“Great all around” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Kitchener
Porters Lake, Canada
“Great all around”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

I've stayed here numerous times but this was my first time here in close to 3 years. The hotel hasn't changed much at all in that time span but it remains a favourite for me when travelling to KW. The highlight of the room is definitely the sleep number bed, very comfortable and has great pillows and a heavy comforter. I was treated to a king bed which gave me a little more room within the suite to move around. The room was nicely appointed with all the usual furniture including a bar fridge (empty), a microwave and coffee maker. The bathroom is spacious and also well stocked with quality goods. The ~40" LCD is great and has plenty of channels but the internet is where this hotel falls short. It caters to business travellers but the "free" wifi is only 512kbps, its horribly slow. The 5mbit a day option is $15/per, insane. I had a 4G Mobile Hotspot that I used instead, well worth the investment when travelling. TV has HDMI ports so I could connect my BlackBerry 10 device and BlackBerry Playbook to watch movies, it was great.

Room Tip: Free internet is horribly slow, get a mobile hotspot if you can, well worth the investment.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Samantha W, Front Office Manager at Radisson Hotel Kitchener, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Hi Exercitus!

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit and that you find our Sleep Number Bed comfortable! In regrads to the internet I would like to make you aware that if you are a Club Carlson member or if you sign up to become a member (It's free to join!!) the highest level of our internet service is free for you!
I do hope that you will be our guest again when your travels bring you back to the Kitchener area!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Charlottetown, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

After a long day driving we were completely pleased with this hotel. Service at the front desk was excellent, the room was clean and comfortable and quiet. Exceptional however was the Mediterranean restaurant that provided the room service. The evening dinner was amazing and the breakfast next morning great as well. Thank you Radisson, I don't believe we have ever stayed in one before, we will search one out next trip away.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IslandCowgirl1961
Samantha W, Front Office Manager at Radisson Hotel Kitchener, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Hi Island Cowgirl1961,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay! I do hope that you will stay with us again when you are back in the area!
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

Cleanliness is a main issue for me and the room was clean...Next to that it's all about the mattress and unfortunately the sleep number bed didn't work. Once you're settled into a room you don't really want maintenance coming and interrupting your stay so we didn't say anything. The breakfast was fine but they need to do something about the waffle maker as it is not the greatest. Radisson, if you read this, please check out the waffle maker at Salvatores Italian Garden hotel in Cheektowaga. It's the best! I guess my only other issue would be with the size of the closet. I guess nothing can be done about it but my goodness is it small!!! Unfortunately, I don't know how to travel light so it was pretty full...The staff were great and the hotel is next to a bunch of restaurants which is super convenient. Del Dente has excellent Italian food...but don't waste your hard earned money at Charcoals. Paid $40 for a rib eye steak that was pretty pathetic...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jojo2008
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am so sorry to hear that you did not like our Sleep Number Beds. Please note that for any future visits we do have an entire floor of beds with regular mattresses for guest such as yourself who prefer them. Thank you for your feedback regarding the waffle maker I will be sure to pass the information along to our food and beverage team. Again thank you for your feedback as we do consider it a gift.
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Generally the hotel is to the type of standard you would expect of the Radisson chain. The good points are that the rooms are to a good standard with flat screen TVs and plenty of channels. The staff are very helpful and friendly. There are also three very nice restaurants within a minute's walk. I'm struggling to find and major bad points, but maybe just be aware that if you are in the top floors, the elevator can be a pain at busy times in the morning. Better in my view to have a lower floor room where you can reasonably take the stairs.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Hi Cooks_Cork,

Thank you for your kind words. I do agree that we have the friendliest staff in the area!
I hope that you will be our guest again in the very near future!!
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

The hotel itself is nothing special but the good price, the very attentive service and the location (close to highway, town and 1min away from 3 very good restaurants) make it a very good choice when you have to stay in that area. Rooms are basic but clean, fair size and the king size beds are comfortable. Breakfast is not extensive but good: you can also make your own waffles and then add strawberries or blueberry jam and cream, all always available.
Laundry service and room service work very well and not pricey at all (when you order food, you will speak directly with one of those 3 restaurants I have written above so the menu is quite large).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ItalianDieguito
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit and I do hope that you will be our guest once again when your travels bring you back to the area.
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

Had to stay three nights in Kitchener as we were attending a funeral in the area. Chose this hotel because of its central location and near to the highway. Hotel was clean but basic by my standards. Only stayed here because other family members had already booked into this hotel. Found the room with two queen beds to be cramped for four people. The coffee in the room with the coffee maker was worse than other hotel rooms I have stayed in but that is just my personal taste. Room coffee is never very good.
There is a major mall beside the hotel which some people might like. (not me though). I did not much like the outlook of the hotel in any direction.
Beds had some sort of adjustable air feature so that you could make the bed softer or firmer.
Elevators were very slow.
Wouldn't stay here for a vacation.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Samantha W, Front Office Manager at Radisson Hotel Kitchener, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Hi nagal1,
I am sorry to hear that you found your room to be cramped and that you found that you did not enjoy our sleep number beds. For any future visits please know that we do have an entire floor of rooms with regular mattresses for guests such as yourself who prefer them.
I do hope that when you are back in the area that will allow us another opportunity to "wow" you.
Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stayed here for two nights over a weekend and found the hotel to be clean and well-managed. The room was nicely appointed with a king-sized bed, and a good sized bathroom with lots of counter space. We had room service for breakfast the first morning, which was delivered fresh and hot at the requested time. The second morning we had the breakfast buffet; we chose the basic option, which had a decent variety of choices. and there were additional hot items available for a modest add-on cost.

Our only complaint was the "Sleep Number" bed, which claims to offer a superior level of comfort because its firmness can be customized. Essentially, it's an inflatable bladder that causes the firmness to vary; the King mattress has two bladders, allowing each side of the bed to be adjusted independently. The bladder doesn't distribute your weight evenly so softer settings feel a bit like sleeping in a hammock while a firmer setting is like sleeping on top of a rounded rock. We found the midpoint of the range was best for us, especially since it avoided the risk of the person sleeping on the firmer side of the bed rolling "downhill" onto the softer side. We personally felt that the Sleep Number concept was more of a gimmick than a convenience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face onto King Street, and the noisier Highways 7 & 8 just beyon...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KWGuy56
Samantha W, Front Office Manager at Radisson Hotel Kitchener, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Hi KWGuy56!!
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit with us! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I did want to let you know that we do have an entire floor of rooms that do not have Sleep Numbers Beds but boast regular mattresses for guests such as yourself who prefer them. I do hope that you will be back for another visit in the near future!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kitchener
City Commercial Core
Crowne Plaza Kitchener-Waterloo
Holiday Inn Kitchener
#6 of 14 in Kitchener
The Walper Hotel
#4 of 14 in Kitchener
Delta Hotels Waterloo
#2 of 9 in Waterloo

Been to Radisson Hotel Kitchener? Share your experiences!