“Resplendent!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Glenn-Burney Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Parry Sound
Glenn-Burney Lodge
Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Parry Sound
London, United Kingdom
“Resplendent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed at Glenn Burney Lodge for three days in the middle of last week. When we first arrived, we were greeted by Florrie who made us feel welcome in the Canadian North. We are from the UK and were visiting relatives near Toronto Canada and were looking to see a bit of the Canadian countryside before returning. Let me tell you, this is the real deal! The grounds are beautifully maintained but they don't betray the essence of this rugged rural terrain. The setting is a mix of steep granite cliffs and sturdy swept pines set on the channel to a huge body of fresh water called Georgian Bay. (Or just "The Bay" to the locals.)

During our stay we were able to get out for a cruise to see the bay itself and surrounding channels. We also took out a canoe (canoes and kayaks are included in the room charge) for a paddle up a nearby river. We didn't do any hiking but apparently there are plenty of trails for those so inclined.

But the best part of the stay was the three nights of dining. We're big fine dining fans and the restaurant is superb. There's some delicious sounding meat selections but we're big seafood lovers and went for the surf selections all three nights. The house smoked Indian Candy is something I've never tried. It's served with creme fraiche on bibb lettuce. The local freshwater fish selections were prepared a number of ways and so fresh they probably could be eaten as sushi!

All in all, a wonderful cap to our trip to Canada. We'll be back this way in two years and hope to book it for a stay with our relatives.

Room Tip: The staff seem to bend over backwards to please and seem to welcome special requests. I suggest not...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Jodi S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

We stayed at Glenn Burney July 17th- 20th. First of all, the staff was very helpful and friendly. Dinner in the dining room was absolutely spectacular. However, we would not go back for a few reasons. We brought 2 seniors with us and the climb to the dock bar is an incredibly long climb. There is virtually no beach. Maybe 15 feet of sand, pictures on the web must have been taken prior to the addition of the dock bar, earlier this month. If you wanted to swim you would be swimming through the boats docked at the marina. Menu at the dock bar is limited to approximately 5 items and the dining room is not open on Tuesdays. There is really nothing to do at this lodge.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Anna C
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

My husband and I stayed here one night, on our way to our cottage. (It's a 7hr drive from our home to our cottage, and we almost always do it in one shot. But we decided to try leaving the night before and staying at a hotel about half way, so we'd arrive sooner the next morning, rested and relaxed.)

We certainly weren't interested in a low-budget, chain motel/hotel, with their floral polyester bedspreads, tiny rooms, and lack of anything special. Based on the good reviews, and decent-looking photographs, I selected this hotel for our little, overnight experiment.

What a waste of time.

It's difficult to write an fair review, since this place is meant to be rustic, and is a lodge, far away from any metropolitan area. Maybe they don't have enough guests willing to pay the kind of price that would allow for better amenities? Maybe they're working towards that? Maybe this is the best they can do? Who knows? For my part, I always look for 5-star (or better), when I stay at hotels, and am a bit disappointed when that's not available. I knew this wouldn't be grand, but it was disappointing, all the same. I had the impression this was one of the better hotels in the area, and my experience there left me questioning if there are any "decent" hotels in this region, at all.

I requested the best available room and, if memory serves me, that was around $160/night or so. What we got was a small, somewhat updated room with a queen sized (!!!) bed, in a cabin-like building, with a bathroom straight out of the 60s (complete with "debris" in the tub), and a television that didn't work. (We watched a bit of television on my iPad, instead.)

There was nothing really "wrong" with the room. It just wasn't very nice. The photographs make it look better than it is.

I can imagine that if your only expectation is a room with a bed, running water, and no pests, then you will find that here. If you're city-bound, and have to stay at a place like this to experience nature, then you may also find this woodsy place charming.

For me, I prefer luxury and amenities. I happily pay for that. But it is seemingly hard to find in this region (besides maybe Muskoka). What we were looking for was a "nice" experience...to make it worth the money and effort, on the way to our own cottage. This place simply had nothing to entice us back.

If the room, especially the bathroom, were a bit nicer, I would give it a 3 out of 5.

Make no mistake. This is not a luxurious, little lodge in the woods. It's marginally better than any ol' roadside motel....maybe better views.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jody A
Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

To start off, I was not in any way disappointed with the room or the service at Glenn-Burney. The food from the kitchen was great and the staff were friendly and helpful. It just so happened that when my wife and I visited the lodge, there were just a lot of things happening.

On the one hand, there was a lot of construction happening on the beach. The dock was being lengthened and a bar was being built. It lent to the hope that this place would one day be great, but we were unable to experience much of the lakeside atmosphere. Thankfully the, Parry Sound is not too far away, and being familiar with the town, my wife and I got to visit some shops that we frequent often.

On the other hand, the room was fantastic. It had a rustic chic look that was modern and comfortable. Except for the old advertisement poster for Parry Sound's Festival of the Sound that seemed at odds with the rest of the decor, is was well put together. Especially the screened in balcony where we ate breakfast and had coffee.

So, the combination of great food (which I reviewed elsewhere), great views, a great room, and the expectation of a great waterfront when construction is completed, Glenn-Burney Lodge offers the total package in for a relaxing retreat. I would definitely visit again!

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 2100DAN
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

My stay was lovely, thanks in large part to Lois at the front desk, who was amazing.

Unfortunately, the kitchen was closed on the night I was there; disappointing as I had heard so much about the great restaurant. The restaurant also opened late in the morning (8:30), which was too late for me, so Lois kindly offered to bring food for me and leave it in the fridge, which was much appreciated.

The room was lovely - like a very nice cottage. There is lots of rustic charm, and it was very relaxing. I only wish my stay was longer so I could have enjoyed the screened-in porch.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank BCBusinessTraveller2
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

When we arrived at Glenn Burney Lodge, we were greeted by lovely staff that were happy to help with our every need. We sat down for dinner in the spectacular dining room with a lovely view of Georgian Bay. The dining room is adorned with a large totem pole and unique art work. Plus the walls were decorated with vintage guitars, which was a lovely touch. Our food was absoloutly delicious and we ate in the lodge every night. The menu ranged from house smoked ribs to Georgian Bay trout and pickerel. This was our first time here and the quality of the food was amazing, and the staff was very helpful with reccomending wines to accompany our meal choices from their extensive wine list. Our room was clean, comfortable, and the duvets were divine. Every night in front of the lodge, there was a large bonfire lit and one night we watched a movie in the screened in porch on a large projector and screen. I will definitely be back and i have reccomended it to all of my friends!

Room Tip: the lodge offers queen rooms, double bed rooms, and two cabins with two bedrooms.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
#2 of 3 in Port Carling
Carriage Ridge Resort
Carriage Ridge Resort
#10 of 19 in Barrie

Been to Glenn-Burney Lodge? Share your experiences!