“Clean economy accomodation”

Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Kitchener
port perry
“Clean economy accomodation”
Reviewed July 21, 2010

Run by conscientious ex military man, willing to attend to needs, within scope of cost range.
Lately improved, would certainly stay again. Quiet, economical.
Holiday Inn available for those who want more.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Toronto
Reviewed November 19, 2009

Upon check-in the motel forces you to prepay before looking at the room, I should have known then. We had to change rooms 3 times due to heating, cleanliness, and fixture (no lights) issues. The room we ended with was reasonably clean bar the bathroom which I refused to have a shower in due to remnants of the last guests. The over-night front desk staff could not grant us a refund for us to go to another hotel and hesitated at first even changing us rooms until we insisted. The owner at check-out refused us any compensation for the issues, there was no wake-up call as asked, rooms do not come with an alarm clock, the sheets in 2 out of the 3 rooms had burn holes in them.

I would highly recommend NOT staying here. There are plenty of other motels in the area that are of far greater quality as we learned.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank hypergraphia

Travelers are raving about these Kitchener hotels

Northern Ontario
Reviewed March 7, 2009

Would not stay again. Rooms were not well maintained and dirty.

• Stayed December 2008
walkerton
Reviewed October 26, 2008

it was peaceful and they were all very very friendly to me.
i did like the remote when i checked in. the place was handy for me. and i liked the room because it was perfect and cleaned very clean. there was nothing wronge with this motel and i have stayed in about 14 place even a five star hotel and i will give this place a five star because they were friendly, nice, helpful,. so i would go back to this one again and stay. we stayed there on oct 24 to oct 26 2008

Stayed October 2008
Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed October 17, 2008

I recently stayed over during the Oktoberfest festival in Waterloo. After looking through various travel websites, I booked this motel through Wyndham's own website (of which ThriftLodge is a participating chain). I wasn't looking for fancy or a lot of features, just a clean room with the basics as I wouldn't be spending much time in it; I volunteer with the local tourist railway, Waterloo Central Railway, and just needed a place to stay between two day shifts before heading back to my home city about 2h away.

I checked in about an hour after check-in was available. My room was ready. Check in was fairly simple although I had to fill out my own client information card with my address and license plate number. (You have to sometimes use the buzzer outside the front office to be let into the office). I was then handed my electronic room key and the TV remote. I was fortunate enough to be given a room on the 2nd floor and at the end of the row of rooms before the stairs. Less noise from some of the socializing guests on the main floor who were out on the concrete are near the parking. The room doors are heavy steel grade and have a decent bolt lock you can enable from inside the room.

I opened my door and it was a clean room with a queen sized bed, a table with two chairs, a sink outside the bathroom, a dresser with mirror, small clothes hanging rack, a medium-sized bar fridge with a small freezer section inside, and a nice sized TV (looked to be 32" RCA). The TV picture was very good. The room smelled clean as the smell of cleaners was still in the air. No hairs on the bed as I checked for this before sliding into bed. Not bad for $65!

The bed comfort was average; I ended up using both pillows to sleep on (a plus is these pillows are thicker than many higher-grade hotels I've stayed at recently!). I knew it's not like staying at the Marriot or Hilton and was more than acceptable.

The sink area and bathroom looked like there had been some upgrading done in the past couple of years. Again, very clean and in good repair. Lots of hot water was available in the morning, shower head was fully functional with no clogged nozzles.

The highway this motel is on is fairly quiet at night and has lots of little restaurants and fast food places to grab food from.

As I had to be back at the railway for an early crew call the next morning, checkout was kind of awkward. Nobody was in the office when I rang the bell at 8am, so I went back to my room to leave the TV remote on the TV. Just after leaving my room again, a man who appeared to be the owner (guess they live in behind the place) came running out from out back to make sure everything was okay and if there was anything he could help me with. I simply explained I had to check out right there and then. I went back into my room, got the remote and handed it to him, explaining I had to check out as I had to be on the road. He took the remote and returned it to the front office for me.

This motel is perfect for the traveler who doesn't want frills, just somewhere to lay their head down for the night and cleanup in the morning.

I definitely would be looking at staying here again.

• Liked — Very good value for the money
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank TrainMikeJ
Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 4, 2008

What can you really expect from a place that gives you the TV remote with the door key? The sign on the door identified the room as a non-smoking room but the room reeked of cigarette stink. There was even an ashtray on the table (which I placed outside). The sheets and blankets had cigarette burn holes in them. The sink counter had burn marks.

When we requested cups and an ice bucket, the desk clerk replied "That's supposed to be in the room." He found some plastic cups but no ice bucket. He did put some ice in our small travel cooler and we used that.

We were told the room had two queen-sized beds, but they were double beds. The mattress wall on one bed was so broken down, it defied sleeping without rolling out of bed. The carpet needed a thorough vacuuming. The bathtub faucett is locked into shower mode. The bathroom floor had not been swept and not only was there crud in the corners, but also a large insect leg (grasshopper?).

No coffee service in the room, but there is a Tim Horton's across the street.

This is a great place to observe the human circus. As a young couple departed their room, their door opened revealing a young child calling his mom back. She turned and yelled "You git back in the room. You kids stay in there until we get back." I watched them leave the property. I have no idea when they returned. I watched a bevy of tattooed and pierced patrons enter. The true entertainment was free and didn't even require the precious TV remote controller.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Canada
Reviewed August 25, 2008

Decent newish furnishings in the room. A/C works ok. Stove in kitchenette not in good shape. Quite a few strands of hair on the bed sheet and bathtub. Bathroom counter caulking peeling off. TV works great. You pick up the remote when you check in. WiFi works great but you need to be tech-savvy to get it to work because there is no printed instructions and front desk clerk isn't the technical type (not supposed to anyway). May encounter other "interesting" guests. No visitors allowed.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Upkeep
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank PFConnector