“Very pleasant stay”

Parry Sound Inn and Suites
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Parry Sound
Reviewed April 26, 2010

When we arrived, the receptionist couldn't immediately find our on-line booking, so to make up for the delay, upgraded our booking to a suite, for no extra cost. A very nice touch!

The hotel is spotlessly clean, with all the amenities one could need for a one night stay. A breakfast, though simple, is provided in the morning.

All in all, a very nice stay.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CAROL B

Reviewed October 17, 2009

When I first arrived I had my spouse go up first while I grabbed more bags from the car. When I walked into the room I was shocked, it was tiny but compact, everything fit in place but there was no way more than 3 people would be comfortable in that room. Hence the maximum 2 people for the 1 double bed or was it a small queen? Apart from that I very much enjoyed our stay, it was clean, the staff was friendly and the cryptkeeper (the old lady was strange but she provided a good laugh). We had troubles getting into the hotel and after the 4th time swipping our guest card we went to ring the doorbell and the same time the door opened, so when we went to the elevator we saw the cryptkeeper and we apologized and said we were having troubles with the door and her response was "But you got in?" in a serious and annoyed voice. Well if we were at the elevator talking to you I would assume we got in! It was weird but funny. At checkout I was impressed with them asking me how my stay was, many hotels fail to ask this question. I would come back to this hotel as it is right off the highway, hospital and "downtown".

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WTEH
Reviewed October 7, 2009

There were no bedside lamps in the room just very bright fluorescent lights which could not be dimmed.There was no vanity in the bathroom so no place to put anything.the keyboard in the computer room needs to be replaced.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank oliphant71
Reviewed July 4, 2009

I spent my last night of a two week driving tour of Northwestern Ontario at the Microtel, and it was definitely the best of the ten motels/hotels I stayed at along the way, from Collingwood, to Tobermory (Chi-Cheemaun ferry) to Espanola...and west to the Manitoba border. I also stayed in Travelodge (ok), Comfort Inn (so-so) and Super 8 (ok). The Microtel was newer, cleaner, and had NO banging doors in the hallway as I found in most other similar estabishments. I always ask for the top floor of any place I go, so I did not have to work about noise from above, if there was any. Also my room was at the back, facing a wooded area.
I have NO clue what a few of the posters are talking about when they give a motel two stars just because the wireless internet does not work. Give it a rest, take a break and relax. Besides...the Microtel has a small private, enclosed room with a computer, printer, etc...all for FREE use!!! So what is the problem? I think some people have nothing to compare with....and are big babies, essentially, who think their mother should be there holding their hand. Yes, a table lamp by the bed would be nice for reading, and because all of the lighting is in the ceiling, it does reflect on the tv screen....I found I forgot about that after a short while. But the important stuff was the condition of everything....clean, wellkept, etc...and it had all of the normal amenities. Re the continental breakfast...again....some posters' comments show a lack of experience and trying other places. It is pretty standard for the industry...and as good as and better than most, in my experience.
I give them top marks....they let me check out late....almost 12:30pm...it was raining, and I was feeling lazy...so I just hung around. Re the Comfort Inn across the street, I drove around it, and left...it looked dingy and ratty, and not inviting. Of course, I didn't go inside, so I can't say...BUT compare that with the outside appearance of the Microtel building, there is NO comparison...the Microtel wins hands down. It has a very nice welcoming lobby, with tables and chairs..where you can sit anytime and have coffe, watch tv, read, whatever, if you don't want to stay in your room. There are also books provided in the small 'business room', with the computer and printer. They really have tried, and I think, they have succeeded in presenting a good product, at a fair price. MT

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Freedom56
Reviewed May 29, 2009

Internet didn't work in our room, so we were told we could use the lobby for internet, Then were told by an extremely unpleasant night auditor that we would have to move on. There was a convention using a common room, and she was also harassing them. (Apparently they are regulars, returning annually, but the way they were being treated, I have no Idea why) Might have been a nice hotel but the Night auditor was just scary to deal with. Funny how one person can really sour an experience. We'll keep driving next time.

• Stayed: May 2009
2  Thank rawhide2009
Reviewed February 14, 2009

Microtel is a very accurate desciption. Smallest hotel I’ve ever experienced. My compact “dorm” room had one bed with standard bedding. A mirrored headboard wall reflects the flourescent lights above. No fridge or microwave, but it does have a coffeemaker.

Bulky TV is perched on the clothes wardrobe; the only lights are on the ceiling. So as previously stated, all lights are all directly in your eyes when lying down. Cheap toiletries and ice bucket (no lid).

Heat/air below the bay window (with the bench and 2 drawers) is well-controlled by digital wall thermometer. Only blackout drapes on the window; no sheers. One of the smallest desks ever. Cheap and stained dining room style chair is at the desk. Not having a portable desk light is unusual; there's just a potlight above.

No problems with the free high speed internet - which requires no code - and there is a business centre by the front desk. No fitness, sauna or whirlpool. I could hear each footstep of the guest above - and metal in the ceiling also rattled with each of their steps.

Bathroom is very white and a normal size. Small vanity, but counter has stone-look and it is well lit. Small rack for towels. Curved shower rod. Around 10pm, I could not get anything better than warmish water for the tub/shower.

Easy-to-miss driveway sign (hint: pull into the Petrocan gas station with drive-thru Starbucks) Complementary breakfast is 6:30am-9:30am and only adequate. Just sort of tossed together. That's also where the ice machine and $1 canned pop machine are located. Five tables of 2, there's also a gas fireplace and TV in the lobby next to the breakfast area.

Pressed various buttons when exiting the hotel, but neither of the 2 sets of front doors would open.

Four floors; one elevator and at the highway interchange. Staff are not particularly friendly. I suspect the Comfort Inn across the street (next to McDonalds) is a better choice.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed December 2, 2008

I stayed at the Microtel last week at the recommendation of the company I was working for. Like one of the other contributors, I found the staff unfriendly and felt like I was interrupting whatever they were doing. I have never stayed in a more cheaply built hotel in my life! Sure it was clean, but by comparison, the Comfort Inn across the highway is a luxury resort.

The room was half the size of Comfort Inn...glasses and cups were all styrofoam, the only comfortable way to watch TV which was on top of my clothes cupboard was to lie on the bed. All the lights in the room are pot lights in the ceiling and no combination of switches eliminated bright ceiling lights shining in my eyes.

I think that Microtel should keep their chain in the US and not impose their quality on Canada.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
#5 of 19 in Parry Sound
Town & Country Motel
Town & Country Motel
#6 of 19 in Parry Sound

Been to Parry Sound Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!