Oastler Lake Provincial Park
Review Highlights
Beautiful park, lots of lake-side sites. Loud & frequent train.

Reviewed October 1, 2018
Scott S
Bucket List: Visit every Provincial Park in Ontario

Reviewed November 6, 2017
kah9607
Alliston, Canada

All reviews provincial park staying longer stayed here campsite lakeside trailer ontario amenities
Reviewed October 1, 2018

I was pleasantly surprised there were still lake-side campsites available on short notice. Although I was a little concerned about the train noise I tend to sleep soundly and can fall asleep again quickly after briefly waking so I wasn't too worried. While the trains are loud and do pass several times through the night, we had a great time and will go back.

My son & I didn't have much chance to check out the full park but enjoyed fishing right from our campsite on the water and both wished we'd brought the canoe. We could have rented one if we were staying longer.

The sites we saw were not overly private but well treed with mature pine and some deciduous. sites looking over the lake would be fantastic for viewing & photographing fall colour!

We're planning to return next summer, bringing the canoe & swim suits!

1  Thank Scott S
Reviewed August 2, 2018

We recently found Oastler Lake on our way up to Grundy Provincial Park (and it was closed due to devastating forest fires). We have been camping annually for 5 years now with 2 other families. From the moment we arrived at Oastler Lake the 3 Wardens/Rangers on duty harrassed our families daily numerous times a day. Our kids were too loud in the water. We were unable to play badminton and were told to remove our equipment. We had to move our cars daily due to a strict one car only rule. What happened to customer service?? They terrified our children as we didn't know what they were going to complain about next. It was unbelievable and a terrible holiday for all 3 families. I am requesting a refund and will be reporting these wardens to ontario parks. They were passive aggressive and on power trips for no reason. Not acceptable. Just to mention a train does go through the park at all hours of the night and this was tolerable the wardens weren't!! So not acceptable. Again DO not visit here!!

4  Thank Anita R
Reviewed July 8, 2018

Want to escape the hustle and bustle of the city? Head to Oastler Lake in Parry Sound.
It’s a slice of Paradise! My son was camping there on the long weekend. We joined him for a day. He had a lakeside campsite...so serene! We went to the beach and swam in the pristine waters. Such a beautiful setting!

Reviewed January 26, 2018

I decided to spend one night in this park because I was too tired to continue driving to Toronto. The park was almost deserted, the office was closed and I quickly drove to campsite number 132, where we had stayed once.

Later I drove to the park’s office and made a call from the pay phone outside. Then for the first time I heard the train. OMG, it was so noisy! Without any exaggeration, I thought the train would suddenly materialize on the road and run me over, like in some horror movies! I had to postpone the call because it was impossible to hear anything. Then I drove back to the campsite and spent some time reading and sipping wine. Several times I heard the trains (there were two railway tracks very close to the park, one for eastbound, the other one for westbound trains). Whenever a train approached, first I heard the train whistle blowing, it became lauder and lauder and finally I could hear the rhythmic sounds of the train, so acute that sometimes I had a feeling that they were crisscrossing the park, just next to my tent! I did manage to fall asleep after 1:00 a.m., yet at least once during the night I was awakened by the train. Just before 6:00 a.m. I woke up due to shrieking train whistles—falling back asleep was pointless, as in no time I heard another train and yet another.

I had stayed in this park several times before and honestly, I had no idea why those trains had not bothered me then! I quickly packed up the tent—which was a good idea as it started raining a little—and left the park just after 7:00 am.

I would give the park from 3.5 to 4 stars if it were not for the trains.

1  Thank Canadian_Guy1000
Reviewed November 27, 2017

This is a lovely campground on a lovely lake. We camped there on a Sunday, Monday, leaving Tuesday. The trains ran all night long on Sunday in both directions and they blew their horn each time - long and loud. On Monday night it seemed like they stopped from 11pm. until 4 a.m. and then they started up again. Doubtful we will every return as it was just not possible to get any sleep. Also there was no hot water in the showers so if you didn't have an RV with your own shower you were out of luck.

3  Thank dca479
Reviewed November 6, 2017

This one was a very pleasant surprise. The sites here are awesome. We took pictures of our favoruites which are along the lake. Some are drive in ones and some are walk in ones. We did check out the beach area but did not go for a swim as it was early morning on Oct 1 and still quite cold. We hope to come back here and camp.

2  Thank kah9607
Reviewed September 5, 2017 via mobile

I'd have to say overall, it was a great trip but only because my friends and I made it fun. The train was the biggest issue, and yes I know there are warnings posted about this- but you wouldn't think it would go alllllllll night and blare it's horn a million times! Also, the bathrooms were the absolute worst I have ever been in. They were dirty, super smelly, and had no lights (how do you see in the dark?!) We stayed at the point campground, which was nice other than being SUPER wide open and SUPER close to the next camp site next to you. I don't think we would go back, maybe this is better for families or people who don't mind really "roughing" it for a few days.

2  Thank cvanberk
Reviewed August 12, 2017 via mobile

We stayed here with our RV and had a good pitch with elec and water not far from water. Lovely lake to swim and fish, average washrooms (showers could do with revamping). No shop to speak of at all but only 5 minutes drive from Parry Sound which has lots of amenities (including a laundromat!).

4  Thank My2cents-adviser
Reviewed July 22, 2017 via mobile

Oastler Lake Provincial Park offers travellers with a great stop for tenting and travel trailers. Also a very nice spot to stop for a picnic or walk with family, friends or solo while travelling through the Parry Sound area. Staff are quite friendly, informative and accommodating.

1  Thank Bettyann55
Reviewed June 25, 2017

Aside from the obvious pluses of Muskoka, the lake and canoe rental, here are the minuses:
• Small park, not much to do or places to hike.
• Camp store also pretty small. Warning: NO ICE CREAM!
• You might run into a water snake.
• THAT TRAIN! If something can whip you out of your camping chill is a loud, long, massive train that goes near the camp several times a day (and night).
When it came at 3am I was sure it was going through my tent. What a night!

3  Thank DukeOfSpook