“Absolutely delicious !!”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

My husband took me to this restaurant for Valetine's day.. We had been here once before- we stumbled upon it and read the amazing reviews from Toronto life outside the window... We were both delighted by the 'Chef's Choice' dinner- it was nice to try new items and to be surprised by the new and delicious flavours. While I love this place- I do think the interior could use a mild renovation... New paint, tables, chairs and maybe even a new floor and bathroom fix up would do this place wonders! I'm sure they can afford it! They are obviously doing really well... The place was packed last night- every table was taken!

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I went here with fourteen ladies. The server handled the large group with ease and a smile. Jyo, the chef is a master of fresh food and presentation. A lot of the ladies enjoyed the chefs meal. A tasting of about twenty items. I was not prepared to spend $50.00 plus in a restaurant I had not been to before. I decided to select off the menu. Choices we're sashimi (very fresh but small), miso soup, salad, beef rolls with scallions, and shrimp tempura. The homemade wasabi was excellent. My dinner was around $45.00 including one small glass of wine and tax.
Now for some customer advice. The nine dollars for a very small glass of average white wine was a rip off. The place is small and dose not have the ambience that warrants some of their pricing. We had to park in back of junky mall. Would not have appreciated the walk downhill on a winters
night. The food is good but pricy.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

I have dined there multiple times and was never disappointment by the food. Yes, I agree with some other reviewers, Jyo, the chef, is a very passionate and skillful chef with very strong opinions. Sometimes it may sound like he is rude, but he is just being vocal about his feelings and it may come across the wrong way due to a slight language barrier. I agree that the servers are a bit on the slow side, but I don't mind, as I usually dine there with friends and we just chat and chat while we wait. Afterall, I think the amazing food makes it all worth while, must try their omakase that best showcases Jyo's skills and tastes in Japanese food (call ahead to reserve).

2  Thank BON2travel
Reviewed October 3, 2012

The great thing about Solo Sushi-Ya is that the fish is very fresh. Also the menu is unique and very yummy.I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone - especially seafood lovers.

1  Thank IceGlide
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Love the sushi here! Have enjoyed Ichiban Sushi many times when I worked in Toronto and was thrilled to find they now have a location in Newmarket. The atmosphere is lovely- perfect place to bring a business associate or a friend. The service was outstanding - took the time to listen to my dietary restrictions, bringing me a bottle to check the ingredients and even made up some sauce for me try- (my new favorite!) and sushi was fabulous. Best yellow tail hand roll I have ever had! Even my hard-to-please husband is looking forward to going back. Give it a try!

2  Thank marthamarton