“"time flies at Sunnypoint"”

Sunny Point Resort, Cottages & Inn
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Parry Sound
Reviewed August 19, 2014

We have recently returned from our 4th or 5th trip to Sunnypoint. We initially started to go when our children were pretty young and for a couple of years as they got older and interested in different things we experienced "empty nest syndrome" on our vacation. My children have since grown and one has even moved out, however they have returned for family vacation at Sunnypoint over the last 2 years and have even included their significant others. We couldnt be more thrilled. I attribute their return to the many amenties offered on the grounds. From the time we arrive we are busy, playing tennis, volleyball, boating, paddle boarding and enjoying time at the front on the beach as a family. The cottages themselves are clean, private and obviously well maintained and the views are second to no other. While we travel a few times through the year, this spot holds a special place in our hearts. I truly want to thank Andy and Sue for working so hard in providing such a wonderful experience..

Thanks Colleen and Bryan

Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Colleen N
sunnypt, Owner at Sunny Point Resort, Cottages & Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2014

Colleen and Bryan, Thanks so much for the kind words in your review. You perfectly describe for me and Sue the best part of owning Sunny Point. We see families and couples who we get to know enjoying themselves at our resort. Most of our reservations are repeating guests like yourself. This is for us the best acknowledgement that we are providing the kind of place that families like yours value. Sincerely, Andy and Sue

Reviewed August 18, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in early August in the junior suite. This is a beautiful place and was a perfect place to relax before we completed our holiday by staying in Toronto. The lake provided lots of fun - kayaking, paddle boarding and canoeing as well as swimming. It is peaceful and there are lots of places to enjoy a walk. The suite provided everything you need for self catering. Although we had originally planned to spend a day in Parry Sound, as we were enjoying ourselves so much at Otter Lake we just went to stock up with groceries and went straight back. A great place for families - our children would have really enjoyed themselves here when they were younger - however also a good place for a couple to have a relaxing break.

5  Thank kaswan

Thank you for taking the time to review our property on Trip Advisor. Sue and I are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We agree with you about the fun available on Otter Lake. Sunny Point is at the extreme North East end of the lake between 2 bays. This affords us privacy and of course ample opportunity for all of our guests to enjoy the pristine waters from their rented units... all of which are waterfront. We hope we can accommodate you again on another adventure. Sincerely, Andy

Reviewed August 11, 2014

My husband and I spent a very relaxing week in Cottage 6 and were blessed with fabulous weather. This is a 3 bedroom cottage, and the closest to the water. That said, there are still stairs to the dock, but not nearly as many as some other cottages. Our 9 yr. old Sheltie needed to be carried down the more steep stairs closest to the water, and needed a lift up to some stairs. A larger dog would have no problem. There is no easy access for a smaller dog to enter the water, but a larger dog could easily jump in and out in the more shallow area beside one of the two docks.

The warm water is waist-to-chest deep right off the dock, with tree roots on the bottom, if you enter using one of the two ladders. If you get squeamish about "stuff" on the bottom of the lake, water shoes will solve that problem. If you don't have your own, there is a shop on James Street in nearby Parry Sound where you can purchase them for a reasonable price.

The cottage is cozy with a lovely screened in porch where we enjoyed all our meals. The kitchen is well appointed, however, bring your own baking dish if you want to make lasagna, or to roast anything. For those ladies who like to wear makeup while on holiday (I prefer to give my face a break), bring a small lighted mirror as the energy saving bulbs cast shadows. There is no WiFi, and our Bell cell phones had intermittent service, but I understand Rogers has a more powerful signal. The TV satellite service can break up at times, but would only be annoying if it broke up during "...and the murderer IS!!!.....*static*". DVDs from home would be a good idea and you can also borrow DVDs from the office.

The owners of Sunny Point clearly take great pride in their property. I would highly recommend this property to those who enjoy the classic Muskoka experience.

3  Thank YYZ_TOGO
sunnypt, Owner at Sunny Point Resort, Cottages & Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2014

Thanks so much for the review. I really do appreciate your detail that you provide.
My chocolate lab Marley accompanies me always in the off season around the property and is in and out of the water with ease at all the docks. Knowing that a small dog has difficulty at Cottage 6 is useful for us to help guide guest decisions in the future.
Tree branches being submerged under the dock ladder is a concern to us and we were unaware of it. Paul removed them just hours after we read your comments. I have been in the water at Cottage 6 and used the ladder so I can only assume this is a recent occurrence. I only regret not knowing earlier about this as we could have removed it for you so you didn't need to buy water shoes!
Our Satellite TV is from Shaw and they recently did a site survey of our dishes to upgrade our entire resort to HD receivers. This is a no cost upgrade for us so the only delay is on the part of Shaw to finish the job. I regret that you had any interference in your viewing. This is a good reminder for me to remind them to get moving!
Sue supplies all of our cottages with quality pots, pans and dishes including a 9x13 baking pan and a cookie sheet. I know because it gets budgeted in and is expensive. I also know this because she tosses out pots and pans that I consider perfectly good! The prior guest must have accidentally removed the dish. We have 2 new pans in inventory and one will be in Ctg 6 pronto! Again, my real regret is that I was unaware that your pan was missing as I would have brought one over immediately.
Thank you for spending your vacation time and dollars at our place, thank you for pointing out some areas needing attention and also for recognizing how hard we work to make our place nice. I hope we see you again on another adventure.

Reviewed August 11, 2014

I stayed at Sunny Point Resort the first week in August and it was an absolutely wonderful. The moment you drive on to the property you know you are somewhere special.... it is quiet, peaceful and untouched yet you are only minutes from the 400 and 20 minutes from Parry Sound We were greeted by the owners Andy and Sue who are very friendly and accommodating. Our cabin was exquisite. First off it was very clean and well appointed, then secluded with a picturesque view of Otter lake, with your own private dock and canoe. You are surrounding by the beauty of nature every where you go. This resort offers rooms, cabins and a huge home for rent and also offers a beach, boating, swimming ,fishing, sports, recreation hall, hiking trails and much much more to accommodate all kinds of vacationers needs and wants for the perfect holiday. We met a couple on The Island Cruise in Parry Sound who had not been satisfied by their previous few holiday places and invited them to have a look at Sunny Point. They too were so impressed that they immediately booked a cabin for next year for their family.

Thank you Andy and Sue with sharing your dream ....it simply was the best experience ever!

Tammy H

6  Thank Tammy H

Hi Tammy,
Thanks for the review and for the referral to the couple you met on the Island Queen in Parry Sound. They did come her that day and book the Seguin 2 bedroom suite for a week next summer. Thanks to you! 12 years ago when I drop into Sunny Point for the first time I too was captivated by the entrance which I agree is special. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and hope we see you again soon.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

My boyfriend along with our dog rented one of the cottages here over the Canada Day long weekend. It was a Great time away, not too far from Toronto but far enough to really feel that you are getting away. Andy was so accommodating with our short notice/long weekend booking. The cottage we stay is was perfect, clean and most importantly right at the water. The private dock is KEY!! Great sun through out the day. My boyfriend and I took the canoe out on to Otter lake (naturally he did most of the paddling) it was so clean and warm (especially considering that it was only the beginning of July). What we both loved was the privacy and peace. I HIGHLY recommend Sunny Point. Thank you for a beautiful weekend.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Heather P

Heather,
Thanks for writing a review on TA. I was pleased to be able to rent you Cottage 6 on I believe a late cancellation. I know when someone is really enjoying themselves at their dock.... I don't see them the entire time they are here. lol. We met at check in and then again at check out! I agree about the dock at Ctg 6. It is among the largest docks and the cottage itself is only 20 feet from the back of the cottage to the water. For this reason, even though it is our smallest and oldest cottage, it remains very popular. I hope we can accommodate you again soon.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

My fiancee and I spent 4 amazing days at Sunny Point Resort this past weekend. We rented one of the cottages, which had everything you could want for a perfect weekend away. We really enjoyed how private and peaceful the property was. The swimming was great, and the cottage was perfectly clean. Andy and Sue are friendly, wonderful hosts. I can't say enough great things about the whole experience! We are already looking to return this summer, hopefully for a whole week this time. I highly recommend this resort - even though we didn't use the many amenities offered, there is so much to choose from and I believe all ages would be entertained!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Kristy932014

Kristy,
Thank you for writing a review on Trip Advisor. Sue, my better half, is in charge of the cleaning staff, and she makes sure all of us clean to her standard! Thanks for noticing. I agree completely about the swimming. I consider myself so lucky to be able to swim perhaps 100 times this summer with my chocolate lab pal Marley. Otter Lake is incredibly clean and weed free. I hope we have the opportunity to accommodate you again soon.

Reviewed June 11, 2014

I stayed at Sunny Point Resort this past weekend and I must say the website cannot possibly capture the beauty and ambience of the property. I was looking for a place not too far from the city where I could escape, relax and rejuvenate. Sunny Point Resort is that place and more. The lake is magnificent from land and canoe; which is included with the cottage rental. Andy and Susan are great hosts. The grounds and rentals are spotless; you can see the pride of ownership and feel the commitment to provide their guests the ultimate stay of enjoyment. There is plenty of privacy but yet the opportunity to be a part of a small community with other guests if you so desire in the common areas around the lake, bbq areas, tennis and basketball courts. We enjoyed a few games of pool and ping pong in the game room prior to grabbing a book from the library for some quite time on our private dock by the lake. We enjoyed a short ride into the quaint little town of Parry Sound where we took a stroll, visited some charming shops and had a lovely dinner. I will be returning again and again to Sunny Point Resort, as availability permits, to connect with nature and spirit.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank cindigordon

Cindi,
Thanks for the taking the time to write a review. Sue and I are very pleased that you have chosen us for your vacation time and that you not only have been back this summer but also are planning a trip with more of the family in October. We very much enjoy relationships that we develop with our frequent guests including yourself. See you on your next adventure!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Parry Sound
Super 8 Parry Sound
Super 8 Parry Sound
#13 of 19 in Parry Sound
Windermere House Resort & Hotel

Been to Sunny Point Resort, Cottages & Inn? Share your experiences!