All reviewscoffee culturebeautiful hoteldowntown kitchenerhotel is newly renovatedbarber shopmunicipal lotfront deskcoffee stationstir sticksmodern fixturespublic parkingcocktail loungeberlin restaurantpaper bagparking validationhandwritten notefresh milk
Reviewed July 24, 2017 via mobile

After a few days planning a trip away to Port Dover we thought how nice it would be adventuring off the beaten path and since my wife just had knee surgery and was cooped up for weeks we figure let's get out of the house and explore places she hasn't visited in Canada.

Great until we booked this online with booking.com which we have used and NEVER have had an issue. We booked with my TD visa debit and received confirmation.

Can't use this card to pay? Can't hold incidentals with this card? $250 hold FYI which we were fine with. (Even offered for them to hold $1,000). We both had multiple forms of Identification but were treated like second class citizens.

This is Canada. they take my card in Cuba and Mexico and the Caribbean, that's kind of funny and we were perplexed.

After long day leaving Niagara at 7am touring around stoping here and there for breakfasts and lunch and little walks we arrive at The Walper Hotel, exhausted we just want to get into room and go to sleep.

It's 8 pm by this time.

Ok well what we do ? Nothing I can do.

Well what can we do? Nothing. I couldn't believe it!

No sympathy, completely rude, after a long day we were in no mood to fight.

Asked for manager, none
on duty, "I'll get her card you can call her tomorrow". Great,like that is a solution.
Claimed he was supervisor but could not do anything. This GSA was more interested in telling us how he worked in ASIA and abroad.

Finally, he said I can find you some where else to stay? Are you kidding me ? No thanks!

Drove away found nice hotel $100 cheaper WITH THE SAME
POLICY that said "we would love to have you", we will hold your incidentals on your card.

Having my own business and my wife in the exact same business in Niagara on the Lake with 3 boutique hotels, we were floored!

Worse experience ever.
This is how not to care for a customer.

The worst part is she really wanted to stay here and was excited to see "how other boutique hotels do it".

Ruined Saturday Night! Thank you Walper Hotel.

Stayed: July 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brad G
Rachael N, Public Relations Manager at The Walper Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2017

Hi Brad G,

Thank you for your feedback.

We're sorry to hear that you were upset with your arrival experience. While our booking.com policy clearly stated that we require a credit card at the time of check in, we have further updated the details of this policy to specifically note that we are not able to accept visa debits as we are not able to pre-authorize this type of card to ensure total clarity.

Having undergone a 10-million dollar renovation, we are committed to delivering an exemplary guest experience, and this particular policy is one that our ambassadors are unable to overlook.

I'm sorry to hear that you were inconvenienced, and hope that we will have the opportunity to host you on another occasion.

Reviewed July 19, 2017

Booked a room for my wife and I in November of 2016 for 2 nights following out wedding in July 2017. When I called the week prior to our stay to confirm the reservation I was told that my reservation was for June 2017 and I was marked as a no-show (I checked my original confirmation email from 2016 and I had booked the correct dates in July, not June). A new booking was made for the correct date at a better price than I was originally offered even though both my wife and I asked to be contacted if they had a promotion or deal we could take advantage of. I was not charged for the no-show though because I was told they haven't been doing that with their current booking system. I called back 20 minutes later to confirm my new booking that had just been made after not receiving an email and the staff could not find the booking in their system. Then I was told the system crashed and they needed to call me back. Finally I received a call and confirmation email for my stay.

A second issue we had was regarding parking in the charles street garage. There was a bug with the parking system that required us to call kitchener parking services who helped straighten things out quickly. But we were told by the parking manager the hotel should have given us a validated ticket. When we asked the hotel staff about the situation they said they didn't know anything and it was the cities issue.

Overall, the hotel itself was exactly what we were hoping for for a small getaway. But the staff seemed very disorganized and didn't instill confidence in their abilities to run a hotel. We managed to make the stay happen, but nothing was done to make our stay special during the time of our wedding. It was less than I was expecting for an up-scale hotel with rates that exceed the competition.

• Stayed: July 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank Zach S
Rachael N, Public Relations Manager at The Walper Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2017

Hi Zach S,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback, we really appreciate hearing about your time with us so we can improve our guest experiences. We can assure you this is not the standard of the hotel and we will be investigating this to make sure these situations are executed properly for all of our guests.

We're sorry to hear about the struggle in regards to your reservation, the hotel has been switched to a new operating system in the recent months and we apologize for any errors or mistakes that had been made in navigating the new system. We have been continuously learning and communicating any errors that have arisen, we are grateful for your feedback so we can ensure this will not happen in the future.

In regards to the parking issue, the hotel is able to validate our guest's tickets for in and out privileges in the garage. We have shared this feedback with our front desk team to improve our communication as to the function and limitations of the validation system.

We encourage you to reach out to us directly to discuss these issues that you experienced. We very much look forward to having you in again and our goal is to turn your stay into a 5-star+ stay the next time!

Reviewed July 18, 2017

This was AMAZING! The rooms were beautiful. The staff were helpful and wonderful. The tub was to die for!!!! Definitely, a wonderful way to spend a night after you get married. Upon leaving I had forgotten a vase of flowers and the hotel staff went up to the room to retrieve it for me. I appreciated this so much! I would highly recommend staying here. An added plus is the amazing restaurants next to and near the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2017, traveled as a couple

Hi Pamela L,

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback! We are so pleased you enjoyed yourself as our guest, and congratulations!

Our ambassadors always do their best to help out our guests, so it is great to hear you experienced this. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future!

Reviewed July 16, 2017 via mobile

We stayed in a Pocket King, on the 3rd floor facing into a Terrace.
Arrival - you pull up on Queen St (One-way) put your 4-ways on, check-in & off-load your luggage.
Staff are very friendly and efficient, parking is a quick right on Charles St and another quick right just before Benton St into the parking garage( a block away).
The hotel is newly renovated - but has kept the charm of a past era, on-site Barber Shop, Tobacconist, Lounge & Coffee Shop (Coffee Culture).
Where possible they have kept the original Mosaic Tile Floors and made an effort to keep the same feel in the guest rooms.
The Pocket King was good value for your money, the room has a modern feel with one of the most comfortable King-sized beds I have ever slept in (do we have to leave?)
There is a bit of hall noise/noise from above - but nothing out of ordinary for a 'boutique' hotel.
Great hotels go out of their way to provide a unique experience- The Walper room has a Chemex Coffee Maker (I've always wanted to try) with local Smile Tiger Coffee.
The bedside alarm clock/phone doubles as a Bluetooth speaker and has several phone charging adapters (Apple old & new).
Check-out is a very comfortable noon - would definitely stay here again, wait it's 1 min to The Berlin restaurant the reason we booked!

Stayed: July 2017, traveled as a couple
Rachael N, Public Relations Manager at The Walper Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2017

Hi RumJOro,

Thank you so much for your lovely feedback! Throughout our renovations we strove to keep the integrity of our old historic self, so it means a lot to us that you enjoyed it! We do our best to provide individual, unique experiences and are continually making efforts to increase our awareness of guests' needs.

We are so excited to welcome you back to the Walper the next time you are in the Waterloo Region.

Reviewed July 9, 2017 via mobile

Great hotel, cool, different, loved it. Wish you could find hotels like this in more cities, so much better than the big chains! Well equipped room, tiny bathroom but with a great shower. Great bar downstairs. Attended a wedding and the facilities were great!

Stayed: July 2017, traveled on business
Rachael N, Public Relations Manager at The Walper Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2017

Hi Cathy M,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We are so happy you enjoyed the second floor bar as this is a space we adore.

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and cannot wait to welcome you back to The Walper at your next visit.