“Too many bad surprises”

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Kitchener
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
“Too many bad surprises”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2006

We arrived to find 1/2 of the hotel's outside covered in construction material. Since we had called personally to make the reservation, this should have been mentioned. Well, okay they took dogs, and we have one, so we went inside and hoped for the best......Since we were there for 2 days, not just an overnight, we told them we did not want a noisy room with scaffolding in front of the window. They had a difficult time finding such a room but did have one. We loaded everything on to the elevator and up we went, only to find scaffolding outside the window!!! Down we go again to the reception. Yes they have another room for us without the scaffolding. We changed rooms and within 20 minutes of moving in, quite to our surprise, a guy opens the door and walks in with his luggage!! Now we are VERY annoyed. Calls to the reception- they are very sorry, etc. and reduce the first night's fee but a very bad taste for this hotel and the service cannot be over ridden. Besides the picture of the hotel on the web site and the actual view every time we drove up, were horses of a different color. We wouldn't go back!

• Liked — they took dogs
  • Disliked — staff did not have a clue!
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask about the construction and be guaranteed a room with construction outside the window
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank jhb1983

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2006

We stayed at the Radisson Hotel Kitchener for one night. The Hotel is easy to locate from the highway.
Upon arrival at the front desk we were greeted very nicely. The staff at the Radisson is very nice and accommodating and go out of their way to please you. We were scheduled to stay in a smoking room (only room available when we booked by phone) but I asked if they had had any cancellations and they had a non smoking room available. The non smoking room was on the same floor as a kids hockey team so we decided to go check out the smoking room first on the 7th floor. Upon getting out of the elevator the smell of cigarette smoke is overpowering. WOW (and I don't usually mind smoke smell, many of our friends smoke). We continued to go check the room out because they had put a machine in there that day, before we got there to get the smell out(iodizer?). Well if you love lemons thats the strong smell youl'l get- it was just too much, too strong. We returned to the front desk and opted for the non smoking room on the 4th floor with the hockey team.
The room had two double beds, tv, nintendo, coffeemaker, cups, complimentary coffee and condiments. They also have travel size shampoo, conditioner,lotion... The drawer and closet space is ample. Theres plenty of towels and they do have extra pillows and blankets.
We went with our children, ages 12 and 9yrs. The Radisson has an indoor pool but its small. I'd say it's smaller then an inground pool in the backyard, gets crowded with more then 12 people, and it gets loud in the small room where its located. They do offer towels by the pool though.
We did eat at one of their restaurants called the Charcoal Steak House Inc. Beautiful set up and fantastic food. The homebaked bread they give you thats been cooked in a flower pot is very good.
They give you these three flavoured butters to spread or dip. They also have a children's menu. Very reasonable. Not cheap but not expensive.
The hotel does offer a warm and cold breakfast at a cost of $11.00 per adult, and kids eat free. Great touch.
The hotel is nice, not deluxe. There is again like a past reviewer put a smell in the rooms. You really can't make it out exactly but its not overpowering, its just there and can be gone with a room freshner. I didn't let anything get on the carpet, it would need a good cleaning and the idea that a small pet might of ... doesn't thrill me. I wish they would have a section for pet owners who do bring their pets.
Now to the hockey team parents...again I'm a sports mom, but I don't go talking LOUD in the hallway at 6:30am. I show respect for others that are sleeping so that my children in turn will learn respect.
Good stay, GREAT staff.

• Stayed January 2006
4 Thank Blaro
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2005

We had read the reviews posted on the Tripadvisor site before booking the hotel. We should have listened to the visitor from Kincardine, Ontario. The smell of body odour was absolutely over powering. We checked into two rooms on the 6th floor and asked to see another on the fourth floor. All of them smelled. We checked out immediately the next morning. After one night of smells and worn down mattresses that sagged in the middle...we had enough!

• Stayed October 2005
3 Thank serbgal
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2005

Along with my husband and myself, we had many family members and friends young and old, many from many miles away, join us to celebrate our son's wedding in Kitchener. The wedding was in August and I pre-booked all the rooms early May. I received a confirmation letter and number. Our out of town guests were unable to access the rooms until 3 pm. which is when the wedding was taking place. After many hours on the road guests were unable to get in their rooms or freshen up.
Our biggest most upsetting problem was when we arrived on the Friday ready for the Church rehearsal and dinner. We found ourselves faced with no rooms....None!! Nothing for ourselves or our guests. I had phoned and double checked the confirmation the day before we left (Thursday evening) all was well then. However, when we arrived Friday we were told everything had been cancelled at our request???? Why on earth would we phone and cancel arrangements and rooms that had been held since May????? We stood arguing at the front desk for an hour and a half. We repeated our situation to three or more people before we finally got to the manager, when we had to repeat the whole deal once again. We finally got rooms for ourselves and our guests but missed the rehearsal at the Church. I have only one son and this was very upsetting to me.
Once in our room, we complained to front desk as the room had an awful odour to it. I'm sure the bedspread had not be changed in many months and smelled terribly of BO. It was disgusting, plus we had our wedding clothes in the room. It was so bad we had to put all our clothes back in the car. Maintenance came in but all they did was spray the room which did nothing to help. I had to purchase candles and odour trappers to make the room a little better to stay in. Each time we walked into the room the smell knocked us back.
It was a very expensive stay, financially and emotionally. Endless frustration, no discount for the trouble we were put through with the cancellation of our rooms, and very uncomforatble and inconvenient staying in a smelly room with our clothes in the trunk of our car in the parking lot. I received a call from the Radison, Customer Relations a few weeks after the wedding weekend stay as I had filled in a complaint card. I explained the whole situation to her and she said she'd get back to me, of course she never did.
I would never again stay at that hotel. If anyone else does, be sure to confirm your hotel rooms the evening before, phone again before you arrive, keep your confirmation numbers, take full names of the people you speak to, and arrive extra early in case of major errors made by the front desk staff. Perhaps even take some air deodorizer with you. It was amazing to us how no one at front desk took blame for this cancellation. Someone took our name out of the computer the night before...................... Definitely the sore point and spoiler of our "Wedding Weekend."

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2005

I travel extensively -- I'm in hotels 40 weekends a year. I always have 2-3 trips to Kitchener, and I make it a point to stay with these folks. (In January I stay for a full week.) They remember you from trip to trip. They help any way they can to make your room more comfortable, to add little amenities, to keep in mind those places you wanted to see and extra errands you should remember to run. For a hotel chain, it's amazing to be treated like a family member.

That's the people side of it. The rooms? Comfortable, extremely well-kept, upper middle class if not ultraposh. Good breakfast, if a little pricey. Terrific housekeeping; staff makes extra efforts. Parking is a breeze. Very convenient to just about everywhere you need to go in the area.

Bottom line: The best. Stay here -- you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2004

Stayed there in June 04. Nice room and friendly staff. Very competent which is rare sometimes. You get a coffee maker and 2 mugs with every room which is nice but one of my mugs left and never came back. Very annoying if there 2 people there. Guess housekeeper forgot top bring it back. I called down to ask for another one. Almost before I got off the phone a hotel staff member was there. Amazing speed, literally 1 minute.
The room was clean and well furnished. Pretty good bed and a decent sized TV (25-27") Nice continental breakfast if you want a light start to the day. Again, friendly staff. 3 good restaurants are also next door. I loved Martini's! Charcoal and Martini's are fairly expensive but good. BBQ chicken was great. Small but very good. Had it 3 times. One knock is that the parking lot gets pretty full at night and it can be quite a chore to find a spot.
All-in-all. Enjoyed staying there and would definately go back for the Hotel and Martini's.

4 Thank Capricious26
ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2003

We stayed there for 2 nites in July 2003. The place was very clean, nice and recently updated. Their go packages are well worth the money.
The buffet breakfast was fabulous - a true buffet in every way. Its location is easy to get to. The staff was very friendly and obliging.

6 Thank misslindy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kitchener
City Commercial Core
Crowne Plaza Kitchener-Waterloo
Holiday Inn Kitchener
#6 of 14 in Kitchener
The Walper Hotel
#4 of 14 in Kitchener
Delta Hotels Waterloo
#2 of 9 in Waterloo

Been to Radisson Hotel Kitchener? Share your experiences!