“Very dirty, understaffed.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of In Play Inc.

In Play Inc.
Ranked #6 of 11 Fun & Games in Newmarket
More attraction details
Owner description: Biggest indoor playground in York Region featuring tubes, slide, zip line, huge balls, and so much more. Laser Tag now available! Want more? Try our indoor glow in the dark mini golf, rock climbing, Sports Simulator, arcade and redemption prize games, bear making, Webkinz superstore, and great food too! All under one roof, open 364 days a year. Plenty of free parking. Walk in any time or book a party or group event, with us.
Newmarket, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Very dirty, understaffed.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

I visited In Play for the first time on March 14, and found it very dirty. The washrooms looked like they hadn't been cleaned in a long time, and there was water ( or what I would like to think was water) all over the floors in the stalls, and I couldn't get my kids in to use the washroom because they were in their socks, as they were playing in the structure. I did tell a staff member and took my 3 year old back in later to use the washroom and it still wasn't cleaned, and I had to hold her off the floor so she wouldn't get her socks soaked. I checked every stall and not one of them was fit to use. We also tried to order food, and waited a very long time for anyone to come to the food counter, then the computer froze up and had to order at the front counter and then it took over 1/2 hr for some fries, hot dog and hamburger. The kids had fun, because they don't notice that stuff, but I won't be taking them back. It's shame because it has the potential to be a nice place for the family with the play structure, rock climbing, mini golf, and games.... it's just so dark, dingy and dirty that you can't really enjoy yourself.

Visited March 2014
4 Thank DKMamaChic2014
Hi DKMamaChic201,

March Break is a crazy busy time for us. We did have some networking issues that didn't allow our register at the food counter to connect. We recently switched to Rogers and we are waiting for a technician to come in to see why that's happening.

Bathrooms are checked on the hour, sometimes more during busy times. For sure it is not up to expectations having a wet floor. Hopefully you will come some other time and see that our washrooms normally aren't like that. Perhaps a little person was in there unsupervised by their parent/guardian.

Glad the kids had a good time but sorry to hear you did not. I understand that first impressions are lasting ones however I hope you will give us a second look.

We had hundreds of very happy customers over March Break. I really hope some of the happy customers take time to write. Unfortunately it's usually the bad experiences that get talked about more than the good. Nevertheless, it's good to know the bad too so we can try to improve.

Regards,

Toronto Ontario
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“under staffed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

I've been here a couple times and I would have to say there are a lot of activities to keep kids from a wide variety of ages busy! But I also have to say that the overall maintenance of the place is lacking and that the place is clearly under staffed. On my visits the staff have been overall helpful and friendly, but they can only do so much....especially on busy days!! It doesn't surprise me to see some of the negative reviews.

Visited March 2014
4 Thank NewAdventures6
Hi NewAdventurer,

Thanks for taking the time to write. I wish I had an answer for you. The cost of rent on 12,000 square feet is huge. Payroll costs having 6 people on at a time when it's busy (which we did over March Break) and even one or two people on during the week when it is not busy is also a huge expense. Payroll is about 50% of our sales that come in! That's a huge expense and apparently it's still not enough. Then there is minimum wage going up, again, in June. Utilities on all this space, etc.

Often times people complain about paying $5.99 for the playground when they can stay as long as they like for that price and we don't charge anything for adults coming in. Our party packages seem to be about the cheapest in town. I have been trying to keep prices down for families. I'm a Mom of four so I know how expensive it can be getting out for some family fun.

What is the solution? If you have any ideas then your suggestions would for sure be looked at. For 11 years we have been trying to make this work and let me tell you, I would love to make minimum wage myself for all the hours I put in! lol

That being said, we all work very hard here trying to please our customers which you did acknowledge. Staff are cleaning any time they can as we have a 'time to lean, time to clean' policy. We also have a cleaning service that comes in once a week to give things an extra thorough cleaning at the end of each weekend. It is a big place to clean and gets dirty fast with all the kids running around.

Thank you for the appreciation of all the activities we offer. I think we have a great place but unfortunately the population count we are in just doesn't seem to be enough to sustain such a large place. But, we will keep trying our best and hope the community will continue to support us. The addition of laser tag will hopefully give us the boost we need.

The more customers that come in, the more money we have for making improvements, paying extra staff, adding new games and attractions, etc.

Regards,

Sarah

p.s. Feel free to contact me at sarah@inplayinc.ca with any suggestions you may have.
Barrie, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Lots of fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

Have been to In Play a few times now and my daughter just loves it there, it is a great place in my opinion to go for playdates. My freind and I take our daughters here every so often, they have fun playing on the playground and with the all the different games and I get to catch up with my oldest freind. We usually have lunch there too, its a fair price for an afternoon of fun.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank alyssa g
Hi Alyssa,

Glad everyone in your group is enjoying our facility.

We have some new menu items coming out soon. Be sure to ask next time you are in for lunch. Have you tried mac & cheese bites before?

All the best,

Barrie, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“VERY DIRTY !!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

We took our Grandaughter for what we hoped was a fun day for her and her friends
I wouldnt go back EVER ....It was Dirty and poorly managed place that isnt fit for animals let alone children . I will make sure that i tell as many ppl as i can how bad it was so they dont have to deal with ,what we just did

Visited January 2014
3 Thank D C
inplay, Owner at In Play Inc., responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear D C,

Your daughter booked a birthday party for your granddaughter at our facility. I have been told by the manager you were upset that our huge party room was shared with another party for a portion of the time in the party room. Your daughter came to see our place before booking and liked it so she decided to book with us. She required a certain time, which we accommodated, even though she knew before booking that she would be sharing the room for a portion of time. We suggested other times to her, when she could have the room to herself, but she insisted on 1pm I believe it was. There's plenty of space and tables in there.

You have demanded we refund your daughters party for your granddaughter or you will trash us on TripAdvisor and tell everyone our place is bad and disgusting. I certainly hope people reading your review will see through this.
Newmarket, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Even though they are making improvements, kids still love it.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

Our homeschool group goes to inplay once in a while and thought some reviews seem harsh. It is the opinion of the adults that go there.

I have never seen a child not love it there, rock climbing, games etc...

And Extremely fair priced fun for hours and hours.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Taras M
inplay, Owner at In Play Inc., responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Thanks for coming home schooling group! It gets pretty quiet during the week so it's nice to have some people around to visit us. :-)

Laser Tag should be ready beginning of March. I have added some pictures to our TripAdvisor page. Very exciting!

Hope to see you soon.