“Stay away, had an awful stay!”

Radisson Hotel Kitchener
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Kitchener
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Not a good stay. In town for Oktoberfest. Just looking for place to stay while in town for the festivities. Things started poorly when they messed up on the type of room we wanted. I booked via the Radisson booking line. Asked for a room with two beds. When we got there, the front desk staff were not very friendly, didn't smile, and were not very accommodating. The first room they gave us was on the 6th floor. It had only one bed. We went down and requested a room with two beds. It was on the 7th floor this time. They mentioned there might be a slight smell of smoke, but that the hotel was now smoke free and they had deodorized the rooms. When we stepped out of the elevator the smell of smoke/nicotine hit us like a wall. Was very overpowering.

We asked about breakfast, which was not included. You had to pay $7 per person extra for it. Whatever, most good hotels like Hampton, Holiday Inn or Hilton hotels do not charge anything, as it is complimentary! Very poor taste to not comp breakfast.

Upon checking out, I found out they put a $75 charge on my credit card for incidentals. It takes 5 business days to come off my card?

Stay away from this dump and do yourself a favour and book with a more professional hotel which is dedicated to its customers.

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel, book with Holiday Inn or Hilton.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank putzboy
Samantha W, Front Office Manager at Radisson Hotel Kitchener, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Dear putzboy

I am so sorry to hear about this issue. This is not our usual services. We work very hard to meet guests requests. I am unable to check your reservation information because I don't see your reservation made name.

All property has different way to run business and breakfast situation. We do pre-authorize $75 per night and it depends on individual credit card company to get that back to your account. We do release that amount as soon as guests check out from our system. This is standard procedure in hotel industry.

If you have any further questions then do not hesitate to contact me on 519-894-9500 ext. 106 and I will be more then happy to help you out.

There are newer reviews for Radisson Hotel Kitchener

Reviewed September 28, 2013

The hotel's location is on the southern edge of Kitchener - so, not terribly central. It has ample parking though and is within walking distance of a large mall. It is on a fairly busy road, so if you are a light sleeper, I'd recommend ear plugs.

The rooms are comfortable, but not luxurious. I understand the hotel is going to be renovated later this year, so perhaps this will change.

The front of house staff are friendly and efficient and the staff in the breakfast room are wonderful. I am sure they have a lot of people passing through, but by the second day the one lady knew who I was. The restaurants associated with the hotel are very good and do a lot of local, non-hotel trade.

There is a small gym and pool, but be warned they are over-looked by the breakfast room, so if you are shy...

Overall - a no-frills, comfortable stay.

Room Tip: 7th floor seems to be the pet floor. I was put into one of these rooms, which was fine for me as I w...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank MJBCapeTown
Samantha W, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Kitchener, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear,
MJB Cape Town

Thank you very much for your comments. I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay as well as breakfast. We work very hard to meet guest needs. On guests request we will try to assign the room off the road so light sleeper don't get disturb and I would like to apologies if you had to face this issue.

Please contact us on your second visit to assign the room off the road and we will try our best to accommodate your request. If you have any questions then do not hesitate to contact me.

Jash Manani
Guest Services Manager
519-894-9500 ext. 106

Reviewed September 23, 2013

I reserved the king suite for 2 nights (first night 144$ 2nd night 146$). Check in was good. Very nice lady (wish I could remember her name). Got to my floor, smelled great and looked clean. Opened the door to my room.. work desk right in front of the door. Room was clean. There was a living room type area with couch. The TV was situated in a way that you could not relax on the couch and watch TV. The bathroom was very long with 2 sinks and a regular size tub with shower. The bed was way to big for the bedroom. I am not a big sized person and I still could not walk to the other side of the bed, I had to turn side ways and shimmy over lol
My first night I was hungry and just wanted to relax in my room, I drove a long way. I decided to order some room service. The menu was very confusing and I had to call twice to ask questions about it. Once I figured out that I can order off of both menu's I was good to go. I order the jumbo prawn shrimp cocktail, the brushetta, and a french onion soup. I also ordered a bottle of white wine. The food came quite quickly and I was happy about that.. my happiness was quickly replaced with shock and complete disappointment. My total was 73.00$ (shock).. I wanted to tell her to take the food back but I didn't want to be rude so I just paid her ..
Now here is where the disappointment comes in..
My food was sitting on the desk. 4 medium sized shrimp laying there on a large white plate with a blob of cocktail sauce and a slice of lemon. 2 pizza slices of their style of brushetta and a decent looking french onion soup. It was not visually appealing to say the least and I was no longer looking forward to eating this, but I was hungry...
I started to eat the soup and it was decent. I picked up a warm floppy shrimp and went to take a bite and there was a very strong seafood odour and the tails looked kind of green..I just couldn't eat it.. I spit out my bite. took a drink of wine.. Time to try the brushetta.. I tried to pick one up but it was stuck to the plate they were on and it was very heavy ..
I moved back to the soup and the wine.. but now the soup is getting cold causing the cheese to just become one big chunk.. good wine!
In the end, I didn't touch the shrimp.. I ate not even half of 1 slice of brushetta with a fork and knife because I couldn't pick it up and most of the soup until it was no longer edible.
But, I did drink the wine!! - it was not their house wine.
On friday evening I decided I would like to stay 1 more night and called the front desk. The guy on the phone said the room I was in was booked Saturday evening. Ok not much I can do about that.. so I ask if there is another room and he said there were no more suites available but I can get a standard room for 185$. Now I am not a cheapy type person especially when it comes to where I am going to sleep and shower.. but this Hotel is not worth 185$ a night.
So, I called another Hotel (review coming for this very nice and accommodating hotel) not to far from this one and spoke to a very nice gentleman who was happy to have me as a guest in their hotel. I reserved a standard room 40$ cheaper with a free breakfast :)
I will be visiting Kitchener a few times in 2014 and won't be a guest at Radisson Hotel

Room Tip: king suites are nice. but the bed is way to big for the bedroom.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank JMthetraveler
Samantha W, Front Office Manager at Radisson Hotel Kitchener, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Hi JennyMay519,

I am so sorry that your recent stay with us fell below your expectations. We pride ourselves in offering excellence in customer service and I apologize that this was not the case for you. I will follow up in regards to your room service order with the restaurant and I will also bring your comments to the attantion of the Front Desk Team. Again I do apologize and I hope that you will stay with us once again in the future and allow us the opportunity to "wow" you.

Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

I was in town briefly and needed a hotel. I got a great deal and the hotel was very pet friendly. Even gave my dog a little bag of treats. I was placed on the pet floor. The floor and the room were very clean. I never would have known it was a pet room if they didn't tell me. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: September 2013
Samantha W, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Hotel Kitchener, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear Jillybackpack

Thank you very much for your comment. I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am very happy to say that we do welcome our faithful friend to our property and treat as family. We always arrange pet friendly room on request. Our team work very hard to meet guests requirements.

Thank you for your lovely comment and I shall see you in future some time.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

The check in was speedy, and the people there were nice. The room was very clean, and comfortable, and room service was very good! My sleep was comfortable however; I woke up with a rash covering my entire body and even my face! I was so embarrassed that I could not even go to the front desk to approach them about it. I am missing work because of it! I will not be staying here again, nor do I recommend it. I wrote to the hotel of my complaint, and they only sent me a generic response saying that they were sorry about my issues. You'd THINK they'd offer a discount or a refund for my anguish!!!!!

Room Tip: Make sure the blankets are washed...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Blaq2013

Dear Sir/Madam

I am so sorry to hear that you had this issue. We work very hard to meet guests requirements. This is not usual issue in our property. I would like to apologies from our all team. However I haven't heard anything from our housekeeping team or any guest who stayed with us. We have non-feather bedding available in our property but it has to requested before arrival. Our team will be more then happy to make your stay very comfortable.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband & I checked into the Radisson on Friday, August 23rd to stay the night after our wedding reception. I had indicated when I booked online that it was for the night of our wedding and when I got to the front desk to check in I was extremely surprised to find out we had been upgraded to a business suite on the top floor....a definite plus! The room was extremely spacious, the bathroom especially....would have been nicer to stay more then 1 night. The staff at the front desk were extremely helpful and pleasant. We did have a problem with the bed and some stray hairs that were left behind but when I called the front desk, they sent up a housekeeper right away to change all the bedding. Also, the bed was a sleep # bed and it did not work but oh well, can't complain for a free upgrade.
Overall we really enjoyed our stay at the Radisson, the staff definitely helped make the stay pleasant. I would recommend it to anyone visiting the Kitchener area.

Room Tip: Business suite rooms come with a sleep # bed!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi Bahamasgirl82,

Thank you for your kind words and congratulations on your marriage!!
I am very happy to hear that we not only met but exceeded your expectations!
Perhaps we will see you on your first anniversary!!

Reviewed August 30, 2013

We spent one night at this hotel and purchased the Bingemans water park package. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Hotel is in a good location with Fairway Rd. right there which has everything as far as restaurants, stores, malls ect. goes. As for the room, it was very clean and pretty modern looking. It wasn't overly fancy or luxurious but it has everything you need. The free breakfast was very good, probably one of the better breakfasts I've had at a hotel. Overall, it was a good stay and would stay here again and also recommend it to anyone planning on staying in Kitchener.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank CdnSoxBruinsFan

Hi CdnSoxBruinsFan!

I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us while you were visiting Bingemans Water Park! We are fortunate that our location allows us such close proximity to so many area amenities. I hope that you will be our guest once again when you are in the Kitchener/Waterloo area!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kitchener
Kitchener Inn and Suites
#1 of 14 in Kitchener
City Commercial Core
Crowne Plaza Kitchener-Waterloo
Holiday Inn Kitchener
#6 of 14 in Kitchener
The Walper Hotel
#4 of 14 in Kitchener

Been to Radisson Hotel Kitchener? Share your experiences!