Howard Johnson - Kitchener Conestoga
Victoria Motel(Kitchener)
$56
Kitchener Motel(Kitchener)
TripAdvisor
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 18, 2012

we enjoyed our stay pool side,, comfortable beds rooms were outdated and need a face lift outdated bathrooms, water damaged ceiling, NO bed bugs !!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We were very disappointed with the whole experience. The room (132) was very substandard. We stayed in the two story outside access section in a smoking room. To start with, even to a smoker the room smell was over whelming, but we were told there wasn't any other choice that weekend because we wanted two queen size beds. The carpeting was stained and had not been properly vacuumed, there was dust, dirt and dog food all around the baseboards. There were cobwebs in the corners and the wallpaper was stained and in the bathroom it was peeling and should have been replaced a long time ago. The blinds on two of the windows had a thick layer of dust and grime on them and they were broken. In the bathroom, tiles around the tub were cracked and who ever painted was not very careful because they got white paint on the dark wood vanity and the dark red bathroom door. The window lock in the bathroom was also broken. My husband stated his dissatisfaction with the room at check out in the morning and we were still charged full price. I am not the type of person that usually complains but this was over the top and I had to warn others. I WILL NOT BE STAYING AT THIS HOTEL AGAIN and would think twice about staying at another Howard Johnson hotel chain in the future. (THIS SECTION OF THE HOTEL SHOULD BE CONDEMNED AND DEMOLISHED.)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 5, 2012

The pool was nice - dated but nice. Staff was very positive and accomodating. All rooms, hotel room and conference room require much updating. It isn't very clean - but it was clean enough. You see where this is going....
We were with a group and this was the 7th hotel we tried to book - Kitchener had several large events going on this weekend so options were limited. You see where this is going..... If you are in a pinch and have little options this will do - I know there are worse examples. I understand from other patrons that you should avoid the rooms in the two storey wing and instead try to get a room in the 4 storey tower.

As a side line - Kitchener is impossible to get around in - the roads are fine and people generally good drivers - the roadway design is dizzying. Make sure to bring your GPS or stellar directions.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms in the two storey motel style wing and instead try to get a room in the 4 storey tower.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Stayed at hotel last night. Booked through booking .com before getting to town. Had a 5 pound dog with me, this was on information I booked with. Asked for a non smoking room , was given 117 and told it was non smoking. My wife first found nicotine stains in bathroom. I contacted staff and asked if we were really in a none smoking room. Was told we were and that we would be fined 100 for any smoking in room(117). We then found ashes behind nightstand on base boards and nicotine stains on walls. Took pics of all. Our room sign had no no smoking sign , all other non smoking rooms did. Also bad ant prob in room.
Went to front desk. Clerk called owner manager who said over phone he had to give me that room because of dog? Hotels policy doesn't say dogs go to smoking rooms, and anyway he lied and gave us a smoking room and threatens us with a fine for damage already present. He then said no tax, I asked for refund, he than said ok to full refund. He wouldn't come to front desk. He lives in hotel..? His name is on plack on wall as manager.
Found out credit card was charged on checkin, so never had choice to pay cash or debit on checkout. I will usually book on line with credit card then pay with cash or debit in morn thus avoiding extra fees. Booking.com told me this is usual hotel practice? I stay in around 10 hotels a month from hear to Alberta and this is first time I couldn't chose type of payment for stay?
I then got email from booking .com saying my reservation was cancelled? I guess so I can't give a review through there site.
I still have a purchuss for room and pet charge on my visa. Was supposed to be refunded? Cam petel was the name of manager who booked us in then lied or misrepresented what we were paying for.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2012

the room next to ours, people were smoking pot and it was entering our room through the vents.when we complained manager did nothing. he didn't go to the room and ask them to stop or nothing. Plugs in the room had been wallpapered over and then just had holes were they stuck the prongs in to find them afterwards. Noise outside from people partying was not dealt with. Smoke detectors where hanging from the ceiling and not in working order. It was the worst hotel I have stayed at and was not happy at all. Not to mention because of the pot smokers and the smell in our room with my children i got no sleep at all.

Room Tip: Run and run fast away from this hotel. If it ever caught on fire there isn't working smoke detectors and the manager doesn't care at all.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Hojo11798, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson - Kitchener Conestoga, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Good Day,
I wanted to take a moment and thank you for taking the time to express your concerns in regards to this past weekend’s stay at the hotel; I understand that you did not find the room to be up to your standards. However at check in we did offer you a newly renovated non smoking room in the tower section as we thought you and your children would enjoy it much more and have easier access to our heated indoor pool however you declined that offer. Instead you chose to stay in a smoking room with your children that has outside access. Please note we do only carry 6 smoking rooms with 2 queen beds and they are quite popular.
When you did notify the guest services agent about the “Marijuana smell” coming from your room we had offered a room change however you declined that offer. You chose to stay in that room for a 2nd night also, during the entire weekend we never once received any noise complaint from yourself nor any other guests staying in the hotel. Upon check out you received a $40.00 credit on your bill to keep you a satisfied guest.
We would like to offer you and your family a discounted rate on your next stay in a newly renovated non smoking room in the tower section. We truly hope you will allow us to serve your family in the near future