“Great flavors”

Restoran Malaysia
Ranked #14 of 460 Restaurants in Richmond Hill
Cuisines: Malaysian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Welcome to Restoran Malaysia featuring Halal authentic Malaysian cuisine.Have a taste of our famous curry and roti. Enjoy a refreshing "teh tarik". Our menu features sensational dishes from curries to hot and spicy, as well as satays and Malay style foods.Immerse yourself to a heightened dining experience in our newly renovated dining area. We are located at the south east corner of Bayview Avenue and Major Mackenzie Drive in Richmond Hill, Ontario. Come and experience Malaysia.
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

We got here at around 4pm on a Saturday. The restaurant wasn't crowded and we were seated very quickly. We ordered the roti canai with beef curry as the appetizer... Simply superb! The beef was tender and the curry was very flavourful. For the main course we ordered pomfret in a spicy sauce and fish filet in a basil sauce. This is the only area where I'm docking a point - the server asked us if we wanted rice... Which is typically complimentary. The main course arrived and we were blown away by the HUGE portions. The pomfret was very well done... And the sauce was a little sweet with a hot aftertaste. The basil curry was mild, but flavourful. The service was prompt and friendly. Overall, good place to go... Even if its a little out of our way

Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is a restaurant you want to take your out of town friends to, so that they can rave about how good the food was and want to come back for another visit. I agree that they do have a long wait time when the restaurant is busy, so I suggest to arrive just before dinner time is going to pick up.

Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

Restauran Malaysia

Restoran Malaysia (815 Major Mackenzie Dr E, Richmond Hill)

As far as I am concerned, Restauran Malaysia is arguably the best Singaporian/Malaysian food restaurant in the Greater Toronto Area --offering a wide variety of favourites such as Char Kway Teow, nasi lemak, Roti Canai. Teh Tarik. Rendang Daging. Crispy Ayam Goreng. Slurpy Laksa. Chewy Bakso Ikan.
The ambiance and service are both very good. The overall taste of the food lacks a little in complexity- but then having lived in Asia for 15 years, my expectations remain a bit on the high side. The spicy foods are just spicy, and the salty foods are just salty. Most likely the kitchen has toned things down for Western tastes. The nasi lemak which is one of the best in town.
Restoran Malaysia has the kind of menu that makes me nostalgic for Asia. Every page on the menu -and there are many- have several of my favourite dishes. But who can eat all of it in one sitting. Still, I usually take a doggy bag home with enough food for another meal.
Some recommendations are Indonesian Fried Rice, Medan Fried Chicken, Rendang Daging, Roti Canai, Kuay Teow and some Tehs and Kopis.
Roti Canai (pronounced "chanai") are soft flatbreads served with a spicy curry, served in stalls throughout Malaysia, and eaten throughout the day - often at the extreme ends, early in the morning accompanied by a strong sweet cup of coffee or tea, or late at night to satisfy afterdark munchies.

Roti Canai is listed at Restoran Malaysia as an appetizer. However, in Malaysia it's eaten as a main course at any time. If I was unable to control my urges for Malaysian food I would be there every day.

Don't miss it.

2  Thank Mike F
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I think the only thing that prevents me from giving this restaurant a 5/5 rating is honestly the terribly long wait. I've been here early and I've been here late and both times, I've seen a long line-up... which is supposed to showcase how GOOD the restaurant is right? Well I don't know if it's worth a one-hour wait. I don't even know if it's worth 30 mins in line. It's good food, but it's not so exceptional or delicious that I would wait more than 15-20 mins for.
Also - I find that the staff have terrible judgment for timing. I remember coming in and they said 10-15 mins for a table of 4... I ended up waiting an hour that night and it was 9pm by the time I sat down. Honestly, I really wanted to go so I would've waited the hour ANYWAY, but it would've been nice to get something more realistic instead of having to ask repeatedly if a table was free.

As for the food, I find that a common order is the Mala Fried Chicken! It is so delicious and I love how it's cooked just crispy enough but not too overdone. It also comes with shrimp chips. The Singaporean dishes I find to be lackluster. The pineapple fried rice, laksha noodles and even the pad thai were all just mediocre and are not necessarily "bad" but not the stand-outs for the restaurant. The appetizers are all quite delicious though. I've gotten the platter a few times and although it is expensive, it's a good way to sample everything (good spring rolls!). The smoothies are also worth trying! For $5/glass, they have a lot of flavors and unique blends which make it worthwhile. Definitely try those!

Overall, I do keep coming back but I always go early when I do! Around 6-6:30pm is ideal - after that it gets BUSY! The parking lot is also a pain to drive around. The prices are decent, you'll spend maybe $15-20pp with an entree and drink and I find that's enough to hold you down. Definitely a worthwhile try in Richmond Hill as long as you avoid the dinner time rush.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Good food. waiters are very friendly but the owner lady is the pinnacle of rudeness. She refuses to accommodate any requests. In case you have issues...heavens save you.
The satay chicken is tasty with the peanut sauce.