“Good hotel at a great location”

BEST WESTERN Inn On The Bay
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Owen Sound
GreenLeadersSilver level
Mississauga
“Good hotel at a great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for one night only while traveling to Wiarton and chose the hotel because of it's location - right on the sound and we were very happy with the hotel. Our room was clean and had all the amenities - a very large LG flat screen TV - a mini fridge, nice bathroom and a comfortable bed. Our only complaint was that the air conditioner was very loud when it started up but other than that - a nice Best Western.

We had dinner at the restaurant - Bishops' Landing and while this is not gourmet or fancy food it is good home cooking - the usual assortment of burgers, ribs, pastas etc. Our waiter was a very young friendly fellow who made us feel right at home and the wine list has a lot of Canadian wines (like Pelee Island and Mike Wier) at very reasonable prices (averaging around $29-$35) as well as the odd Lindemands' Bin 65 etc. The lounge has nice comfy chairs and the patio is very nice in the summer.

The room stay even included 2 vouchers for either the continental buffet breakfast or $3 each off the ala carte.

The best part of the hotel is the location - right along a walking path on the sound and you could conceivably walk to the downtown (perhaps a 20 minute stroll - we didn't attempt it) but it's a very short drive to downtown (2 minutes at most).

Our room even had a good view of the July 1st fireworks!

We will be back although they book up pretty fast in the summer months - so book early.
Special kudos to the front desk who even though it looked like the hotel was booked for a weekend 2 weeks out (middle of July) was able to get us a reservation when we asked at the front desk for 1 night. Great service!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
0496, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Inn On The Bay, responded to this review, July 6, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. It is always nice to hear from our guests. We stive to ensure all our guests are pleased with our property and the services we offer and comments like yours make it well worth it.
Thank you again for your comments and we do look forward to seeing you in the future.
Lorne Sarmiento, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Korean first
Georgetown, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

We had a quiet comfortable stay. Towels were good - nice size - this is becoming a standard criteria for me. The room had a view of the water and we only booked the day of arrival. It included continental breakfast or a discount off the menu. The room was a bit crowded with furniture, but comfortable. The TV was nice too. Wifi is only available in the lobby, but I couldn't pick up the network signal there either. We used the VERY slow PC in the lobby to look up information. This was the only disappointment.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
0496, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Inn On The Bay, responded to this review, June 16, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on trip advisor. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We just installed a new wireless system in the hotel and doubled our band width recently and all guests are issued auser name and password at time of check in. This is normally stamped on your key card envelope and the front desk agents are to inform you of this at time of check in. I certainly apologise for this and take measures to ensure this does not happen in the future.
Again, thank you for your posting and have a great day.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

I wonder when they built this hotel if they sound proofed it? I heard ever door close, every conversation etc. When I complained I was treated very rudely and told, "what would you like us to do about it". My husband was furious and we left immediately and drove to our next location on our vacation. The room was clean but the bathroom had a urine smell and our phone kept blinking as if there was a message there but there wasn't. We will never return to this motel again if we travel back to this area.

5 Thank Rlybadgrl
Mississauga, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

We recently stayed at this property. The rooms have a king bed and pull out couch. What they don't tell you, be prepared to move furniture, oh wait, there's nowhere to move it too. We had to place the coffee table on top of the desk! First night was quiet at the hotel. The second night - not every close. We noticed that a group of golfers were checking in and thought, it could be noisy. At the end of the day, we arrived back at the hotel to find a wedding party. The wedding reception was held at the hotel - I was prepared for noise until 1am but 4am, it was ridiculous. The room that we were given was right by the lobby and facing the patio. Guess where the guests went outside to smoke, the patio. No one attempted to tell the people to be quiet, they were as loud as they wanted to be. It went on until 4am. Surprisingly (NOT) when we checked out no one asked us how our stay was. If you are having groups, why not put the groups together. Let the individual groups make noise together. Very disappointing, I came home from what should have been an enjoyable and relaxing weekend exhausted.

Room Tip: Find out if they are having groups. Run
  • Stayed June 2011
4 Thank RoundtheWorld011
0496, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Inn On The Bay, responded to this review, June 14, 2011
Thank you for taking trhe time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. I certainly apologise for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. Yes we did have a wedding as well as a golf tour in the hotel, which to our surprise became a challenge to handle. Needless to say, we had to call the police to enforce the noise issue. We are now going to be a little more selective when it comes to some of our guests.
Again, I apologise for the inconvenience and if I can provide any assistance, dont hesitate to contact me directly at 519-371-9200
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

There was a wedding the same weekend that we stayed and unfortunatley it didn't seem like anyone from the hotel was interested in trying to keep them quiet. We figured that the music would stop around 1 am but it didn't. You could hear wedding guests around 3:30 am in the lobby but not one word to keep them quiet.

The room set-up was also awkward as we had to use the pull out sofa bed and basically had to re-arrange the some of the furniture in order to use it.

The breakfast was rather nice but overall it was a rather disappointing stay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Lumlui
Cottage country, Georgian Bay, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

stayed here while on training course outside of town. the room was very comfortable with all the basic ammenities required. Hot tubs are in a great location overlooking the waterfront. Business rates were very good. fast and freindly check in. Morning breakfast had good selection.

Room Tip: ask for waterfront view.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor.We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us as we take pride in our facility and service. Wecertainly look forward to seeing you some time in the future.
Again, thanks you for taking the time and if I can be of any assistance please contact me directly at 519-371-9200.
Owen Sound, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

I have stayed there in the past overnight when i had renovations being completed to my unit. I live across the road and kitty corner to the hotel in a condo. For the last two weekends there have been weddings at the hotel. I have lived in my condo at this location for years and never hear others in my building but I do get to hear the hotel. In an idea of distance it is a good 3 football fields away from me.

It was so loud that the hooting and the hollering didn't stop till 4:00 a.m. the first Saturday. I feel sorry for the guests there. This past weekend was a little calmer but maybe that was because it was raining out but it was still very noisy and unpleasant.

From my previous stays there the rooms are clean and nicely decorated. The staff is pleasant and somewhat condescending.

I called the staff to complain about the noise and they hung the phone up on me. Next time I will call our local Police Force and they can deal with the noise complaint.

3 Thank Mixtour
#1 of 4 in Wiarton
Owen Sound Inn
Owen Sound Inn
#4 of 10 in Owen Sound

Been to BEST WESTERN Inn On The Bay? Share your experiences!