“Hungarian to the Max!”

The Goulash House
Ranked #4 of 305 Restaurants in Newmarket
Cuisines: Hungarian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Mostly Hungarian and German dishes from fresh ingredients only, made in house by a master chef of 40 yrs.Warm and welcoming service, cozy decor. Restaurant and Bar serving great cocktails, mostly German and Chech beers, and a good selections of Hungarian Wines.
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I met my wife for lunch as we heard good things about the place. The restaurant is really comfortable and well decorated. Staff are friendly...appears to be lots of regulars already as we overheard one group say see you on Thursday and this was Tuesday.

I had the Perogies and my wife had the Mini Goulash....both were excellent as we shared the meal. Portions are a great size. I liked the Perogies so much I purchased two bags of frozen Perogies from their Deli around the corner. We will be regulars and I want the recipe for the Goulash!

1  Thank Luncheo

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Being familiar with my mom's goulash and other Austrian dishes, the Hungarian owners have got it down perfectly! Thanks for dinner which reminded me of my mom. Price is reasonable and place was newly renovated and is very clean.

1  Thank Peter W
Reviewed December 5, 2012

.....just got back from taking my new girlfriend to The Goulash House on Main St. Newmarket. I can't begin to say enough good things about this restaurant. I was greeted by the personable hostess immediately upon entering and was promptly taken to a "romantic table for two". The wait staff was friendly and extremely helpful explaining the vast array of food they offered on their menu. We had never had traditional Hungarian food and she suggested the "Wooden Platter" which was a sampling of a variety of tasty treats. Both of us were extremely happy with the appetizers, the wine and mostly the delicious meal. Prices were very fair. All in all.....a wonderful experience and highly recommended!

1  Thank Jason H
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Saw these reviews and decided to try this spot out for myself with a visiting family member. When we stopped in tonight I could see it was busy bit was prepared to wait. When I asked the woman how long for a table, she indicated in an exasperated tone that there would not be any tables available and handed me a card and said "next time call for a reservation" and dismissed me. I should not have been surpised at how rude she was with me as I had just witnessed her telling a woman, who did have reservations, that she had been trying to call her to tell her to come later because their table would not be ready because the previous guests came late. she was not very nice in delivering the news and seemed surprised when the guest challenged her and said she had been home and did not receive a call. She certainly was not polite, welcoming or professional. Will there be a next time? Probably not.

6  Thank MAB23_new
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Lunch was great. Though I would give it a try for an informal business meeting based on reviews. Good Lunch Menu with good selection and generous portions. Limited parking on Main St. but a large lot located just behind restaurant. Well worth a trip into town.