“Take out only...overbearing owner”

India Gate Exclusive Indian Cuisine
Ranked #15 of 288 Restaurants in Newmarket
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Fully licensed Eat Smart Award winning restaurant with 120 seats provides fine dining with contemporary and Indian setting.
Reviewed January 14, 2013

So here is the real deal on this local joint:
Eat in or take out? The main reason not to eat in is that the owner is very unfriendly and is always trying to upsell. The place usually only has 2 or 3 tables occupied and coupled with the terribly tacky decor, there is no atmosphere
Food: excellent food but over priced. It is the best Indian in the area so what are you going to do? I grew up in Brampton and it is amazing what a little quality competition can do to Indian restaurant prices.

I love the food here but I'm surprised it is still open. There is never more than 3 tables full and the owners is unfriendly. That being said I will continue to support them (take out only!) because the food is good!

There are newer reviews for India Gate Exclusive Indian Cuisine

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Overall we had an enjoyable experience; the decor, service and food were above average. The highlights were the curries; the vindaloo and madras dishes were rich, hot, and delicious as we had hoped. The breads were also very good. However, I have had better poppadoms, biryani, and appetizers elsewhere. I would eat there with my family again but I would not recommend that someone make a special trip from out of town just to eat there.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

I have eaten Canadian versions of Indian food in many restaurants across Canada, most of which cannot hold a candle to food served on the street in Bombay. Often though, it can be close, somewhat authtentic and at the least made with quality ingredients and care.
India gate is none of these things. While on my 6 visits there, the staff have always been very accommodating and friendly, the food has been incredibly disappointing. They do not make their paneer in house-such an easy-to-make staple of Indian cuisine-which offers light on to why the food tastes so badly: there is little care put in to it and a disregard for quality and freshness. I love Indian food and since the options in Newmarket are so few, I have given India Gate a generous number of tries. The last time, there was a short curly black hair in my masala. And my takeout order for 2 was over $70. I will never go back. Sadly.

2  Thank mateia
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Wow that was the worst Indian food ever. The mixed vegetables were straight out of a frozen McCains bag, corn, peas etc..in a tasteless water oil sauce. The few pieces of butter chicken was swimming in some orange tomato paste that I am positive was derived from a can of pasta sauce. The vindaloo was spicy and there was an attempt at making the sauce not just pouring it out of a can but besides dry heat there was no taste. I have eaten at a lot of Indian restaurants and at my Indian friends houses, this does not resemble any Indian food I have ever eaten. Definitely skip this place. There are places in Newmarket with actual Indian food, or at least places where they make a minimum effort at making Indian food. Also they were not exactly cheap considering what we got. For our meal with the above mentioned food plus Naan bread it was $58 take away not delivered.

1  Thank z z
Reviewed August 25, 2012

My wife and i have traveled worldwide and have been to India. We love Indian food but grew tired of Indian restaurants that buy commercial sauces and pass them off as home cooked. Then we discovered India Gate a few years ago. after our first meal we thought WOW. Every dish was different. The owner hires chefs from India and supervises the training. Over the 4 years we have been going there the food has never once let us down. Always a great dining experience in very nice clean and upscale restaurant. You can take your loved one here and feel confident of a great meal. It is large enough for business functions as well.

The place itself is always spotless and even the glass between the tables is clean and shiny. No signs of fingerprints or dust in this place. Table cloths are clean as are the floors bathrooms and windows. The owner prides himself in serving home style meals in a setting he himself would want. Service is always with a smile and efficient. He and his family will reward your visit with service and great food. Never a mistake on the order and sometimes off menu specials he and his family eat for lunch are available. Tandoori specialties include the normal stuff but try the fish or paneer Tika and other yummy surprises. Naan is best in Toronto as is the food.

Will we go back? You bet. We have enjoyed India Gate and will continue to do so. If you have not tried the place it is in the plaza by Henrys Camera and Giant Tiger. The plaza itself is a bit of a let down and you cannot see the restaurant from the street. But it is worth seeking this place out for a meal. Terrific food at a fair price served by a terrific family. Now what else can you ask for?

Sandi and John... Bolton Ontario