“Excellent” 5 of 5 bubbles

Mexican Amigos
Ranked #21 of 439 Restaurants in Richmond Hill
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Mexican Amigos Tequila Bar & Grill is a fresh market Authentic Mexican Restaurant located in Richmond Hill.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

Excellent in most of aspects
the owner was at the door and he was managing everything
I came with my family with no reservation he told us we would wait but soon he found a table for us, service was fast but the server need to smile to make us feel welcomed he was more like a mask face, food didn't take long to come it was hot and the taste was delicious prices are reasonable, there were live singer so the atmosphere was excellent the location is good and a free parking is a available, I will definitely will be back but next time will make reservation as the owner told me they had a policy to hold your table for you 15-20 min if you are late

• Visited November 2013

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good atmosphere hated the food!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Walk into the restaurant and its nice. Good bar area and lots of space. Ordered 2 large burritos and they tasted alright but there was barely any meet in any of them. For the price I Definately expected more

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mrhungry2212
Cornwall, Canada
“Consistently good, authenic Mexican”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

This was our second time visiting Mexican Amigos for lunch and as before the place was virtually empty. However, the food was delicious and as authentic as you can get without flying to Cancun or Cozumel. We had the mixed platter for 2 and sampled a wide variety of dishes, all of which were sumptuous. The burrito was large and stuffed with meats. The soft flour tacos were nippy with onions, tomatoes, parsley and lettuce. We enjoyed he black beans with the salad on the side. Overall it was a good meal at a reasonable price without the pretentiousness of other restaurants in the area.

• Visited July 2013
Richmond Hill, Canada
“Easy to use Restaurant App for Travel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Great place to dine-in if you are on travel to Richmond Hill. The city with clean streets, ample shopping & community centers is one of my vacation favorite so when I am off from work I do visit the place. This time it was much easier for me to locate a good Mexican food restaurant. I found the Mexican Amigos restaurant app on Google play store & downloaded it for free to keep trip convenience for finding good food. The menu on my mobile helped me select my taste dishes & I just landed to the place this Monday for a delicious food treat. I am fond of Mexican burritos & chimichamga so it was for me the place I desired to be. The combination of right flavors were oozing in my mouth. Unforgettable trip this time.

• Visited June 2013
Belleville, Canada
“Chips n Salsa long time coming to the table, and had to pay for them to boot!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Tonight my wife and I enjoyed our first Mexican food since we got back from 67 days in the USA southwest. While down there, we sampled and enjoyed some great Mexican chow. While away, we routinely paid around $30 (including tip) for an authentic Mexican meal that consisted of 2 main courses, a pitcher of Dos Equis (or 3 bottles), and free refill chips and salsa. Also, regularly we were served more food than we could eat, and on many occasions, left the restaurant very full and with a doggy bag for lunch the next day.

This afternoon, I Googled, 'Mexican cuisine Vaughan ON' and got the usual fast food and mall food listings. Positive reviews of Mexican Amigos in Richmond Hill helped convince us to give it a try.

We entered and were greeted by a sign that read, Seat Yourself.

Just after we sat down, a young family of 4 arrived and sat 2 tables away. Every now and then, someone near the bar would start singing along with the prerecorded Mexican music that was blaring loudly when we entered the place. The male singer would sing 1 or 2 lines of the song currently playing, and then go silent. Then the kids would start up, yelling and making a fuss at the table (a la McDonalds). Both parents couldn't have cared less about the how the brats were behaving. This 'ambiance' gave Mexican Amigos a diner-like fast-food feel.

As we sat and waited for the customary complentary bowl of chips and salsa that usually arrive at the table seconds after you seat yourself, it turns out, I had to order chips and salsa. The chips were fresh, but not very plentiful, and the salsa was green, thin and runny (but it did taste good), and also not very plentiful.

We were never offered a refill of chips and salsa after we finished off the first bowl of chips. I wonder whether there'd been an extra charge for the refill? Never found out.

Food arrived after a reasonable period of time. There wasn't much guacamole or lettuce topping served on top of the pork chimichanga I ordered, as well as the chicken burrito my wife ordered. At Mexican Amigos, they mix rice, beans, and a portion of meat inside the taco. My chimichanga could have used more meat to balance the rice, beans, the outer shell taco and garnish. There was too much starch overall for the portion of meat stuffed into the tacos.

For a place that asks the guest to seat him/herself, doesn't offer a free chips and salsa appetizer, charges almost $7 for a glass of Dos Equis, and in our opinion, holds back on meat ingredients, the food was well cooked and tasted good which partially made up for the diner-like feel.

With tip, the bill came to $60.

That's twice what we had been paying for about half as much food and no free chips and salsa. Only in Canada, you say?

• Visited June 2013