“No towels or soap in room, but front desk resolved issue”

Holiday Inn Kitchener
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Kitchener
Halton Hills, Canada
“No towels or soap in room, but front desk resolved issue”
Reviewed March 9, 2009

Checked into room, and headed off to the pool, and every hotel I've been to has towels there, however they had none what so ever, I figured they went to go get more and when I got out 20 minutes later, still no towels, ended up walking back to room dripping wet and wanted to shower as I felt disgusting, and in the bathroom, no soap! I was going to call but figured i'd go to the front desk and tell them in person and they felt sympathetic for me and upgraded me to a executive suite at no cost for the hassle.

The front desk was friendly at checkin, when I brought up my issue, and at checkout, didn't see the stuck up feeling at all from them by what some have posted here. Mayb a rude staff years ago?

The room I was upgraded to have a lcd tv, upgraded desk chair but bathroom was stuck in the 70s and I was on floor 6. They need a reno for the bathroom in those rooms to really show a difference, but overall I had a great sleep as the bed was comfy (as all holiday inns have).

Also, the pool was very retro, 80s feeling to it, and tiles can be slippery! If your elderly becareful, i'm surprised none on the ones who were in the pool didn't slip! Also, needs a reno.

This hotel has some sort of deal with sport teams the checkin lady told me, so if you don't like to be around a lot of kids who cause some noise, don't go here, however I noticed the noise was minimal, but light sleepers beware.

I wouldn't go back here again due to that, and the need a renos thru the hotel.

I liked the free parking, wifi option provided by the hotel, and staff. Shame some of the staff work here, they could work at a better hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Korean first
ontario
Reviewed October 2, 2008

I booked the room on Expedia.ca, and when I got there the check in was fast and efficiant. I liked the staff as they were very friendly. I had a king suite, but the room was kinda small for my liking, but I accepted it as is. The room was clean, and the food was good. It was a good stay, but I have seen better hotels with this kind of rating, and money's worth.

• Liked — The comfort of the bed
  • Disliked — Room was too small
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Kitchener hotels

Barrie
Reviewed August 11, 2008

My friend and I spent two nights at the hotel to visit the markets and do a little shopping. I booked the room through the hotel site and used my credit card for booking. When we got there I said at the front desk that I would like to pay with debit. I was told that they would hold 200 instead of the 50 when it is debit????? I felt like I was being punished for using debit plus I did not know this policy at all. They where nice enough to change my room when I realized that we where overlooking a parking lot instead of the pool. My coffee make did not work but they replaced it. While we stayed there a wedding reception was taking place on the main level of the hotel. I was suprised that we had to walk past people in the hallway the get to the pool. The pool and whirlpool was great but we did have to watch our timing to have a quieter time....lots of kids at times...rough playing. I did find the rooms clean, great location for what we planned on our trip, and the service was acceptable.

• Liked — location and clean
  • Disliked — how far away the indoor pool was to our room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
windsor
Reviewed July 14, 2008

Lobby was nice but the room was far from the pool and restaurant. The entrance we had to use was "C" entrance towards the back of the hotel and you had to hold your breath till you got threw the other doors, I was worried the smell would be the same in the hallway but luckily is was not. Room was average bathroom way too small and no fridge or microwave which I thought was standard now a days, but they wanted another $25 bucks for fridge and micro how stupid was that!!!!
Besides that pool was ok, I just found the rooms too far from everything.

• Liked — 3 pillows on the bed
  • Disliked — smell in the stairway
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Collingwood, Canada
Reviewed July 12, 2008

We booked this hotel, last minute. Upon arrival, reception was nice, friendly, then we walked to our room......3 miles away coridor after coridor.....shabby hall-ways, full of sports teams, kids, and then finally our shabby dark room. Parking view. 2 double beds. Not Queens. ( we are a family of 4) The linens smelled.

Turned on our TV and it blew up. Called front desk and they put us in another room down the hall. Since the fumes from the TV were terrible and a potential danger, accordiing to front desk. I have to agree. It smelled quite bad.

Kids went for a swim, indoors, full of a soccer team of kids and parents drinking from a plastic glass ( hint. Remember to bring plastic glass if you want that option)

Went to bed. Alarm clock went off at 5am! ugh. ( forgot to check before going to bed....but we did check the first room though!!) Bathroom - very small. You can brush your teeth and use the toilet at the same time, if that is important to you. ha.

Breakfast is not included. Buffet- We felt it was over-priced for the quality of food. So we ordered from the menu. I asked for the Healthy plate ( One egg, fruit, toast) What arrived? An egg, toast and an orange ( not cut or peeled!) really! An ORANGE . I couldn't believe it! Oh my!

We won't be back, as we have done our research and you CAN find better than this for this price. Yup! I am picky, but I also want value for my money. This wasn't it.

Any questions,- please feel free to ask me.

• Liked — I can't think of anything. SORRY!
  • Disliked — The value.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank StephanieinOntario
Centralia, Washington
Reviewed August 25, 2007

I was traveling to Kitchener for business, and this hotel was close to where I'd be working. The hotel was fine, there was nothing great about it, or anything really wrong with it. It was clean, which is important to me. The bathroom was very small, two people could not be in there at the same time getting ready. The bed was fine, lots of pillows. I thought the area was kind of "ghetto", but when I mentioned that to the people at work, they seemed surprised and said it wasn't. It was close to the freeway and very convenient. I wouldn't have wanted to be there for a pleasure trip, but for a business trip the accomodations were fine.

• Liked — Close to the freeway, free wifi, nearby restaurants.
  • Disliked — Small bathroom, had a "motel" feel.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Erica R
Perinton, NY
Reviewed July 21, 2006

The hotel is wonderful, from front desk staff to housekeeping. Our trip coincided with three youth sporting events and two weddings. It was a loud place to be but folks were quiet by 11 pm. Terrffic restaurant that catered to my finicky children's palates. We took advantage of their African Lion Safari Package.

Stayed June 2006
2 Thank Hiking4Hawks
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kitchener
Radisson Hotel Kitchener
#2 of 14 in Kitchener
Kitchener Inn and Suites
#1 of 14 in Kitchener
City Commercial Core
Crowne Plaza Kitchener-Waterloo
The Walper Hotel
#3 of 14 in Kitchener

Been to Holiday Inn Kitchener? Share your experiences!