“Great food, great atmosphere”
Review of Norma Jean's

Norma Jean's
Ranked #5 of 103 Restaurants in Owen Sound
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Cafe, Gastropub, Fusion
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Norma Jean's opened it's doors in 1984 and has been a local favourite for 30 years. Offering a wide range of food and brews/spirits for every walk of life. Drawing inspiration from many cultures and culinary styles. Norma Jean's also includes daily lunch and dinner features created by the amazing team of chefs dwelling in the closet... Uh hum, I mean kitchen!
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Great food, great atmosphere”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

A busy restaurant but attentive, friendly staff kept up the service. Good atmosphere with Marilyn photos and memorabilia plus excellent music (R&B, blues, etc). Sensible portions (i.e. not over-sized) of freshly cooked food. Highly recommended.

Visited May 2014

Owen Sound, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Totally overrated”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Poor table. Poor service. Poor food. If you're going on a Saturday night, never say that there are 3 of you, make sure you say 4. They have one table for 3 which means 2 people are squashed into a seat for 1 on the bench along the wall. I like a cozy feeling but not with my fellow diners. It's pretty bad when the lady at the next table says 'let me know if you want out and I'll move my chair' and the person on the bench beside us keeps saying 'sorry or excuse me'. The service to take our orders was okay but after an hour I had to ask where our food was. When I did, it came right away. Actually, it was pretty much the only food that came out of the kitchen in that hour. Unfortunately, 2 of the 3 meals were terrible. My wife asked for her steak medium with sauce on the side rather than on the steak. Her steak arrived it was well done on 1 end and raw at the other, plus the sauce was on the steak rather than on the side. I ordered 'french onion soup' and their signature burger, well done. Don't order the soup, stick with french fries. The burger came well done. My idea of a well done burger in a restaurant is 'no pink', not a 1/4 of an inch of charred beef on all sides. When we mentioned our displeasure, we were told that there were 2 new cooks and that they were working with a 4 burner stove. As well one of the cooks hadn't shown up. Not my problem. Our server's comment was 'we just have to make the best we can'. We were told it was busy because of it being the night before Mother's Day. I'm sure that on this night they were over their seating capacity. We weren't the only diners that felt the closeness of their fellow diner. In fairness, they did remove the steak from our bill but we will NOT be returning any time soon if ever.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Larry G
Owen Sound, Canada
“Dinner out with the girls”
Reviewed April 17, 2014

Norma Jean's always has something unusual on the menu, which is a treat to try. The food is well displayed and nicely served. The restaurant is fairly small, so reservations are a must. I always enjoy going there.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Alexandra W
Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
“Excellent Food!”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

The quality of food in this establishment makes up for the small size of the seating. This restaurant is tiny but the food and the service make up for the close seating. My absolute favorite is the Blues Burger, always cooked perfectly. Best Burgers in town!

• Visited December 2013
Ontario, Canada
“Dinner before the theatre”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Great little restaurant in the heart of Down Town Owen Sound. Daily specials keep the food current and interesting. The regular menu has lots of varied and delicious items as well. A regular favourite are the crepes. A great place to see and be seen!

• Visited April 2014