“a guest's disaster” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Glenn-Burney Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Parry Sound
Glenn-Burney Lodge
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Parry Sound
guelph ontario
“a guest's disaster”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2010

1) almost to find,even with 2 GPSs 2)Advertises "hearty b'fast" restauant closed 3)cabin not'luxurious"-very basic-no place to hang clothes.Bath tub 3 ft long. 4) Front office did not open till 9am.Was told that "she" was tired had to work till 9pm previous pm.
All this for $190 per night.Had booked for 3 night's stay.Left after 1 night.
Highly NOT recommended.

1 Thank ruralpost

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2010

My husband and I were literally melting away from the heat wave in Toronto this past July, and we heard from a friend that there was this new boutique-style lodge in Georgian Bay. So we looked up the Glenn-Burney Lodge and instantly thought "weekend getaway!"

It was well worth the trip to Parry Sound. The staff were welcoming and very helpful, the food and wine were brilliant, and the scenery was absolutely breathtaking, it was hard to say goodbye. At least now we know where to go when we just want to kick back and relax in the enveloping smells of the gorgeous fir trees, the sounds of the water, and the loons at night. This is truly a "northern oasis".

It's a shame this place has to shut down for the winter, because I could see it being amazingly cozy and just as captivating of a place for all of the outdoor trails and local culture that the area provides. We will definitely book another weekend getaway to watch the fall colours in full bloom at the end of September.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank littlevices
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2010

I frequented Glenn Burney Lodge in June this year after friends of mine had commented how amazing their trip was the previous year. I was delighted with the beauty of the area and the tranquility I felt for my entire trip. The Lodge itself was picture perfect and the rooms, far more spacious and accomodating than I had expected. The scenery from the communal lounge area was gorgeous and could only be topped by the courteous and friendly staff who ensured our trip was outstanding.
The mini vacation was remarkable and was completed with the culinary excellence. All meals we experienced at Glenn Burney were incredible and mastered by the chefs from the Lodge. Our waitress always knew exactly which wines would fully compliment our meals and my friends and I were delighted by the knowledge we encountered.

I will fully recommend Glenn Burney Lodge to all of my colleagues and friends and I hope to be heading back their sometime in October.
Thank you to all the staff and management for making all my worries disappear for a few days and I'm looking forward to frequent Glenn Burney Lodge again for many getaways.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rich013
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2010

Having been here once before on a business related trip, I decided to once again make this my home base. The rooms are very comfortable, with wireless internet included in the price. I found the restaurant service to be excellent, with great wines available to accompany any selection. If sleep quality is what you're after, you'll never want to get out of these luxurious beds. The proprietor was kind enough to take myself and some other guests on a water tour of the area, and all of it's gorgeous surroundings. Very nice to unwind at the fire pit at the evenings conclusion as well. Next time, I amy even come just for pleasure.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank KarlDrums
Toronto Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2010

I was there in Summer 2010.

Positives: Parry Sound and the 30000 Islands of Georgian Bay is an incredible spot for nature-lovers. We stayed for a few nights at Glenn Burney Lodge. Could be a lovely spot perched on a hill. Beautiful sunsets. Adjacent to a marina, yet, not too noisy. No real beach to speak of. Small but cozy white rooms, wooden-floors. Flat screen TV, DVD and many channels. Nice friendly summer staff. Food was good (the choice for good food in Parry Sound is scarce: our favourite place was 10 min away: Log Cabin Inn). Lovely dining room and Sun room. Good selection of DVDs.

Negatives: Way understaffed, and the few there were very unexperienced, except for Lois. Biggest disappointment: rooms are 200$ per night and despite this steep cost for Parry Sound, there is NO daily cleaning of room whatsoever. No visit to your room, period. No emptying of garbage, no change of towels, no change of bed sheets, etc. Although "not included", I had to ask for a room clean up and they did it. The linen is all white and the cabins are in the wood... so you can imagine that it get dirty quickly. The toilet was still defective (we had to open up the top part to realign the 'rubber' after every flush - and I believe this has been an issue as per other older reviews). There is a small deck with table and chairs, yet, there were dirty and unusable. The workers were all summer workers and the owners were never present. Also, NO food is included in that 200$/night. No breakfast included.

I don't mind campiing... yet, if I will pay 200$ per night, I expect some room cleaning daily. Way overpriced as far as price/quality-service is concerned. If anything, I had a much better experience at Killarney Lodge, in Algonquin Park, cute and larger cabin, all 3 meals included, canoe included, 250$/day.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2010

My partner and I stayed at Glenn-Burney Lodge last weekend for 2 nights. It was exactly what we were looking for, somewhere we could relax and unwind and just get away from the city! The location is great, really close to Parry Sound and easy to get to. Our room was big, really clean with an ensuite washroom and a private balcony. They had a small private beach and dock with canoes, kayaks, fishing rods and sun loungers. I would highly recommend this place to anyone who wants to get their dose of nature without having to rough it!!

1 Thank carolineh_23
County Meath, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2010

We stayed here for three nights recently and really enjoyed it. It's peaceful (though apparently we had just missed the civic holiday rush) and really nicely laid out with its own beach and marina. We used the kayaks and canoes there and saw some cool wildlife up in the marshes. There was a great looking fire pit and outdoor oven outside our cabin but neither was in use while we were there.

We stayed in a Queen Lodge Room which was great, it had everything - very comfy bed, microwave, fridge, flat screen tv and a nice porch out back which was covered in so we didn't get eaten by mosquitoes. The whole place has been renovated recently but still feels quite rustic. The only thing i would say about the room is that it wasn't attended to by house-keeping each day. Our bin was pretty full by the end of our stay and we had run out of tea/coffee. We had been told on arrival that they don't change the towels each day which was fine with us. I'm sure if we had asked for the bin etc to be attended to it would have been no problem.

We only ate in the restaurant one night and we thought the food was delicious. We both had soup starters and duck for main course. We also had a good bottle of wine which was really nice too. We feel that they should really advertise the restaurant a bit more locally. It was quiet the night we ate there (there were three other groups eating) even though it was the last night of a civic holiday weekend. The food is really good, as are the staff, and its a fab location yet there's only the faintest mention of a restaurant on the sign at the entrance and no mention of it anywhere on Tripadvisor or anywhere else online. Parry Sound is certainly not the gourmet capital of Ontario (there are very few places to eat and the ones that are there are very casual, in fact we couldn't find anywhere else to get a fancy meal) so i reckon if word got out that the food was good here at Glenn Burney they could do very well.

Lois was lovely to deal with when booking and she was equally friendly in person, she gave us some great recommendations for the Parry Sound area and some tips for our next destination. It seems like they have a small team of employees there and they all seemed very helpful.

I'd recommend this as a nice stopover for a few day's peace, though the free wi-fi is certainly a nice addition too!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
#2 of 3 in Port Carling
Carriage Ridge Resort
Carriage Ridge Resort
#10 of 19 in Barrie

Been to Glenn-Burney Lodge? Share your experiences!