“Unfortunate”

Comfort Inn Owen Sound
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Owen Sound
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I have stayed in 4 different hotels for one night only each time over the last 3 months. I have reviewed many hotels, most of which have been good to excellent. Unfortunately, this hotel didn't measure up this time. The rooms are very inconsistent in extras. We booked wanting a fridge in our room. Out of the three families staying overnight for a volleyball tournament, one room had a fridge and microwave, one room just had a fridge and our room had neither. We asked if we could have a room with a fridge and they refused to move us even though we were there early and most of the hotel guests hadn't checked in yet. Another area where it fell VERY short was at the continental breakfast. There were only 3- 2 person tables in the foyer. Even when it opened at 7 am the orange juice was out by 7:10am. The food kept running out as well. There was a huge line up, as the hotel was full. The hotel was totally unable to handle the amount of guests at breakfast. Why advertise a continental breakfast if the most you can fit in the area is 3 couples? Poor planning. The hotel also charged us twice for our room, in which we still need to settle up with them.
The room was properly cleaned however, so no worries there. But I would still book elsewhere next time we go to Owen Sound. The hotel would probably be fine if you went when it was 1/3 full, so if you go in low season you may find yourself ok with it.

Room Tip: Ask specifically when you book for a room with a microwave and a fridge. Have them write it down on...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManagerOS, General Manager at Comfort Inn Owen Sound, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback. We take all reviews seriously and use them as a helpful tool to improve our guests’ experience. We apologize that you didn’t receive a room with a fridge; we did have the request recorded in our logs unfortunately on very rare occasions some requests are unable to be fulfilled. During your stay we were fully booked so we were unable to switch your room otherwise we would have gladly been able to get you in a room with a fridge. Our continental breakfast is among the best in Owen Sound and we are currently working towards starting a full hot breakfast. We do apologize there was no orange juice left when you came out for breakfast had the front desk been notified we would have promptly changed it for you. In regards to your comment about us charging you twice this is a very rare mistake for our hotel to make, however when a guest checks in we preauthorize their credit card for room amount plus deposit and then complete the charge for exact amount upon checkout perhaps this was why you thought we double charged you. If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to contact us anytime.

There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn Owen Sound

Reviewed July 10, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Mike G
GeneralManagerOS, General Manager at Comfort Inn Owen Sound, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I booked this hotel for my family as we were attending a lacrosse tournament. I booked through the Choice Hotels online, queen bed with a pull out, however the room was with two beds. I used my credit card to reserve, my wife thought I had paid and found the front desk person to be quite rude in stating "no that is not how it works". Later that night 11PM or so someone is trying to get in the room, we were quite startled and called the front desk "oh sorry I guess we should have known that"!!

The breakfast the next day was a muffin or toast, quite disappointing. All in all bad attitude and terrible service!!

I travel globally for my work and know that there is no reason for people to be treated this way. My recommendation, pick another hotel!1

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManagerOS, General Manager at Comfort Inn Owen Sound, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Thank you Bruzer for your review of our hotel. We use the review process to ensure that we continuously improve based on what guests tell us. We apologize for any confusion during the check in or booking process it is our policy to preauthorize the guests’ credit card the day of arrival and charge the card at checkout. At Comfort Inn we offer a deluxe continental breakfast that includes freshly made waffles, danishes, muffins, toast, eggs, yogurt, english muffins, three kinds of cereal and two kinds of juice. We hope to have you stay again soon.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We arrived for our stay at about 7:30 after ten hours on the road and were both in some pain because of some lingering injuries. A young man on the front desk checked us in and assigned a room on the second floor. I informed him of our pain issues and the number of bags we had since the hotel lacks an elevator. I asked for a room on the main floor. He told me that the room I had reserved was on the second floor. I had reserved online and actually had no clue that it was on the second floor. He then told me that he did have rooms on the main floor but we would have to pay more.

In three other hotels on this trip where we had been assigned second floor rooms, when I explained the situation, we were given first floor rooms without question or extra charges. One was even a complimentary upgrade. All were in the United States. Perhaps they understand hospitality better down there.

We accepted the second floor room #217 and lugged our bags down the hall and up the stairs. The stairwell stunk badly. It appeared empty of garbage but it wreaked of something. Someone isn't paying attention to let something so bad go unattended.

The room itself was a bit dated and tired. An ironing board hangs on the wall beside the bed and there is no end table on one side of the bed. We found the bed very hard. No pillow top here.

The breakfast was decent and the area was clean but small for the size of the hotel. As we were leaving, we asked for driving directions to a nearby town. It took two women at the desk to consult for several minutes to figure it out. The directions were quite different from what we heard the evening before from the young man who checked us in. He had seemed unsure, which was what prompted us to double check in the morning. The overall experience disappointed us.

Room Tip: There is no elevator. If stairs are any issue, request ground floor by calling the hotel directly.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review. We are extremely sorry that us having no elevator was an inconvenience for you please feel free to request this when making your reservation in the future. We apologize for any confusion with directions and look forward to seeing you visit again.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Just stopped for one night, it was good value for the money. Comfortable room, a tad dated, no frills, but very clean. I had no issues at all with my stay. Gal at front desk was very friendly and helpful!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you 5000km for taking the time to post a review about Comfort Inn Owen Sound. At Comfort inn our guest service agents are always friendly and helpful and our housekeeping staff works hard to maintain clean rooms. We greatly appreciate your comments and look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

When I arrived, I was greated by two friendly staff who were very accommodating...providing a map of the area...outlining directions to 10 restaurants and the location of the event I was attending. I parked right outside my room which made unpacking and packing easy. The room was clean and the bed top quality. The hotel is centrally located to the core of Owen Sound. The bay was close for drumming, a labyrinth is down the street at a corner church. Although there are vending machines and fresh coffee available...Tim Horton's is next door on the corner. I stayed for five days and look forward to a return trip to this Comfort in and the beauty of Owen Sound.

Room Tip: Although A/C was a bit noisy...I took advantage of leaving the patio door open to allow the outside...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
GeneralManagerOS, General Manager at Comfort Inn Owen Sound, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Thank you for your review of our hotel our front desk clerks are always happy to help with directions. We are very glad to hear you found the room clean and the bed to be top quality. At Comfort Inn we work extremely hard to provide our guests with great service and accommodations, we look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

A clean, comfortable place for an overnight stop. Person at front desk, Barb, was very helpful when we asked for special accommodation. Had an excellent night's sleep as our room was quieter than most motels and the beds were very good.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
GeneralManagerOS, General Manager at Comfort Inn Owen Sound, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Thank you for your kind review of Comfort Inn Owen Sound. Our staff works very hard to accommodate our guests. We are well known for being a quiet hotel even on nights when fully booked.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Owen Sound
#1 of 4 in Southampton
Waterview on The Bay
Waterview on The Bay
#1 of 4 in Wiarton

Been to Comfort Inn Owen Sound? Share your experiences!