See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed January 29, 2019

Need better heating system and snow clearing as it was lax and when i book room and say i will pay by debt and charge my credit card with no way to reverse charges is unacceptable heating in room was so bad had to change rooms at midnight

Date of stay: January 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed January 3, 2019

Reception staff friendly and helpful and the room was quite large. My room was up one flight of stairs. Didn't notice/see an elevator so not sure if one exists.

The bedding, bathroom, carpet etc. was clean. The heating was via fan which is placed next to the window and doubles as air conditioning in warm weather. I found the rumbling of the machine to be a bit annoying, but since I wear earplugs, it was OK for me.
All in all, I would return (and have) as the price is decent for what you get. The breakfast was very basic continental.

What I appreciated was the location. There is a small mall with a drugstore (I don't remember if it was London Drugs or a Shoppers) just across the street and best of all, a Tim Horton's diagonally across the intersection.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed November 6, 2018 via mobile

Normally I take other reviews, especially bad ones, with a grain of salt but in this case I can verify many of the claims. There is definitely a very strong odor of cleaning solvents but it was much worse in the lobby than in the room. We were moved to a great room on the third floor right by the stairs after complaining about screaming children next to our first room in the basement. (Paper thin walls) The only complaints about our room were the water pressure in the shower as mentioned by others, and the lack of Kleenex (an oversight?). The worst part of our stay was being hit with a hockey puck as we tried to get into our room which was blocked by a goalie net. Despite getting the clerk to come up and speak to the children (not an adult in sight), they never did move the net or apologize for hitting me and in the end, we had to climb over the net to get in our room. I know Travelodge is a favorite for hockey teams, but Parents - please supervise your children. Hotel staff are not paid to babysit and other guests do not pay for the privilege of being in the middle of a game or having to negotiate with 10 year olds to get into their rooms.

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2018

From the outside, the property looked reasonably well maintained. The staff member that checked me in was unremarkable, she was neither friendly nor rude. The lobby looked nice and well maintained, but was pretty dark at the time I checked in.

The hotel lobby is on the second floor, which is ground level on one side of the building and a story up on the other side of the building. So, a room on the first floor feels a bit like a basement. There is no elevator.

My room was on the first floor. When I first checked in, I was pretty impressed with the room. It looked recently renovated, clean, and well maintained.

Upon closer inspection of the room, I noted a few issues. The queen bed had a twin sheet on it, an electrical socked was missing a cover, and several of the baseboards were loose - nothing major.

I left the hotel around 6pm for a hockey game, returning at 10:30pm and I was in for a shock.

Despite being billed as a non-smoking hotel, the lobby of the hotel had a strong smell of smoke. When I went down the stairs to the first floor the hall was thick with smoke, both regular cigarettes and marijuana. The smell of smoke permeated into my room and my clothes (which I had to wash as soon as I got home).

When I went to sleep, I found out the walls of this hotel are paper thin! All night, I could hear every door opening, every footstep, every toilet flushing, every faucet running, people snoring (seriously, SNORING!) and even the conversations of the people in the next room. Being a light sleeper, I barely got a wink of sleep with all the noise and awoke early with the sound of doors.

The bathroom of the hotel offered a bit of comic relief in the morning. The toilet in my room was ridiculously small and close to the ground. It is probably better suited to an elementary school restroom than a hotel restroom. The toilet was terribly at flushing things away. As a result, I need to flush six times just to get rid of toilet paper, which is a huge waste of water. However, the shower head is very low-flow, which barely produced a trickle of water. I fiddled with the settings without success. It took me almost 30 minutes to shower, something that normally takes me less than 10 minutes. I felt like I was trapped in a Seinfeld episode.

I couldn't help but laugh at the notion that someone decided to put an outdated and ridiculously wasteful toilet in the same bathroom as a ridiculously low-flow to the point of uselessness shower head.

I skipped the breakfast in the morning. While the continental breakfast (grains only) looked OK, there was limited seating and I had nowhere to eat.

All in all, the hotel was clean and comfortable. But the paper thin walls and comical maintenance make this hotel one to visit as a last resort only.

Bring your ear plugs!

Room tip: Top floor is probably quieter, avoid the first floor.
Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed October 3, 2018

What's right: a happy smiling reception on arrival late at night.
What's wrong: so much, here's a shortlist.
1) Other guests partying late into the night (3am) on the patio and parking areas outside the lower level rooms, smoke drifting in, even to the corridors.
2) Hotel workers in the same space early in the mornings, chatting and smoking so the windows/doors had to remain closed.
3) The mess and stink of butts and cans.
4) A very poor breakfast selection which included stale bread. Styrofoam cups and plates - really? Is this the best a hotel can do these days? The breakfast area is also used to fold laundry at night and the smell remains.
5) Apart from the initial late night reception, staff who appeared to hate their jobs and had little idea of how to treat guests.
6) The rooms and corridor on the lower floor feel damp, probably because the laundry area is there and the doors to the washers are always open.
7) Waited for many minutes to give our views to reception at check-out but gave up waiting as the one slow member of staff took so long to deal with a single person ahead of us, with no hint of acknowledgement towards us.
Overall a very tired hotel, clearly lacking investment in staff training, the rooms and grounds. Is a hotel responsible for the anti-social activities of some guests? Probably not, although good management would at least have reminded them of their responsibilities to others.
There are probably worse places, we just hope we never stay in them.

Room tip: Avoid the lower floor which faces onto the parking area.
Date of stay: September 2018