“Best Restaurant in Newmarket”
Review of Spero Ristorante

Spero Ristorante
Ranked #41 of 288 Restaurants in Newmarket
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Locally owned & operated, fully licensed upscale Italian Restaurant. Wood burning pizza oven, & a large menu of great choices! Weekly specials & wine pairing events. Many gluten free options, plus a great flexibility for dietary restrictions!
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We've eaten here at least 50 times and have to say that the food and sevice is the best you will find anywhere in the area. As you can guess we eat out on a very regular basis. We have been to Italy and also frequent the finer Italian restaurants in Toronto.
Any place can have an "off" night and Trish ( the Owner ) would certainly look after that in her always gracious manor.
Most anything on the menu is great....my "go to " dish is the Puntanesca....so good!!
Martini's are perfect and generous.
If you're looking for fine dining north of the city this is the place.

6  Thank Pepperie
There are newer reviews for Spero Ristorante

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Great menu, great seasonal offerings are very creative. Love the wood burning oven pizza....great to place to chill and watch a game in quiet in the bar area

5  Thank Sandy V
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We have been to Spero on three occasions and have been very satisfied with each visit. Our dinner last night was exceptional, prompting me to finally write a review and spread the good word. Each time we visit, we start with the bruschetta, as Spero makes one of our all-time favourites. A layer of hot, bubbly cheese covers a thin pizza crust, which is then topped with freshly diced tomato, onion, basil and garlic. The dish is substantial: between three people, we still left two slices uneaten. For the main entrée, I had the Insalata di Funghi (warm mixed mushrooms, arugula, sweet balsamic vinaigrette, panko crusted goat cheese)…normally I wouldn’t expect to have an overwhelmingly positive reaction to a salad, but I’m still thinking about it (and salivating) a day later. My husband had the short-rib stuffed ravioli, which was one of the evening’s specials, but a dish so good that it is a crime not to include it on the regular menu. Our dinner companion is celiac and was pleased to learn that Spero carries two gluten-free pasta options. Nevertheless, she chose the Osso Buco Brasato (braised veal shank served with seasonal vegetables and a parmigiano risotto) and was thrilled with her meal. For dessert, my husband and I shared the crust-less Nutella cheesecake. We really enjoyed the delicate flavour and mousse-like texture (we didn’t even miss the crust – which tends to be our favourite part). Our guest had the flourless chocolate cake (again, she appreciated that there was a gluten-free option), and said that it was good (just not great). All of the desserts are made-in-house, however, we felt the portions were smaller than the $9 price tag warranted. Altogether though, we were deeply satisfied with our meal from start to finish and look forward to introducing additional friends to this local gem.

3  Thank OatmealEnthusiast
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Started well, the person on the phone taking the reservation was very helpful, promised they could cater for children although no seperate menu, Downhill from there! On arrival, we were the only customers - not a good sign. Ordered drinks, Beer was warm - yuck! Tried to explain to the server we wanted plain pasta and chicken for our son, she replied it would have to be 2 meals - not the same helpful person who was on the phone. After ordering, some bread was put on the table - 3 pieces for a table of 5??? We asked for more and was told our appertisers would be out soon were we sure? Like GDM171, staff were rude. The food is good but portions are small. I would advise anyone to stay clear - many at work asked me what I thought - there will not be many customers from there! This was supposed to be a birthday outing for my wife - we will never return!

5  Thank Ian G
Reviewed December 16, 2012

It's a little out of the way but well worth the " hunt. " My wife and I have been there numerous times and have never been disappointed. Without question this is the best Italian restaurant in the area and believe me, we've tried them all. Great food, nice decor and always friendly staff.

3  Thank David L