“Wonderful environment and great steaks”

The Octagon Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 458 Restaurants in Richmond Hill
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I had dinner this evening with 3 business colleagues from Toronto at the Octagon. The building is really an Octagon and full of high quality wood paneling (Walnut, Mahagony, and even light ton Olive veneers with significant marbeling) with stain glass, nice paintings to that create a very warm and "clubby" atmosphere. The waiters are formally attired and provide outstanding service. The steaks were generous cuts, very tender, and prepared perfectly. The restaurant is also know for its Caesar Salad which is prepared at the table and was wonderful. The wine selection was very broad ranging from reasonably priced wines (50-75/bottle) to very expensive for the reserve list. The only portion of the meal that was less than stellar were the side dishes, which by comparison were small and very average. If not for the sides, I would have given the top rating.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I was told if I wanted a good steak, visit the Octagon! My first concern, before leaving Florida, was the fact that the website contains a statement about a dress code. I would not be travelling this time with business clothing – rather a nice pair of jeans and a polo shirt. I called before I left the states to confirm this dress code and was told …”don’t worry, just come on in.”

Reservations made for 8 PM on a Thursday night – we arrived a bit early, greeted and seated immediately. The décor and cleanliness was the first thing to impress me. The inside just looks “rich” and I loved it. My eyes travelled around from the moment we walked in the front door. Our host gave us a seat – and again to my surprise, the server was immediately at the table, ensuring our comfort and taking drink orders.

I had Lobster Bisque for an appetizer – along with the complimentary relish tray and bread (both very tasty). The Bisque was good, not quite outstanding because of a hint of “burnt flavor”, but close. Both of us ordered the Filet (8-ounce version) with garlic mashed potatoes. Both were cooked, absolutely, positively, to perfection and tender enough that they really didn’t need to provide a steak knife.

After this meal, I was too full to get desert but I believe if I had, I most certainly would have enjoyed it. This place is on a par with the likes of Ruth’s Chris (in some cities), or Morton’s – but I think maybe better.

Certainly on the next trip to Toronto – I’ll do this one again. I cannot think of a single thing negative to say about the quality of this establishment. If you order the Filet Mignon, you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

The steaks are huge and the quality and taste is excellent! Great for special occasions or if you just want a good steak. Expensive, but worth it.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

For some reason or other, I had never eaten at this restaurant despite the fact that I even worked across the road 20 years ago. Well, we finally went with friends & we were duly impressed. It is standard steakhouse fare although the free appetizer tray is a nice twist. The steaks were excellent & all were properly cooked. One of our group had the sole which got similar raves. All in all a good meal.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

Was there for my anniversary a few nights ago. Food was great as usual. Didn't have an appetizer or desert because the steak was so big and this was midweek. (the weekend would be different)