“Underwhelmed”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Kitchener
Sarnia, Canada
“Underwhelmed”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I think these people are in the wrong business. The service was adequate, once they noticed I was there. The room was not very clean, and my coffee pot, mugs and bathroom were not cleaned during my stay. The towel that I had used was refolded and put back on the pile of clean towels ( I can only assume they were clean) there was dirt on the furinture and floor, and the mirrors were streaky and it was difficult to see any reflection. The only way I could tell that anyone had been there was that the bed sheets were pulled up. On the positive side, the food was extremely good (once the servers had noticed that I was there) The servers were friendly,(again, after the ten minutes of being ignored) but eye contact seemed to be a big problem with the entire staff. The hospitality industry is a very competitive business, and I believe that the only reason this hotel is still there is because of the name.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank braincell1
, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Kitchener, responded to this review, June 23, 2012
Thank you for your comments. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.
While I am pleased you enjoyed your meals, i apologize for the concerns you expressed over your service, both in the restaurant and with your room. I believe we have some of the best staff in town, and i would like a chance to show you! Please contact me directly at the hotel at (519)893-1211 so that we can attempt to rectify the your valid concerns.
Jennifer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Korean first
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I have stayed at several Holiday Inns and Crowne Plazas lately and was not surprised or disappointed by this one in Kitchener. It is what it is, and hotels around the country and beyond are all pretty much the same. This one featured large enough and clean rooms, very comfy beds, good lighting, friendly helpful staff, and one of the biggest bathrooms - with huge mirrors - I have ever seen. The elevator (there was only one) was also super-fast,which was good as I was on the 4th floor. Flat-screen TV was a good size and the furniture was more modern than some I have seen at other Holiday Inns. My only complaint really was with the air conditioning, which was very loud. There was lots of parking available. A friend and I ate supper in the hotel restaurant and it was okay, nothing special, but not cheap either. In the morning, the breakfast buffet was fine, again, nothing special, and not included in the price of the room.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments. We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgement of such a positive nature. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff, as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make the Holiday Inn Kitchener a leader in excellence!
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Last weekend I stayed at the Holiday Inn at Kitchener for a wedding. I arrived Friday evening to a welcoming buffet style dinner. I don't believe that I have ever had such wonderfully prepared food at a buffet. The wedding reception supper on Saturday was served by a wonderful staff. It was a delicious chicken dinner, or steak, and tasty dessert. The reception ballroom was decorated very fancy, more than I expected. The chefs at this hotel again prepared a brunch Sunday morning that was comparable in quality to the welcoming buffet on Friday evening. Our room was not outstanding, but it was excellent value and very nice. If you want to arrange a gathering in that area, I strongly reccommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the tower. The king beds are very comfortable.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank rapidwrambler
Houston, Texas
Reviewed April 25, 2012

This is a large Hotel. I stayed on the first floor, and half way to my room, I thought I may be walking back to Houston. Long hallways is an understatement.

The entire staff was outstanding. The Hotel is a bit dated, but the room was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was quite small, but since I don’t live in the bathroom, it was just fine. Water pressure and temperature was excellent. Flat Screen TV with about 45 channels.

I was disappointed by the lack of work space, since I travel on Business. A small round table approximately 2 ft in diameter, and no electrical outlets. I had to run an extension cord across the room to power up my lap top. I left the lap top on all night to use the USB ports to charge my phones, and gadgets.

I did, however, get a great nights sleep. The AC / Heat unit was very quiet, and there was no outside noise.

The Breakfast Buffet was one of the best I’ve had in years. Great Business Center, Fitness Room, and Guest Laundry. They also have outdoor, and indoor pools.

HI Kitchener is a great place to stay, and I’ll return. Just be prepared for the long walk in the halls, and bring an extension cord for your lap top.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank JimDavisHouston
Halifax
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I was traveling for business, and chose the Holiday Inn in Kitchener because I belong to their points program, and was somewhat familiar with the area. It was not a preferred hotel for our company, and I was told by a co-worker that it was "sketchy".

I am happy to report that it is not even close to "sketchy" and was honestly one of the better hotel experiences I have had while traveling.

I was chosen as "Guest of the Day", so that may have helped as I was upgraded to the "business tower" which seemed to be somewhat empty, therefore it was very quiet. I was also given a voucher for a free buffet breakfast in the morning.

Aside from the "Guest of the Day" honors, the hotel was clean, the room was well appointed and seemed to be recently updated. The room was a great size, the restaurant was really good for the breakfast buffet. Any staff member I talked to was very genuinely friendly.

It is located close to the highway, close to a mall, close to a number of restaurants. I would highly recommend it to anyone doing either business or personal travel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank SecretSauce
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed April 15, 2012

My recent stay at the Holiday Inn far exceeded my expectations.

I stayed on Priority Club Points and was blown away by the exemplary service I received. It far exceeded any experience I have had in the past at any chain.

The CSR was quick to offer a room upgrade, a cot, and bottles of water without my request. She was willing to do anything to make my stay the best possible.

The Tower Rooms were lovely and exceeded the standard Holiday Inn rooms I have experienced previously.

The bed and pillows were very comfortable and were even tagged with a firmness rating so you could select your preference.

For a one night stay at a Holiday Inn it was an extremely positive experience. The Priority Club Perks were also the most plentiful of any hotel I have previously stayed at.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank mc0z
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 21, 2012

I have stayed in many holiday inns before and have never felt so rushed. No free breakfast, upgrades, or any help from front desk. Management should be more active

• Stayed February 2011
3 Thank Mike N

Travelers are raving about these Kitchener hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kitchener
Radisson Hotel Kitchener
#2 of 14 in Kitchener
City Commercial Core
Crowne Plaza Kitchener-Waterloo
The Walper Hotel
#4 of 14 in Kitchener

Been to Holiday Inn Kitchener? Share your experiences!