“Very nice hotel on the bay!” 4 of 5 bubbles

BEST WESTERN Inn On The Bay
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Owen Sound
GreenLeadersSilver level
Columbia, MD
“Very nice hotel on the bay!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

We recently spent two nights at the BW Inn on the Bay. We were pleasantly surprised by the excellent quality of the hotel, its rooms, and its restaurant. Our room was spacious, with flat screen television and free wi-fi. It was very clean, and everything worked as expected. We had lunch at the hotel restaurant as well as complimentary breakfast, and both were good. The location was very convenient for visiting the Bruce peninsula. I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends visiting Owen Sound.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Jason H, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Inn On The Bay, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Hi ColumbiaTrekkers,

Thank you for the kind review regarding your stay at our hotel. Many guests enjoy the onsite restaurant and beautiful location at this hotel and I am glad to see that you did too. We are the main hotel for guests visiting the Bruce Peninsula as we are located very close to the best parts of the Bruce Trail while being centrally located for some of the best waterfalls as well. Inglis falls, Jones falls and Indian falls are all less than 10 minutes from the hotel. I hope you had the opportunity to visit some of them during this beautiful fall season and hope you will return to see it again sometime in the future.

Thank you again for your kind response.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Korean first
Livonia, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

Stayed three nights while attending a conference in September 2012, thankfully at a slightly reduced room rate. Otherwise, this place would really be overpriced. Much is made of the water-side location in hotel ads, but our room was at the end of the hallway with of a view of the parking lot. Odd room layout, it was very difficult to get past the desk chair to get around to the other side of the bed. Finally just pushed the chair off to one side to get it out of the way. The first entire night we noticed the fluorescent light over the entry door flickering, almost like a strobe light, even though the switch was off. Reported the problem to the front desk as a possible fire/electrical-short hazard. Maintenance staff simply disabled the light fixture. It was not repaired during our stay. Paid $450.84 Cnd for the three nights. Continental breakfast included. Nothing special here to recommend a return visit.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hi GreatLakesMariner,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at our hotel. I am aware that some of our rooms do not offer a great view over the Bay and encourage our guests to enjoy the location by taking in the scenery in other ways. The restaurant, spa and walking path along the water offer spectacular views over Georgian Bay and are complimentary for all of our guests. Of course, there are several suite options that do offer great views from the guest room as well.

I know that the room you stayed in has two queen beds and that can make for limited extra space in the guest room. I remember your room because of the lighting issue (I had a look at it myself). I assure you that there were no fire or electrical hazards as it was determined that the light switch was allowing a very small amount of current through even when shut off. The electrician had a look and ordered the correct replacement part so we were unable to repair the light during your stay. The front desk was told to offer a complimentary upgrade and you should have received that offer upon your return that day. I sincerely apologize if that offer was not extended to you and hope that you would consider staying with us again when returning to the area. I would enjoy the opportunity to provide you the accommodations you deserve.

Thank you again for your review.
Markham, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

Great location to see the sights and Fall Colours of the Grey-Bruce area. Very Quiet hotel with wonderful restaurant. Great sunsets just outside the hotel. Fantastic place to stay when touring through the area. Close to all amenities.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sara H
Jason H, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Inn On The Bay, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Hi Sara,

Thank you for taking the time to complete such a nice review for our hotel. Fall colours are in full bloom and it is a beautiful time to be in Owen Sound. The sunsets over the water certainly help bring out the beauty in our scenery and landscape. I hope you will have the oppertunity to come and visit us again next year.
Owen Sound, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed in a room with a jacuzzi, a king-sized bed and a fireplace to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. The front desk staff were pleasant and helpful. The room was clean, comfortable and tastefully decorated. We liked the seating area in front of the fireplace and we appreciated the absence of mirrors around the jacuzzi. There was a lovely view of the bay and the hotel grounds from our room. We slept well because the bed was comfortable and the hotel was quiet. We ate breakfast in the dining room and the food was delicious. The dining room staff are very friendly. We had such a nice time that we plan to come here every year for our anniversary.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 4grahams
Hi 4grahams,

First of all, congratulations on 25 years in a wonderful marriage! It sounds like you two can still have a lot of fun together and that is great to see in your review. Your kind words are very much appreciated and we will look forward to your return in the many coming years while you celebrate your anniversary.

Thank you for the great review!
Guelph, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

I arranged a meeting here and all went well. The room was properly set up, comfortable and quiet. My partner had to put in time waiting for me, so she sat in the restaurant. She reported that the staff were very friendly and accommodating. Their home made muffins were so good she bought a couple to take with us. The view of Owen Sound (the body of water, not the city) was pleasant and relaxing. Based on this experience we would consider staying at the hotel on a longer visit.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hi Bill,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your experience at our hotel. I am glad that you were well accommodated in all departments and hope that you do have the chance to stay with us again in the future. Our banquet space can accommodate up to 180 guests and can be sufficient for small meetings or large celebrations. If you are travelling for leisure purposes, be sure to contact the hotel directly and ask for a suite facing the water. We will be sure to help you get the most out of your next experience in Owen Sound.

Thank you.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Not sure why the rave ratings? I've stayed at better Best Westerns. The property is located on the water, but when I looked out my window I was boxed in and all I saw was someone elses window. The hotel itself is located in an industrial area, so felt kind of out of the way and spooky.
The rooms needed updating for sure. Hotel staff were polite. I was originally travelling on my own, but a friend joined me at the last minute. At check-in, I was asked how many people, I said 2 and was charged an extra $20. For what? A continental breakfast of yogurt and water?
I will not be staying here again, I would not recommend this hotel. There is a Travelodge located in a better area that I will try next time I go to Owen Sound.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 216, no view whatsoever, not even the parking lot!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Jason H, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Inn On The Bay, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Hi MsBLuv2travel,

I am sorry that our hotel did not meet your expectations. Unfortunately, the hotel is not designed in a way that every room has a view of the bay. Still, there are many opportunities to take in this beautiful location and enjoy the waterfront. Our spa area and restaurant patio are in prime locations and are great examples of how every guest can enjoy a wonderful view of the bay.

The extra charge should only be for rooms with over three adults unless you stayed under a corporate or government rate. The standard increase is ten dollars after two adults and it covers the cost of breakfast and amenities used. Our continental breakfast comes complete with fresh whole and sliced fruit, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, French toast, muffins, pastries and a wide variety of breads and cereals. I am not certain if yogurt and water were just your choice, but there are plenty of options to enjoy.

Again, I apologize that your stay did not meet expectations. Better hotels certainly do exist and we acknowledge that. We do believe in our product and service at this hotel and i hope that you would give us another opportunity to show you why in the future.

Thank you.
Brampton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed for one night and had a really nice and restful nights sleep. We stayed in a suite and it was lovely. Lovely people at the hotel. Only thing was that I put on a robe and found a used kleenex eeeew!!

Room Tip: Pay extra for the suite ;)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hi sheijei1,

Your compliments on our hotel are much appreciated! I am not sure how a dirty kleenex would have gotten into a clean robe, but I will be checking into it personally. Our standard of clean is above and beyond what most other brands have which makes this alarming. Thank you for letting me know.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Owen Sound
#1 of 4 in Southampton
Waterview on The Bay
Waterview on The Bay
#1 of 4 in Wiarton

Been to BEST WESTERN Inn On The Bay? Share your experiences!