitchener.
Len K Walkerton

Room Tip: The 4th floor is very quiet and the rooms are huge
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Walkerton
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We have returned yearly to the HoJo because of the price and location. The hotel has improved over the past 8 years. Beds are comfortable and have been upgraded, rooms are clean and reasonably large, with inter connecting doors which makes couple get-to-gethers connvenient, The entrance is large and aethetically pleasing with receptionists friendly and welcoming. The parking is always easy and close with an under the canopy loading area.
However the bathrooms are a tad on the small size but more importantly the towels are too small and thin. When you have to dry yourself with two towels, it's kind of a joke.This has been a constant source of irritation and certainly would help improve their hotel image.
Finally thumbs up to the management for the improvemets so far, keeping the price very reasonable, breakfast included in the price, and hopefully by next fall more changes will have been made. Keep trying guys, we'll keep coming back.

Room Tip: We like the tower with the higher floors.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Hojo11798, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson - Kitchener Conestoga, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you for taking time and writing a great review, I am glad to hear that you've enjoyed your recent stay with us at the Howard Johnson Kitchener. It has always been a great pleasure having you all stay with us right before the holidays. The fact that you all drive so far away to come participate in Operation Christmas Child really puts a smile on my face. You all are amazing people whom go above and beyond.
Thank you for pointing out a weakness or rather call it "place of improvement" I know we are not perfect however I do appreciate that you had enjoyed your stay and you are enjoying the updates as you see them yearly. I have brought it to the General Managers attention that it has been suggested bigger towels and can assure you that he is looking into it.

I want to wish you and your loved ones a very Merry Christmas and a safe and Happy New Year. Looking forward to seeing you again late November/Early December.

Kind Regards,
NORTH BAY
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I go to Kitchener once a month and have been doing so for 9 months and usually stay at the Mayflower Motel b/c of it's price. But I have recently stayed at Howard Johnson and this is the place now on.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

AMANDA N,

I am very glad to hear that you love our hotel, we strive to make everyone's stay as comfortable as possible. I am honored that you will continue to use our hotel on a monthly basis, we enjoy having you stay with us, you are a very pleasant and polite young lady.
We will strive to be your "home away from home".

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a safe 2013.