“Nothing special, but OK for a simple stay-over.”

Best Western Voyageur Place Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Newmarket
Calgary
“Nothing special, but OK for a simple stay-over.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2011

Best Western's recent re-classification of its hotels into basic, Plus and Premier is becoming more evident.

Having recently stayed at a Best Western 'Plus', my stay at the BW Voyageur Place was nothing spectacular. Though I was only there for one night and had a rather late check in, this hotel is relatively basic. While the room was nice enough, bed comfy enough, and from what I could tell was clean enough, the bathroom was VERY basic...one might say Super8-esque. No breakfast was included, so I resorted to paying the $12 for the buffet breakfast in The Buttery restaurant downstairs. I really think including a breakfast in the price (which was higher than I expected) differentiates hotels...especially a full hot breakfast. When people, especially families, are looking for good value in a hotel, an included hot breakfast is always well received.

All in all, not a bad stay, just.....nothing special.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank dbandbb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2011

I stayed at the Voygeur Place over the weekend while in Newmarket for a wedding. It was such a convenient location and easy to find! It's right opposite to Upper Canada Mall, which came in handy to pass the time between the wedding and reception. The rooms are also very nice, comparable to 5 star hotels like Hilton or Westin and looks like they've been recently renovated.

Also at first I was disappointed that the hotel didn't have a gym/pool but was pleastantly surprised that as a guest I had FREE unlimited access to a FULL gym (Persechini's - http://www.persechinifitness.ca/amenities.html) that's a 5 min walk from the hotel! I was able to go to a spinning class and put my son in the onsite daycare.

Highly recommend this hotel! GREAT value!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank MichelleKSmith31
Nottingham,UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2011

We attended a wedding in Aurora, Ontario a week ago and the bride recommended Best Western in Newmarket. The hotel organized bus transportation to and from the reception hall, so we did not have to worry about a few extra drinks. The rooms were very well appointed with LCD TVs coffee makers and a fridge, which came very handy since I need to store my medication in a cold place.

We had very nice breakfast on Sunday at the restaurant next to the lobby. When we arrived around noon at the hotel with many other members of our party a young man at the desk did his best to get us a clean room.

Room Tip: We chose a room in outside section and liked it
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Sherwood007
Key West, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2011

We were booke by a travel agent to stay at Best Western in Newmarket, Ontario, instead of Markham where we usually stay. We were pleasantly surpirised by the quality of the facilities we found. The rooms were clean and spacious and had best beds we have ever slept in.

A nice touch was breakfast in the restaurant at the hotel. We had no time to visit the bar at night, but it looked ok.

We were slightly disappointed that the hotel did not have fitness facilites on site. However when a front desk clerk recommended a complementary pass to a fitness place next door we decided to try it. The fitness centre had much more than any hotel we ever stayed in: a full size pool, full array of equipment and very friendly staff.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank UofT1
Owen Sound
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2011

I was stunned at my check in when I was required to pay a security deposit so any charges that I or my husband MIGHT incur at the hotel would be covered. We stayed two evenings and were charged $200.00 for security (which would be refunded at check-out). The underlying message - is that we might skip out without paying for something, or perhaps destroy the room in some way. My husband and I are CAA members and pre-booked. This put a damper on the whole trip. Security? I wondered if we were somehow linked to a gang or mobsters. We were in Newmarket for medical reasons and I was trying to stay upbeat and positve. This did not help the mood. Then on check out I find there is a $4.00 charge for planting trees. I'm all for the ecology, but I wasn't asked, it was just put on the bill. Most people wouldn't notice the extra charge, especially if you've just gotten out of the hospital. Many people stay at the Best Western because it is near SouthLake hospital. They offer hospital rates, and supposedly want people to stay there. The room was clean, the beds were great, and the complimentary internet - super. Advice - make sure people are given notice when booking about the security charge and the ecological charges so they can make a choice. Until this happens I can not recommend the hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank TravelHaflinger
BWInnKeeper, Manager at Best Western Voyageur Place Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2011
Thank you for your post. In response to your comments regarding a “security deposit”, we only require a deposit from cash paying guests. If a guest is using a credit card we do what is called a pre-authorization. A pre-authorization is technically a "hold of funds" until the purchase is completed. When the purchase is completed on departure, the pre-authorization amount will be replaced by an actual charge debited from your card and the balance of the “pre-authorization” amount is returned to your card as available credit.
The process of “pre-authorizations” is common in the hotel industry particularly in full service hotels. The main reason for a pre-authorization is to ensure there are sufficient funds to cover the cost of the hotel room and any potential incidental charges such as meals, movies or long distance calls. This process is not in place to question a person’s integrity but merely to protect our business and most importantly you the guest.
In response to “planting trees” we do participate in the EcoStay program and have since April 2010. The EcoStay program supports Canadian Hotels in their effort to take action against climate change. The uniqueness of this program is that it affords the guest the option to participate or not, it entirely up to the individual. If a guest declines participation we will gladly remove the fee. We proudly display throughout our hotel our participation in the program in fact EcoStay even provided us informational sleeves that we use when we issue guest their room keys. We are proud to participate in such a program as it has allowed us to take action and assist our environment with the removal of carbon emissions equivalent to the amount emitted from over 79,000 cars in one day.
I thank you again for your comments and we hope that you will re-consider visiting us on your next visit to Southlake Regional Health Centre.
England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2011

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights for a family occasion. Good hotel with adequate facilities. Decor somewhat dated but had a kitchenette room and if you wanted to cater for yourself it was more than adequate to do this. More expensive that a budget hotel in the UK though.

Attached to the Hotel (indpendant of it though) is the Buttery Restaurant which is first class and is run by a couple of Greek guys who catered for my Uncle's 75th Birthday Party very well. Extremely friendly service and first class food! Try it for breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank HeadBrewerEngland
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2010

This hotel was surprisingly nice and comfortable compared to what I saw others review this hotel. We didn't have any issues and it's in a great location. Across the street from Upper Canada Mall and Shoppers/LCBO around the corner. I recommend this hotel if you're going to newmarket. I would avoid the buffet breakfast within the hotel. I never went, but it didn't look appetizing. We went to this awesome breakfast place across the street which was affordable and amazing.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ZippyZip
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newmarket
Comfort Inn
Aloft Vaughan Mills
Aloft Vaughan Mills
#2 of 14 in Vaughan
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Toronto Markham

Been to Best Western Voyageur Place Hotel? Share your experiences!