“Great Lunch Specials”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Owen Sound, Canada
“Great Lunch Specials”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Great Lunch - very fresh, very tasty. Came with a small bowl of soup, egg roll, rice and your choice of several different meat selections.

Great service!

• Visited October 2013

Kincardine, Ontario
“A Little Rough Around the Edges”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We went to the Shan Hu Asian Restaurant 22-Jun 2013. This is in an old Burger King in Owen Sound. The decour is reminds you of the old Burger King which brought back bad memories for a few at the table. The first waiter didn't seem to understand English and mixed up the drink order. The next waiter spoke better English and took our orders. Even that got messed up as my young niece's rice order was missed.
The restaurant appears to over-reach as there is Japanese, Thai, Chinese Korean, and Vietnamese food offered on a very large menu. We wondered if this could be successfully done with the few customers they had on a Saturday night.
I am happy to report that I had Pad-Thai and a combo platter appetizer and quite enjoyed them. My wife had a spicy shrimp dish that she liked and there was plenty of food to go round. I can't remember what everyone else had but everyone seemed satisfied.
So the conclusion is that the food is of good quality and the restaurant was a bit shabby. The wait staff wore t-shirts and jeans so it does not aspire to be an establishment of fine dining.

• Visited June 2013
Toronto, Canada
“good value”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

I went to this restaurant as it is close to the Galaxy theater. the service was fairly good, but the server did not tell us about the 2 for 1 Dim Sum special and as I order a dim sum I should have been told. I found the food flavourful but would not recommend the raman noodles, the flavour was not as good as some of the other dishes. The food was served extremely hot and it was well presented. Generally I would go again but would make sure I knew about the specials and not depend on the server to tell me about them.

• Visited May 2013
Toronto, Canada
“New Owners- The food was insulting!”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My BF and I went last Sunday and opted for a couple of chinese dishes vs sushi.
Where to begin - we were one of only 4 tables and still it took forever for service. I think there was dim sum going on but we were not informed of any specials going on.
We ordered Gyoza, Kung Pao Chicken, Shrimp with Veg & Almonds and steamed rice.

The food we got was truly insulting in my opinion. First came "gyoza" and "Kung Pao Chicken". I even asked what the dishes in front of us were since they resembled NOTHING like the items I ordered. The gyoza were steamed dumplings - not pan fried which is standard for gyoza. No presentation, just thrown on a plate. The Kung Pao Chicken should be called Celery, Green Peppers and Carrots with soya sauce because that's what came to the table. The chicken amounted to about 1 tablespoon of chicken - which was literally bits of skin and I think chicken thigh. I also asked about the gyoza and the server insisted that is what I ordered. I said 'Yes, I ordered gyoza but this is not gyoza. Gyoza are pan fried dumplings." After a few back and forths someone came out and offered to have them pan fried. Well, for goodness sake - YES PLEASE. Teh Shrimp with Veg and Almonds came out 'passable' I guess. It was the same celery, green pepper and carrots along with a few shrimp and almonds and the soya sauce -sauce on it.
The owners must think we are fools to pay for dishes that are the bare minimum. The previous owners were good but the new owners are going to have to deliver on the menu items or look into anyother line of work soon because I don't think they'll have many customer returns.

I will not go back. I have heard that the old owners are in downtown Owen Sound running a smaller version of their restaurant. I look forward to visiting their place. Not Shan Yun (I believe that's the new name).

• Visited April 2013
Bruce Peninsula, Canada
“Delicious Sushi”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Although, from the outside the Shan Hu doesn't look like much (it's the old Burger King), the food and the people inside are great! This is our favourite sushi place in Owen Sound.

Visited June 2012