“Lousy service and dog food disguised as a steak.”

The Library Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 81 Restaurants in Midland
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Lousy service and dog food disguised as a steak.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

Recently ate the the library restaurant. I was in midland for work so I decided to treat my wife to a nice meal. I had heard good reviews of this restaurant so we decided to give it a go. Everything started out amazing, we were seated on the patio and our server seemed nice. We ordered a Caesar salad and the tiger prawns as appetizers. They were nice enough to split the salad onto two plates for my wife and I. The appetizers were good. The tiger prawns were very nice and the caesar salad was average. As we were on the patio, I ordered a coffee to keep me warn which was brought out promptly. Up until this point, everything was great and the night was nice. When my coffee arrived there were chunks in it. I asked the server if she could bring it back and get me a new one as there were chucks of cream in it. She assured me it was just frozen cream even though it had remained chunky in my coffee for 15 min. Not typical of ice not to melt but I was still super nice and just said I would feel better with a new cup. Soon after our food arrived, I was shocked to see that my steak I was anxiously waiting for was cut Ito pieces and had a gravy of sorts on it and that that my potato side was merely a frozen hash brown. The steak was legitimately non-edible. I chewed as long as I could and couldn't swallow. I had to suck the juice out and spit the piece back onto te plate. At some point I gave up trying. We had not seen out waitress since getting the food or I would have complained. At no point were we aske if we wanted refills on our drinks or how the meal was. After our attempt at eating the meal, we waited for the waitress to return. After a half hour and realizing we had been forgot we entires into the restaurant to find our waitress. She returned with us, seemingly unimpressed we came to find her. She slammed the credit card machine on the table and took payment without a sorry or a goodnight. I called te owner the next week to just let him know my experience, after leaving 4 messages I finally got ahold of him. He said e would call me back. 3 weeks after I called and asked him why he didn't call me back, he said he didnt remember me and that I could have a free steak for my trouble. Unfortunately I have wrote this off as the worst 100 dollar meal I've ever had and will not be returning for his free dog food steak. I can't believe this establishment is in business.

3 Thank Koried

Tiny
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

I like the location and decor. We always have a nice relaxing dinner. The food is always excellent! There is always our favorite wine in stock and the desserts are fabulous!

Visited August 2012
Ontario
“Food great but not impressed with service!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

We've eaten here three times - twice for supper, once for lunch. The food is very good but this restaurant falls so short on all other aspects that we won't go back.

First time they sat us so close to basement that a musty unpleasant odor permeated our meal. Second time was bad service. Third time was the clincher - there was no one else in the restaurant (and it's quite large) but when another couple came in, they were seated right behind us, almost touching my chair! And they were loud. At least they could have been put a table or two distant.

Then we waited. And waited. Finally got to order about 20 min after being seated. Then we waited and waited again. After an hour I asked waitress about our order. She said it would be coming soon. What takes so long to make a small lunch with salad? We did not get our lunch until we'd been there for over 1 1/2 hours! Unacceptable!!!

Then the waitress left without seeing if we wanted water, a drink, anything else. And she never returned. We waited 30 min.after finishing our lunch and I was almost ready to walk out when she appeared. She came over at our signal and dropped the bill on the table - no asking if we wanted coffee/tea or dessert.

All in all we wasted almost 3 hours there after dropping in for a quick lunch.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank todge
Barrie, Canada
“Fantastic building and ambience, meal was mildly disappointing.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012 via mobile

Based on the very well known chef and having read the reviews I had high expectations which were not quite met. Overall pleasing but could use some touch ups. I had the duck which was good but not exceptional. My daughter had the pork. Overall we'd give it a 6 or 7. Out of ten.

Toronto, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

I went to the Library after reading the reviews from trip advisor and indeed I didn't get disappointed. Everything we tried tasted so fresh and delicious. We liked it so much that we went for lunch the following day before we left Midland. Also, the staff there were so nice with my toddler son who was running everywhere constantly! I highly recommend the Library for a unique and refreshing culinary experience.

• Visited June 2012