All reviewscoffee culturebeautiful hoteldowntown kitchenerhotel is newly renovatedbarber shopmunicipal lotfront deskcoffee stationstir sticksmodern fixturespublic parkingcocktail loungeberlin restaurantpaper bagparking validationhandwritten notefresh milk
Reviewed September 20, 2017

The bed and pillows where very comfortable. The room was clean. The view was of another building. For a place to sleep it was nice. We stayed for 2 nights, they only give you coffee/tea for your room for 1night. The hotel restaurant was nice. The food was good. Price was about average. We walked around the hotel in the evening and there did not seem to have much around. We were charged for parking, the garage across the street....so no free parking..

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled with family
Domini B, General Manager at The Walper Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2017

Dear Les55_11
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding The Walper Hotel. As a downtown location, we do not have onsite free parking, however we are fortunate to have a great lot directly across from the hotel.
We appreciate your feedback regarding your coffee supplies not being replenished which we will share with our team, as well as your comments on the restaurant and surrounding area, which continues to grow and evolve.
On your next stay, I would encourage you to note your preferences as every one of our 92 guest rooms is distinct and we would love to choose one that best fits the experience you're looking for - whether a different view, or a different layout.
Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to hosting you again when next you are in Kitchener.

Regards,

Reviewed September 14, 2017

I'm not sure what I expected in Kitchener but this hotel clearly exceeded my expectations. The place is beautifully designed and extremely clean. The staff was awesome and friendly and incredibly willing to help with anything I needed. I found the room to be comfortable as well.

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled on business
1  Thank Nate L

Dear Nate L,
Thank you for your feedback following your stay at The Walper.
I'm delighted to hear that you were (surprisingly) pleased with your time with us!

Thank you for sharing your feedback, and we look forward to hosting you again when next you are in Kitchener.

Reviewed September 14, 2017 via mobile

Checked in late last night, modern ambience to the recepion, friendly staff. Room decent size, nice modern and clean.
Nice touch with paper bag with coffee in (but I don't like coffee first thing).

However missing toilet paper in the bathroom means lack of detail. And the stylish bathroom is quite impractical to fit even the smallest of travel bags.

Bed is large, but seems very soft (heaven for some people, but not with my back).

Worst of all woken around 7:00 with the sound of drilling and maintenance work. After 30 minutes I called from desk complain. Noise stopped until 7:54. Guess I won't have a lie in after all.

Stayed: September 2017, traveled on business

Dear Stephen C,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your time at The Walper Hotel.

I'm sorry to hear that your rest was disrupted by the maintenance work you reference. I can appreciate that this would detract from a restful morning, and I would like to assure you that this is certainly not our standard.

If you would like to discuss your experience further, I encourage you to contact me directly by phone or e-mail, 519-745-8471 or gm@walper.com.

Thank you again for your feedback, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed September 5, 2017

This is a refurbished heritage building in the heart of Kitchener - great location. I arrived on a holiday Monday to find everything in the hotel shut down except the front desk. Staff were very friendly and called around to find 2 restaurants within walking distance that were open. It was nonetheless surprising to find a $180+tax per night hotel in a smaller city with so little to offer - no room service, no open hotel bar or restaurant, for example.

The heat/cooling system requires an advanced engineering degree to work. The room started too hot. Staff tried to assist but admitted they did not know how to adjust the system. Too hot became too cold and I was never able to change from "blowing lots of cold air." Fortunately there was a duvet.

When I returned to the hotel at the end of a long day, the room had been made up, but there was no refresher of the complementary coffee, and the firmer pillow I had asked for in the morning had not arrived. These were remedied in fairly short order. What was not remedied (as of this writing) was that the TV was today nonfunctional. Staff indicated they would call for service, also that at least one other guest had this issue - but 2h later nothing has happened. A minor but typical issue, in this "tech hub" of southern Ontario the wifi was what I would expect in a Motel 6 - not enough bandwidth for the audience.

This is priced at the top end of Kitchener - Best western was $114, Radisson $139. For the premium the facility and service are just not there yet.

Room Tip: The internal courtyard rooms have no view but are very quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2017, traveled on business
4  Thank Brian_Palmquist

Dear Brian_Palmquist
Thank you for sharing your experience.
I am sorry to hear that your stay with us was negatively impacted by the lack of available services during your time here, and that while we were able to assist to some degree, this was reactive rather than proactive both in the case of these services, as well as in your additional and very reasonable requests.

I apologize that this, combined with the issues with the television and wifi detracted from your experience. In addition to sharing your feedback with the team, I would like to invite you to connect with me directly in order to discuss further. Please do e-mail me at gm@walper.com, or I invite you to connect with me by phone at 519-745-8471.

Thank you again for your feedback, and I look forward to speaking to you further.

Reviewed September 5, 2017

<3<3 pros <3<3
- friendly staff
- central location
- general cleanliness

<3<3 cons <3<3
- room lacked a full length mirror
- lacked basic amenities (i.e. toothbrush), I get that you're trying to save the earth but then maybe don't serve me water in cartons. last time i was in canada the water was safe for drinking...
- breakfast is not included, unlike other large hotels downtown there is no breakfast with the stay, in fact no breakfast at all on wkends, may be an extra cost in time/ energy if you're recovering from a long week out.
- no gym/pool/valet

<3<3 overall <3<3
beneath the scandi-inspired decor and the minimalist look, there are some fundamental things missing on the road to being a true classic (i.e. the W, Ace, etc.). An experience deduced to what it must feel like to buying a packet of ramen noodles with only the flavour packets - something feels lacking.

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tian L
Domini B, General Manager at The Walper Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2017

Hello Tian,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at The Walper. To clarify on a few of the items you've noted in your review, while we do not include breakfast in our guest room rates, we do have a la carte breakfast available in our Barrister's Lounge Monday to Friday, and Brunch in our restaurant, TWH Social available on Saturday and Sunday.
Valet is offered through our front desk, and while we do not have a fitness facility or pool on site, we do provide complimentary passes to Goodlife Fitness Facility, located one block from the hotel.
You've accurately stated that we are committed to reducing our impact on the environment but while we don't have toothbrushes on hand in our guest rooms, we do have these, and many other items that are often forgotten when travelling available through the front desk.
Thank you again for your feedback which I will share with our team. We are always looking for opportunities to exceed our guests' expectation, and you have outlined some great areas where we can improve. I hope we will have the opportunity to host you again when you are next in the Kitchener area.