“READ BEFORE GOING!!!”

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Pembroke
haliburton
“READ BEFORE GOING!!!”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I booked two nights at the "best" western and didn't stay the night. there was one young woman working the front desk and although it was not her fault check-in took waaay too long. the lobby reeked of chlorine and the entire hotel was out of the 1800's. Room key didn't work, the basement stunk of mould (obvious water damage), no elevator to the basement rooms...the list goes on. the gym was great and the parking lot had been recently done. the one surprising thing was that within the hour i was there i could tell that the staff genuinely cared, housekeepers were great and the front desk did the best they could. would not recommend going there. they need a serious wake-up call.

Room Tip: travelodge on the main street is a beautiful hotel marble floors, great restaurant, pool, sauna, and...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Lorraine P, General Manager at Best Western Pembroke Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind words regarding the staff. All the staff try to provide the best customer care they are able to provide, and I am ver pleased that this shined throught in the short time you were with us. As you noticed, we are working on a complete renovation to the hotel, with the gym now almost complete and the parking lot done. The lobby will be started shorlty. With the changes planned with the lobby and pool area, we are hopeful this will elimiate the chlorine smell in the lobby. I am sorry to hear you did not stay as our guest, but I invite you to come back and see the impovements as we move forward. I will be sure to pass your comments onto the team.
Lorraine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Korean first
Sorrento, Italy
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We booked the hotel through a toll free 1800 # and requested a queensized bed. The room was smelly: musty and dank as we were placed in the BASEMENT of the hotel. The room felt damp, unwelcoming and appeared to be forgotten in time. Everything from the sagging and stained couch to the worn carpet created an atmosphere of neglect. There were earwigs in the window well and hallway as well as in the change rooms at the pool. The restaurant and 'lounge' was styled with mismatched decor complete with lattice and fake potted plants. The food was non descript and coffee, terrible. Such a disappointment considering the price of 190.00 a night! I would rather drive through the night than stop at this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write. I am slightly confused, and was hoping you might call the hotel directly, as I think you may have confused some parts of our hotel with another. Your response states you stayed in October of 2011, many things have changed since then. But we don't have change rooms in our pool area. The onsite restaurant and lounge have plants, but they are real plants and there is no lattice work in the building. Our restaurant has many positive comments on their food in general. We do have rooms on a lower level, that could have been damp, but our rates for those rooms are well below the $150.00 mark currently. We do acknowledge that the hotel is currenly outdated, and we are working on a full redesign. Please feel free to contact me direcly so we can talk about this more.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Spent two days here as part of a driving holiday. The room was good and clean with comfortable beds.
The restaurant provided a good selection on menu for breakfast and dinner. The staff were friendly and helpful.
The car park was in the middle of extensive work to extend and resurface but this did not disturb us and there was adequate parking available.
The location was excellent for access to Highways and the town.
A good reasonably priced hotel

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Lorraine P, General Manager at Best Western Pembroke Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are very pleased that the work on the parking area is now completed. We plan to do some work in the fall in the interior of the hotel. I look foward to your return, and your thoughts on the changes we will have made.
Ontario
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Stayed here for one night in August.
This hotel is close to Hwy 17 with a truck stop resturant across the road. There are no resturants or stores in the area. It is a 10 min drive into downtown Pembroke. Depending on time of day and day of the week you head into town you may find everything closed, like we diid. ( includes resturants; 6pm on a Monday)
Room was okay, on third floor, tired looking; large with 2 sinks, fridge and microwave. The hotel has a pool and fitness centre which we did not use.
Staff are friendly and helpful.
Downside to this hotel; As you walk into the hotel lobby all you can smell is the chlorine from the pool. Our room faced the pool; had sliding glass door which opened onto a balcony which over looked the pool., meaning no privacy. There is no window in the room, so the only light you got was from the pool area. The room smelled of chloine, was hot and very stuffy, making it uncomfortable.
Pool opens early in the morning,( I believe 7am) making it noisey if you wish to sleep late.
Resturant- was provided with a coupon for free breakfast or $6.00 of menu price. Free breakfast is 2 eggs and toast, tea or coffee, not much of a choice. If hotel is going ot off a free breakfast at least give a choice.
Direction to hotel listed on their website not accurate if you are coming from Toronto. It says if coming from the west follow Hwy 60 to 41 but Hwy 60 does not come anywhere near the 401. Thank goodness we picked up on this earlier enough to get the right directions. Hotel needs to indicate on website better directions.
For a Best Western I am truley disappointed in this hotel. This is not up to their standards. It is differently not worth what they charge.
I would stay there again if it was only for 1 night; but would ask for a room away from the pool.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Lorraine P, General Manager at Best Western Pembroke Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear catOntario,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, the feedback from our guests in invaluable information we use to improve our services. We will most certainly look into the directions on the website, and have those directions made more clearly, again thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are currently working on several different plans and upgrades to our facilities, and will take your comments into consideration. I hope you will be able to visit us again, hopefully you will have more time to enjoy our indoor pool and our 6000 sq' full service fitness centre. I look forward to hearing how you like the changes as they are completed.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 19, 2012

i have stayed at this hotel twice. As a business traveller i need a reliable internet service, but the internet was so slow that i could not use my computer at all. In the so-called "Business Centre" in the main Lobby i found a note on each of the 2 computers that warned the user that they malfunction and suddenly cut the user off in the middle of an email. The room key did not work and every time i wanted to go to my room i had to take one of the hotel staff with me to open the door.

The rooms have cheap and horribly noisy heating/cooling units that sound like a tank is passing by. If you turn them off just so that you can actually sleep, then the room gets too hot or too cold and you cannot even open a window.The bathroom fan was a cheapy that rattled or maybe it was broken. I reported it to staff and they did not know which was the case, didn't seem to care much either. The restaurant is ok but relatively expensive. The front door of thehotel has no ramp for wheeling your suitcase in, a sign asks you to use the side door, when i went to the side door,i found there was no ramp there either. When i mentioned this to the staff at the front desk they shrugged and told me they are buildinga ramp at the back door but have not bothered updating their signage. Why should clients who need a ramp have to go all the way to the back door of the hotel ? To top it off the hotel is in the midle of nowhere, there are no stores or amenities anywhere in sight. For all that it is qute pricey.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Lorraine P, General Manager at Best Western Pembroke Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear Guest.
Thank you for taking the time to review out hotel. As a business traveller, we understand the growing dependance of access to the internet. We are working on bringing fibre optics to the hotel for the fall. We do currently have high speed internet in all our rooms via a hard wired internet cable. When installing this several years ago, this was the preferred choice due to the increased securtiy of hard wire over wireless. We are working on improvements to this service, as well as many others. Our wheelchair access is at the side of the hotel, we have just undergone a complete repaving of the back and side parking lot as well as the wheelchair ramp. Yes, our location is just off the main highway, we have a full service Restaurant, a full service fitness centre on site, as well as a full service truck stop with restaurant and convenience store across the street. I would be very interested in hearing, as a business traveler, what time of business or store would you like to see close to a hotel? We may be able to make suggestions to future developers! Please feel free to call me and we can discuss this futher. You can reach me at 613-735-2267. I look forward to hearing from you.
Many thanks,
Geraldton, Canada
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I stayed for a night in late July for work. I was upgraded to a "fireplace suite" due to my Best Western status card. The room was very clean and spacious, though the decor was out-dated. The hotel itself looks OK - the basement rooms should be avoided as you can tell that they would be quite damp. I didn't try the restaurant or the pool but yes, when you walk into the large lobby you do smell the pool right away. I didn't notice once I was in the hallway, though. Staff were nice enough.
A downside was the price - this hotel is not worth the amount that they charged, (I think it was $140/night) but I guess it's all about supply and demand.
If you are staying the night ensure you get an above-ground room.

Room Tip: Above-ground rooms!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Lorraine P, General Manager at Best Western Pembroke Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. The feedback we receive from our guests is very valuable information that my staff and I use to do everything we can to create an enjoyable experience for all our guests. We are working on renovations, to the entire hotel. We have also had consultations on the pool area, and are working on some recommendations to decrease the pool smell in the lobby. We welcome you to visit us again, and we look forward to hearing your comments on our on going improvements.
North Bay, Canada
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Last weekend while traveling to attend a family funeral, my fiancee was too tired to drive any further, so with high expectations we checked in to the Best Western. Needless to say that within 5 minutes of walking into our room we were at the front desk asking for a refund. The room was in the basement, beyond outdated and extremely filthy. It stunk of mold and mildew. Had we stayed, we would have feared bedbugs and had we showered we would have wanted to follow up with bleach. Also, the fact that the door near our room was not secured with key-card access and was instead propped open by a delineator was a huge concern. It was worth driving the extra hour to sleep on an air mattress instead. I wouldn't recommend these accommodations to my worst enemy.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sarah F
Dear Sarah,
First let me offer our sincere sympathies on the loss of your loved one. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I acknowledge that the hotel is outdated, and we do have plans for renovations. But outdated is very different than dirty, and I would appreciate talking to you about your experience so we may investigate this and make improvements where needed. As you probably noticed the entire back parking lot is undergoing improvements, which is how the mud and dirt from the back area is tracked into the hotel. It is being paved today. The windows were dirty from a heavy rainfall onto the fresh dirt. We do a walk around and lock up at 10pm, but you had already left by then. Again, your feedback is very much appreciated and I can assure you that my staff and I use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests, I look forward to hearing from you.
Lorraine
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pembroke
Holiday Inn Express Pembroke
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#1 of 2 in Petawawa
Petawawa River Inn & Suites

Been to Best Western Pembroke Inn & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!