“Birthday Dinner ruined by awful service!”
Review of Rocky Raccoon Cafe - CLOSED

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Port Elgin, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Birthday Dinner ruined by awful service!”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I have been to this restaurant 2 times, the second being last weekend for my girlfriend's birthday. The food was decent as I have come to expect, however the night was all but ruined by terrible service. And I mean terrible. Terrible enough for me to write this review, which is out of character.

I made reservations for 2 on a Friday night for dinner, the place was not at capacity, not even close actually.

First, the waitress could not serve alcohol (really?) so the chef had to run back and forth from the kitchen to serve. This resulted in my girlfriend waiting at least 20 minutes for a refill on her glass of wine, depite my repeated, polite, reminders. I had to give up on ordering a second beer .
The waitress also did not clear the empty glasses of water, beer, wine, from the table which I neatly grouped together in front of my plate to draw to her attention (5 empty glasses in total).

Also was not offered dessert (after waiting 15 minutes in a small restaurant with empty plates in front of us) which we finally ordered after I had to grab my own menu. Coffee we ordered after dessert took only 2 gentle reminders from myself, and by the time we got it, it was cold. I told the waitress who said "I haven't figured out how to use the machine yet I guess" and "I would take those off your bill but I don't know how, I guess you can tip less?".

I've had better service at Taco Bell, where the meal was not $100 before tax. I will not return, I don't care how good the food is.

And note to the owner, get some trained waitresses who can serve alcohol and who have a shred of competence.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Chris S

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Rocky Raccoon Cafe Caters to the Allergy Diet”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

This is an amazing place to dine, and you can have your meal customized for an allergy diet! I had the most amazing meal there recently during girls night out. Robin always creates an amazing experience and the food is fresh and local. The red wine I chose was from Niagara-on-the-Lake, very tasty. 3 of 4 of us enjoyed the lamb, it was succulent, absolutely mouth watering! We ordered mushroom soup to start, it was made both gluten and dairy free on the spot and just for us. As well the gluten free bread came from Jenn Croft at Creative Choices, a lovely wholesale/retail location in Rockford, again a local supplier. The atmosphere at the Rocky Raccoon Cafe is incredible, we were enjoying ourselves so much that we thought we might miss the beginning of the play The Donnelly's at the Roxy Theatre, fortunately we had a couple of minutes to spare! We even saw a young man propose to his fiance while there, all in all a very delicious meal and highly recommended while visiting Owen Sound!

• Visited April 2013
Owen Sound, Canada
“A Rural Ontario Cultural Treasure”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My wife and i have been dining at the Rocky Raccoon for the past 10 years. We have followed Robin, Suman and Shelley form Dyer's Bay to Wiarton and now to Owen Sound (where we live). My wife would describe herself as "not an adventurous eater," but she will "eat anything cooked by Robin or Suman. We have probably dined at the Rocky Raccoon at least 50 times and never once had anything that was sub-par. We love going to eat there because we know that we will always leave with a smile on our face. Sometimes when we go to the chain restaurants, we sit across form each other, barely talk and eat for the sake of eating. At the rocky Raccoon the tastes are so pleasant and alive that we seem to talk a lot more and reconnect over maple spiced bread and various curry dishes each time we visit. I am a vegetarian and do nto think that i have ever had the same dish twice. Robin and his brother always create savoury dishes that combine fresh and for the most part when possible, local produce with spices, salts and sauces to consistently give great taste experiences. I am often awestruck that we have such a gem in our back yard here in Owen Sound. We're a little off the beaten path for a restaurant that you would typically expect to find n a larger urban setting. For the quality and freshness of the food (many organic and local ingredients included), i cannot believe how reasonable the prices are. Robin is a very gracious host and an outstanding member of the community who is involved in many local fund-raising initiatives and philanthropic ventures. You may have to let your guard down a little to dine at the rocky Raccoon. It is not your typical small town Southwestern Ontario atmosphere. the walls are filled with pictures from Nepal and host the Rocky Raccoon's salt and pepper shaker collection.Whatever mood Robin is in influences the dinner music. It could be traditional East Indian sounds or more modern mixes with baselines and beats or sometimes stripped down folk0style singer-songwriters. For people who are shy of curry, Robin always has steak or some sort of fish options as well as beautiful salads and some great desert options. Hope you take the opportunity to try out this local treasure.

• Visited March 2013
Toronto, Canada
“our choice for special family meals”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We live in Toronto with a week end farm near Owen Sound. During the week in Toronto, it is common for us to check out new restaurants every week and occasionally return to the odd one, but nothing compares to the fantastic fun and awesome dining experience that awaits at Rocky Raccoon's. We save it special for our family celebrations! Robin is not only a top drawer chef, but he also mingles personally with you and interacts with the entire restaurant! You are made to feel so special that it is almost like you are over at his private home for dinner! - He'll even bring you your glass of wine. It's great to experience the personality behind the character of the food- the added personal touch really kicks it up another notch! Thank you, Robin!

Visited March 2013
Ontario
“Simply Amazing, Everything was Good.”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

First time at the Rocky Raccoon, we both love curry dishes, the dishes all come mild, sauces are on the side , whatever heat you prefer. My wife thought the mushroom soup was to die for, i opted for samousa, and dumplings, the curry beef was excellent it was accompanied with rice, vegetables in a sauce, salad, and a slice of cucumber with a spicy sauce i could of had more of. My wife had the same dish except with curry chicken, she said it was excellent. Dessert consisted of a very light layer cake, drizzled with an orange sauce, which finished off our excellent meal. The service was timely but not rushed, reservations are preferred but not always required. I think the fact we came early 17:30 may have helped as when we left @ 18:45 it was pretty full.

• Visited March 2013