“The reviews are right”

The HOST
Ranked #12 of 446 Restaurants in Richmond Hill
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Buffet, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Toronto, Canada
“The reviews are right”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I read the reviews but my daughter wanted us to go to this restaurant.
We walked in and we were greeted in a few minutes. He asked if we had a reservation.
We said no and he repeated back "So no reservation?" I said no.
He showed us to a table (The restaurant was less than half full However 2hrs later it was pretty full! Friday night).
The waiter was a little abrupt but I think he was serving too many tables.
The table consisted of myself, my 19yr old daughter and 2 minors.
He came by a few times pushing drinks. Having read the other reviews I found this rather amusing.
We ordered 2 mango drinks(non alcohol), an appetizer plate, 3 main dishes, 2 white rice and nan bread.
45min go by and no food or mango drinks.
We finally flag down the waiter and asked about the drinks. He said we ordered mango dip that goes with the meal. We told him we didn't want that we wanted the drinks.
The arrived a few minutes later.
The appetizer platter came out 1hr and 10min from when we arrived.
The platter was quite good (We were pretty hungry by now).
Someone was delivering food and about 20min. later he motioned to us that he was bringing food to us.
He drops off a dish (Green balls) and leaves right away. I said I don't think that's ours. So my daughter pokes it with a fork thinking it might be the fish dish. It wasn't so we flag down the person who brought the dish.
He says "are you sure you didn't order this?" We said yes.
He took it back, came out of the kitchen 2min later and dropped the same dish at the table across from us (Yes it was definitely the same plate my daughter stuck her fork into).
The food finally arrived and the waiter brought over the 2 mango dips. We told him we cancelled those. He said he would leave one no charge. We didn't touch it.
The food was very good.
The water person gave great service keeping our glasses filled continuously.
The person who cleared the table and took the food we were taking with us. When he returned he told us he put some extra white rice in the bag. Very nice!!!
From the point I flagged down the waiter for the bill it took about 20min.
The bill arrived and I was charged for the 2 Mango dips and the Mango drinks were double the price on the menu. (Total $11.00 overcharged). My daughter asked if I was going to tell him.
I said no. We waited 20min for the bill and we were over 2hrs in the restaurant so I paid my bill and left.
Bottom line the food is good.
The service is so bad that it was not a good experience.
They are very disorganized and should consider hiring more staff.
I would not go back just for the service.
The food is equivalent to other Indian restaurant I have been to.
The service at the other ones are soooooo much better.

The bill for the 4 of us was $110.00 not including tip.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank wasntme58

Maple, Ontario, Canada
“Fantastic experience and a fresh Jalebi”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

My wife kept telling me we should try this place and I am glad I finally decided to give it a go.

From the delicious assortment of buffet items, to the friendly staff and fantastic decor - you can't go wrong in a restaurant choice.

The pricing is reasonable and the fresh Jalebi station (supposedly only on the weekend) was an outstanding addition.

Not sure on where to eat one night - give this restaurant a try!

• Visited November 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Most Arrogant Restaurant”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Had made an online reservation for dinner for 4 for a Friday evening. As pointed out by many before, there was nobody there to greet you and show your table. A very rude guy shows up after about 7-8 mns and says that online reservations are only accepted if they have been made 24 hrs ahead. We showed him the acknowledgment and the confirmation we have received for our booking. But he was very reluctant to accept it quoting some vague 24hr policy. He went on to say that he will may consider finding a table for us if we agree to wait.

Thar was enough of drama for one evening. This is probably one of the most expensive Indian restaurant in town and this guy wants you to think he is doing you a favour by allotting a table. We decided to walk out and try 'Bombay Bhel' , Indian restaurant right across this one. A word of caution for Host customers, be prepared for inconsistent service from rude staff and extremely expensive menu. I don't mind paying for service but definitely not arrogant and rude service. Would strongly suggest stay away!!

What a difference. The service was prompt and courteous and the food was genuinely good. We were so happy that we had decided to walk out of the 'Host' and enjoy our dinner at 'Bombay Bhel'. Next time we decide on Indian dinner it will definitely be the . Bombay Bhel'.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank kolkatacool
Montreal
“Fine cuisine + Terrible Service = Bad Experience”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

What I liked:
- The lamb dish was very well seasoned and a favourite amongst my group. I could have eatten the whole bowl with Naan bread.
- Very Nice pakora platter - for a group of 5 - two platters are better
- If you’re not a spicy food person – the mango lassi drink helps calm the burning tongue
- Very nice décor and fairly good ventilation compared to some other places where this is grilled food.
- Good background music – didn’t need to strain to hear my friends

What I didn’t like:
- The tandoori chicken seem a bit dry
- you had to order the rice and naan separately from the entrees
- Extremely bad service from the waiter. At first we thought he was just pushy – trying to insist that we order more food such as rice. He asked us if we wanted more rice and naan bread three times while making the order until he realized we were getting annoyed.
- However, the straw the broke his tip was when he came over to our table and though he saw we didn't finish eating half the food on the table said – I can see you’re shy and cannot eat anymore. I’ll wrap it up for you. I know I should have said something but I was honestly in shocked. We all commented around the table that the restaurant was only 25% full and had plenty of seating – so what was the point of rushing us out and so rudely. When he found out we were annoyed since I’m sure he heard the comments - then he tried to appease us with a nice fakeness – asking us about dessert and suggesting chai tea. No one had any interest in spending any more money on this place. We sat there and talked for a whole hour after he had come back with our “doggie” bag and then paid the bill and left. The restaurant was still only 25% full. This is just outrageously bad service and the food wasn’t that good – to warrant coming back. The girl who recommended the place felt bad - she usually comes to the lunch time buffet that is supposed to be good.
- While, the underground parking at the hotel complex is free, the roof is extremely low. I know the roof isn’t covered in asbestos, but driving into the garage – that is what it looks like. There are also garbage and debris hanging from the ceiling – not a very nice sight.

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank MTLtravelfun
Vaughan, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My favourite,by far!”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I have been to many Indian restaurants, this is my favourite by far! Great value, sensational flavour.The spicy green chicken tikka is superb and the fresh garlic nan compliments. The service was great - we had an ex soccer star looking after us - chatty without being pushy.
Going back again to try weekend brunch. I heard they offer several live stations. Great place.

• Visited April 2013