“Not worth the hassles”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newmarket
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Newmarket
Reviewed October 5, 2012

When trying to book for a friends wedding first they charged more for the Handicap room because the wedding party didn't add one to their "block of reserved rooms" and they wouldn't give the price I found on the internet...when I told them other hotels honor the quotes they told me "it's corporate policy" and if I want that rate I have to book online. I don't book or pay for anything online (don't trust it with personal info) they didn't care. I complained to "corporate" and then they passed it back to the hotel. All of a sudden I got the room for $5 less then the block reserved rate. We used a prepaid credit card and I asked at check in to do it all at once because I don't want extra charges twice with the card...she didn't listen and took the deposit on it now the card wouldn't have enough to pay for the room. It took over an hour to make the manager understand that his employee didn't listen upon check-in and because of this I'm be charged a fee from the credit card co. and now there isn't enough on the card...I gave her my regular card for the hold information as she requested. He said what they do isn't his problem. I told him it is when your employee doesn't listen and it ends up costing me extra...and I'm not going to pay any on my regular card and he's going to have to reduce the amount I have to pay for the room the amount the card is charging me...she said he can't, I said then get your supervisor because they will have the authority, or contact corporate office. He said he had the authority in that franchise to do things...so I told him to do it...after 2 long calls to the credit card company we found out the amount left on the card and he had taken that and the hotel ate the rest (profit loss). He wasn't professional and it put us behind, we had to be at another function in the Niagara Region. If Holiday Inn was better in treating the customer with respect I would have used them for the second hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank bretagne4me
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newmarket, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Dear bretagne4me,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. We strive to provide the best possible service and experiences and I am truly sorry we did not manage this for your stay. Please accept my sincere apology for the difficulties you experienced regarding your reservation and I regret you received service which was less than satisfactory. It is certainly not our intent to inconvenience our valued customers, but to instead provide good value, comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Your feedback is of great importance to us and allows us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Joel B

Reviewed September 26, 2012

I am a business traveler and definitely picky on cleanliness. For the life of me I can't understand why this hotel has the critics it does. The room was spick and span. Many dining opportunities in the immediate neighborhood and a decent location to all things north of Toronto. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank tpharkman
HolidayInnNewmarket, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newmarket, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Dear tpharkman,

Thank you for your wonderful review about our hotel. It is not only an honor but a privilege to be a part of such a superb establishment here in Newmarket, Ontario. We greatly appreciate your positive feedback regarding our property as this helps our team members feel good about themselves when catering to our hotel guests. With your sincere comments we feel motivated to go above and beyond in making your stay a pleasurable one.

We hope very much to have you again at our hotel to exceed your expectations everytime around.

Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

A nice and standard holiday inn express. I love how they have a jacuzzi to unwind in. Rooms and beds are standard with the holiday inn brand. Totally good hotel. Nice breakfast in the morning as well.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Cgyguy30

Dear Cgyguy30,

Thank you for your kind words. We appreciate the time you took to write a review with all the nice comments you made regarding our property. Our team of staff members from all departments would love to hear how well we are doing at making your stay pleasurable and I will make sure to mention your review to them. Your positive experience with us will not only motivate our team members but will also encourage us to keep going beyond our guests expectations everytime.

We hope to remain your choice for all your future stays in Newmarket.

Thank you again!

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Due to home renovations, we've had the dubious pleasure of staying at 3 Newmarket Hotels over the last two months. Holiday Inn has the most space, and is the only one with a swimming pool, but the staff are the least welcoming, and provide the worst customer experience of them all.
On our first night, we checked in, got our bottle of water and Halloween chocolate bars ( I guess because I'm a priority club member?) and headed up to a room that was completely not made up. Back downstairs to the desk, and the fellow was actually very nice. He was the highlight of the stay. He said it was marked as clean in the system, i joked that if the next room was dirty, I'd want another "welcome kit"... and he just gave me one anyways. The new room was clean, but the bathroom fan cover was dangling from the ceiling. We removed it, and left it on the bathroom counter. I would have thought that housekeeping would have had it fixed over the coruse of the week we stayed in that room, but clearly they just don't care. Fast forward a few days, when i have to extend our stay by a week. I tell the young punk at the front desk--- who says OK,,, and then proceeds to continue contemplating his navel. I have to remind him of my request, and ask him if he can do it. Seemed like a valid question, but he managed to do it! A few days later, in the middle of the night, a pipe burst in our walls, and the carpet was soaked by the next morning. Naturally, there was little that they could do in the middle of the night, including moving us..so we got to sleep with the sound of running water all night. The next day, when we returned "home" from work at 3 pm, they gave us a different room. AGAIN DIRTY!! The manager/ franchise owner?!?! was walking around the hall on his cell phone- busy busy busy,, the whole time. He offered no apology, no nominal sorry-for-the-inconvenience gift, and no assistance. Seriously, with this kind of management/(ownership)? team in place here, no wonder housekeeping just doesnt give a crap whether they do their job or not. And, if you want to stay here because it has a pool, let me just say that the pool is very very very small. Smaller than most backyard pools. The water is murky --but they have a note taped to the door that says the murkiness is because of the new water that they're continually replenishing in the pool. Huh? so the town water is the murky stuff???? not to mention, for the two weeks that i was there, there was no doorknob in the door to the pool room. Again, just shows how housekeeping and maintenance are not at all engaged with doing anything other than geting out of there at the end of their shift.

Room Tip: 314 had the flood in the walls--- doubt they've done a good job cleaning the carpet, so I'd...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank christine g
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newmarket, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Dear Christine G,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Tripadvisor. We apologize for any inconvenience experienced during your stay, and regret you received service which was unacceptable. We are sincerely concerned when situations like these occur, and would like to investigate further. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional information about your stay.

Myrna M

Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

If you have obligations in Newmarket then this is a safe bet. Rooms are clean although the bathroom shower could have used extra cleaning chemicals because it did not smell completely clean (shower curtain was stained). Breakfast is included which is a plus. All in all, 1-2 nights will work in this place.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank JudyfromMTL

Dear JudyfromMTL,

Thank you for reviewing us.

We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Holiday Inn Experss & Suites Newmarket. It is great to know you had a positive experience with our accommodations and amenities. We strive to ensure that our guests have everything they need to make their stay pleasurable and we are glad that we were able to do this for you.

We hope you will choose us for your future visits here in Newmarket.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

My wife and I stayed four nights for a wedding in a nearby town. There are some real positives about the property but it could be so much better.

The hotel is relatively new and well decorated inside. It is very easy to access from highway 404 and has a decent selection of places to eat and shop nearby. There is ample parking and the lot is well lit. Park in the back with easy access to the lobby if you don't want to search for a spot in the front. Our room (205) was a good size with a large desk, comfortable chair, fridge and microwave. The TV works great but there are no in-room movies or games if you have kids. There is no view from the hotel but that is not the point of this place.

As I mentioned, there is a lot of room for improvement. The wireless internet is almost a waste of time. The speed was terrible especially at night. Even during the day when there almost no cars in the lot (i.e. people in the hotel) it was no faster than dial-up. If you're on business you will not be satisfied. The cleaning was not up to par. There were stains around the tub drain and the plug was just sitting there. We pulled it out and left it on the edge of the tub the first night and it sat there until we checked out. The fan in the washroom was louder thant the 737 we fly to Toronto on. The back door to the property does not shut properly and is a security risk at night. We mentioned this but we came back from the wedding at 1:30am and just pulled the door open and walked into the lobby.

The iron in the room had something on it. It must have been some guy ironing for the first time. I did the old towel test before hitting my shirt and there were stains all over the towel. It was clearly unacceptable but left in the room. The front desk provided a better one. By better I mean it was a little less stained. The breakfast area is smaller but not tiny. The selection is on the lower end for HIE properties. Also, the beloved pancake machine (with all of it's health benefits) is situated near a service door. Couple that with this being North America where nobody knows how to queue up and you have a mass of bodies blocking the rest of the counter. I blame the hotel 50% for poor placement of the machine and 50% on lack of common sense of guests.

Fix the internet, secure the property and reconfigure the breakfst bar and I think there is a real winner of a property here.

Room Tip: Lots of parking in the back. Get to breakfast early.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Allan A

Dear Allan A,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay with us.

We take all our feedbacks very seriously in order to improvise our service and create a comfortable enviornment for our guests. While we are pleased to hear you enjoyed our accommodations here at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Newmarket, I would like to apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay. It is always our goal to ensure our guests expectations are exceeded and we were unsuccessful in doing this for you.

I have shared your comments and concerns at our recent staff meeting along with all related department heads in order to take necessary measures to fix the problems you mentioned like the noise of the fan in Room 205, the weak wireless internet signal, as well as to make it a point to double check for our guest room bath tubs and irons cleanliness as a part of our regular routine. The entrance door at the back of our hotel is always tested for security and ease-of-use to hotel guests with their valid keycard on a monthly basis, but I have also mentioned this issue to our GM who got all our exit doors checked by our trade company who deals with them. As for the pancake machine's location we will definitely take a look at another area nearby to place it where there is no obstruction of any kind.

With this I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and make your stay a pleasurable one.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Stayed 1 night at this hotel in July! There's not many hotels in this area and since this is one of the newer ones it was packed. So keep this in mind when you book on a weekend. Book early since wedding season will book it up fast.
The hotel itself is very new and clean. Decor is modern and fresh. You get the identical breakfast that all Holiday Inn Express offers. The hotel is located in a industrial looking location, but the main shopping is only 3 miles away. You can't hear traffic so that's a plus.The gym equipment is all new as well.
My only critic's about the hotel are these:
1. The water is yellowish... now this is probably out of the hotels hands... we've had a really dry summer and there's been problems with water pipes everywhere.
2. Pool area...WARNING - get your vaccinations and tetanus shots!!! somehow it is not as new looking as the rest of the hotel. The doors and trim are rusting in the room, and the tiles in the hot tub look VERY SKANKY! The pool is frigid, and also not very clean. So my advise is skip the pool during your visit!! Hopefully the hotel staff read my review and take a power washer to the room and get some RUSTOLEUM and brushes out. If you do brave this area there is a change room/bathroom so you don't have to wear your suit thru the hotel.
So anyways if you are not a pool users to begin with, this hotel is a great place to rest your had and get some Z's

Room Tip: Stayed in a suite... was very spacious!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank 123NIX
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newmarket, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2012

Dear 123NIX,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I am pleased you liked the condition of our hotel as well the quiet environment and our gym equipment. I sincerely apologize for the experience you had with the water supply and the pool area. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. We all hope that we will have the opportunity to host you again on a future visit.

Karen C
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newmarket
Best Western Voyageur Place Hotel
Travelodge Richmond Hill
Travelodge Richmond Hill
#5 of 7 in Richmond Hill
Hilton Garden Inn Toronto/Markham

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newmarket? Share your experiences!