“Fun fun fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Keg

The Keg
Ranked #15 of 281 Restaurants in Newmarket
Cuisines: American, Canadian, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Newmarket, Canada
“Fun fun fun”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

This is one of our regular watering holes. Love their wine by the glass selection and the Caesar salad. I always order the lobster tail (just one tail) and have always thoroughly enjoyed it. The wait staff are always smiling and bend over backwards to make sure you have a great experience.

Visited December 2012

Newmarket, Canada
“Everything you expect and more”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Steak, and lots of it, with all the trimmings. Do yourself a favour and choose the smallest, tenderest fillet; you will not go hungry. One of the huge platefuls of food would have done for the two of us. Several fellow patrons took "doggie bags" home with them.
The cocktails are exotic and worth a try. Stick to the domestic wines, as their list has a healthy profit margin.
Desserts are decadent and in the 1000 calorie plus range.

Visited January 2012
Caledon, Canada
“It seemed a little pricey...”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

This was our first trip to the Keg since about 1992...

The Newmarket Keg is in a very busy part of Newmarket and the parking lot was a little tough to get into - once in the lot there seemed to be lots of spaces. The front entrance is not facing the parking lot so we didnt know where to go at first.

This restaurant has a great lobby - very warm and classy looking. We were seated right away at a great table in front of the fire place. Bench seating was very comfortable and it felt very relaxing.

The waiter came over and nailed our drink orders - my wife had a specialty coffee thaty she didnt like and the waiter took it away, fixed it up a little for her, and brought it back in just a few minutes - it was excellent and we appreciated the extra service.

Appetizers were expensive bland caesar salads for both of us (no offer of ground pepper) and garlic cheese bread (at $4.95 a good value and presentation was excellent).

Dinner was the rib eye for me and zesty salmon for my wife. The steak was very large - too big for me to finish so we took it home in a doggie bag. It was nicely done, a little salty, but very well prepared. I ordered the mashed potatoes and was disappointed - they seemed to be instant and were not very good.

I am not a fish eater so dont know what to make of my wifes comment...the salmon tasted 'fishy'. I would expect this but took it to mean that it was not what she expected. It was a smallish strip of salmon for $25.95 and she did not finish it. She had the twice baked potatoe and reports that it was very very good.

Draft beer chilled to a perfect temperature..water very good - no scent chlorine which we seem to detect when drink water from in town. Our bill included two drafts, a specialty coffee and a regular coffee...no wine for the duchess tonight...

Interior decor is very warm and tasteful. Overall it was a nice night out but expensive at $143 with taxes and a $25 tip included.

I think there are probably other options out there in this price range. I am giving this a 3/5 because of price...tough for a kid to afford to take a date there on a Friday night let alone a couple of old timers like us....

• Visited November 2012
Orangeville, Canada
“DINING AT THE KEG”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

It has been some time since we had a dinner at the keg restauraunt. While I must say that we preferred the old personable style keg as opposed to the eatery it has become, I have to conceed that the food is incredible, the service is exellent and the price is reasonable. The Keg does not have the intimacy for a "romantic" dinner however the food and service is above and beyond. I am aware the keg is known across canada however if our united states freinds are in the country and looking for a fine dinner provided by talented chefs and dedicated service personell, then, the Keg, at least the one in Newmarket is worth the time and the drive. Note also that staff are in no rush to have you leave. Take time to enjoy a coffee or better yet the Keg size ceasar.

• Visited November 2012
Barrie, Canada
“Its the Keg, its always good”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Food was very good as always, service was not the greatest, but that depends on your server and how busy it was. Would not impact my choice to go back.

Visited July 2012