“Great Hotel and Great staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Knights Inn Owen Sound

Knights Inn Owen Sound
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Owen Sound
Hamilton, Canada
“Great Hotel and Great staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

My wife and I booked this hotel for a 6 night stay in July 2014. When we arrived, Sam noticed that I had booked a smoking room. I did not book directly with him, choosing to book online through an online hotel site, so he wanted to make sure I actually wanted the smoking room. When I said I don't smoke but it didn't really matter, Sam took the time to show me the room and then compare it with a non-smoking room. He offered to switch us to the non-smoking room in order to give us the best stay possible. The room was very clean, updated and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful at all times. This hotel is great for the price you pay. I will definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Owen Sound and I will be booking again the next time we stay in the area.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank eddie t

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

If you like excitement, uncertainty and downside risk, then book a weekend stay at Knights Inn during the summer. At Knights Inn, your reservation is meaningless – as demand exceeds supply during weekends in July and August. So, the manager (Sam, the person I dealt with, who might also be the owner/operator), will decline to honour your reservation, if he feels that you are not addressing him with the respect he is due. Demand exceeds supply, so he can always sell the room for more money.

Some background. I am a mid 50’s man, who was travelling with my wife and two young children. We had a reservation at Knights Inn for a weekend night, at a specific rate. At check-in, the manager Sam explained that it would cost us an extra $10 – because the reservation was for 1 adult, and we had two adults. We did not dispute this additional charge, because the extra $10 was not material to us, as we explained to Sam.

But Sam felt we did not understand, and insisted upon explaining again and again and again . . . When we cut him off (no anger, no strong words – just “we understand, let’s proceed with the check in) he became upset that we would not let him explain. Finally, he said – you are insulting me, and I am not going to check you in. Did I really insult him (in which case, he is extremely thin skinned)? Might he have created a dispute when none existed because rooms in similar hotels, at that time, were selling for more than our reservation rate +$10? In any event – firm reservation, no room.

Now Knights Inn’s competitor down the road was more than willing to help out, although they did not have any available rooms. The young lady at reception called a number of hotels/motels in the area, found one that had a room available and asked them to hold it under our name. Guess which two establishments I will be recommending to anyone who is going to Owen Sound?

If you like excitement, downside risk and want to test your diplomatic skills with Sam (who could start a fight in an empty room), then Knights Inn is the place for you. Otherwise, look elsewhere, because at Knights Inn, SERVICE is a foreign concept. I would sooner pack a tent than stay at Knights Inn. How did they manage to get ranked the #2 hotel in Owen Sound?

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
15 Thank Fast_E_1234
nancy1175, Manager at Knights Inn Owen Sound, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Thank you for taking your time to write a review about our service. I would like to clarify a few things regarding what happened. The dispute we had about the additional $10 charge for every extra person was taken out of context. Although I may have lost my temper, it was after dealing with similar behavior from the customer towards me. I had made it clear that the extra charge would be applied, and the customer had agreed to it. Once the payment machine was ready, the customer pulled out his credit card and simply refused to pay. Additional charges for extra people are a general policy in the hotel industries, as was stated clearly on reservation sheet. I was acting reasonably, and the way I am presented in your review is false. We welcome our customer's in a warm, comfortable and kind manner. If the customer begins to disrespect the hotel/staff, the hotel has the right to react and proceed with their own matters. Overall, the hotel agrees this negative review has been taken out of context and was made a bigger deal than it was. We hope to overcome this dispute, and see you in the future in a kinder manner.
Langley City, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights, the staff made the process of booking in so pleasant. The room was spacious and clean. The hotel is ideally situated . We would highly recommend this hotel and stay here again

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank lakhwin
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

I stayed 5 nights over there with my family. Room was very clean. 2nd days we ask manger to upgrade our room with then we got it. we had very good treat. motel is on very good location. Breakfast area very nice and clean.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank rogger s
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Never been treated worse in my life! The manager, Sam, refused our corporate rate of $110 for a room with two double beds, and then said he would give it to us for $140 because there were four adults. Even though our corporate rate entitled us to four adults for $110. We said we would pay it but then he refused us the rooms when other customers came in because they were paying the regular rate ($160+). He threw us out of there and we were left scrambling at the last minute to find rooms to stay in. I don't really know if I've ever been treated worse by anyone before and I will never EVER stay in a knights inn establishment ever again. If you're a last minute traveler or clearly look like you're from out of town, stay well clear of this horrid place.

• Stayed July 2014
11 Thank Traveller_ZFA
South Pasadena, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

I stayed in one queen bed room on my way to Bruce peninsula 3rd week June 2014. It was located just next to Hwy and seems a simple Motel with basic facilities; nothing extraordinary.

Manager was very friendly, soft and over supervisory.

Room was clean, small, average linen, small bath, fridge and microwave.For me sleep quality was very poor due to hard and tough pillows.

Breakfast was basic, but no complainants.

The Motel is not Accessible friendly and the manager seems do not care about it.

Place is good for quick, cheap stay.

Its unlikely I stay again..

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Asoka G
London, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2014

just drove up to Owen Sound to visit with friends for a couple of days, my first visit to the Knights Inn. When given our room I requested a change and Sam ( I think that was his name) was absolutely wonderful about the change and couldn't have been nicer. Clean room and comfortable beds.Would definatly stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
#1 of 4 in Wiarton
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#1 of 4 in Southampton

Been to Knights Inn Owen Sound? Share your experiences!