Our reservation was made via the IHG web site. At the time of booking there was no mention of the hotel being 'under construction'. Admittedly the majority of the hotel is finished, however, there is enough of it not ready and not as they claim 'completed'.
Access to the hotel was difficult up steps and the assistance offered was someone holding a door open whilst we struggled with cases. The temporary lobby was not at all welcoming.
The check in went smoothly after we were assured everything else in the hotel was finished and we would not be experiencing any works over the holiday weekend.
The room we were allocated on the seventh floor (adults only floor) was very nice. Very modern and nicely finished. There is no complimentary water in the rooms here as there is in other Crowne Plazas. When I queried this I was told there is a vending machine on another floor. Ice machines are also available on other floors.
The beds are very good (new) as are the TVs and heating set up. The in room fridge is very noisy.
Breakfasts are not good. Why do they think that quantity is a substitute for quality? There was only one member of staff available on the first morning and we had to wait for him to show up from time to time so we could order drinks etc. The choices on the buffet were not great, having just come from the Crowne Plaza at Niagra where the breakfast was excellent. This felt like a Holiday Inn Express breakfast that was badly done.
The scrambled eggs were the worst I have ever seen, I couldn't bring myself to taste them. They resembled a solid block of rubbery yellow / grey mess! The hash browns were soft and slushy, bacon was just ok, as were the sausages. The pancakes had congealed into a rubbery mass. There was no brown bread, the milk ran out. There was no continental meat/cheese available. It was the worst breakfast I have ever had at any Crowne Plaza.
There was a little noise during the night which woke us both up, sounded like someone vacuuming at 4am! Never did identify the source of the noise.
Day two breakfast was no better than the first, in fact it had been dismantled and wrapped up as they were preparing for an Easter Sunday brunch and had clearly decided to do so before the end of advertised breakfast times without telling the guests.
The swimming pool in the hotel is quite nice, a little small and the area around the pool is being used as storage whilst building works complete. The pool was also closed for a period of time for a private function, hotel guests were excluded during this time. We think it was for a children's party.
There is a fee for parking at the hotel of $12+tax! at time of booking it said parking was available but no mention of charges. It is not secure parking.
The area the hotel is situated in is not great. It is central and on a main street but the first time we stepped out of the hotel we were confronted with a drunk on one side of the street and a cop arresting another undesirable on the opposite sidewalk. The centre of the city is littered with down and outs, drunks and other non desirables. You probably wouldn't want to walk out alone after dark here, my other half certainly didn't want to and that was with me being there.
The hotel wi-fi has been hit and miss, the signal keeps dropping just when you are in the middle if something and it repeatedly ask you to log in again and again.
I did mention some of the issues raised here with reception staff and they did put a few bottles of water in the fridge. The matter of the hotel being incomplete is being ignored! The bill was slipped under the door in the night, am about to go and discuss contents with management.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Crowne Plaza Kitchener-Waterloo is Kitchener's largest and premier full service hotel. Ideally located in the heart of downtown Kitchener, the Crowe Plaza Kitchener-Waterloo is the jewel of downtown, providing upscale accommodations and meetings/conference facilities. With a multi-million dollar renovation completed each guest room is a brand new room, offering our guest a luxurious stay. The Crowne Plaza Kitchener-Waterloo boasts 201 modernly designed guestrooms, 17 000 square feet of meeting/function space, onsite restaurant and lounge, indoor swimming pool, full fitness and recreation centre including two bowling lanes and mini putt. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Crowne Plaza Kitchener-Waterloo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Delta Kitchener-Waterloo Hotel Kitchener
- Delta Hotel Kitchener
- Kitchener Delta Hotel
- Crowne Plaza Kitchener-Waterloo Ontario