“Good experience, awful atmosphere”
Review of Melting Pot - CLOSED

Melting Pot
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I have been to a few Melting Pots in the US and its always been one of my favourite dining places/experiences. I was very happy when I learned they opened in Richmond Hill and decided to go for my birthday.

First off - the decor is awful. One of the best things about the Melting Pot to me was their intimate dining atmosphere. Quiet booths tucked away from each other, lots of space. This one is the complete opposite. They have crammed seats everywhere - and they are very small tables. With fondue you get a lot of plates and such - the table we were at had hardly enough room. It was very open and loud, with no trace of the intimate atmosphere.

The servers are okay - our initial one was really awful. I swear we knew more about the process then him. Then a manager took over for a bit and he was great. Then we got someone else who was slow and never came by to check on us if we needed anything. We waited almost 30 minutes for a drink refill and some extra sauces.

The food is great - same quality you get everywhere else, as is the menu. It's pricy, but that was expected.

Enjoyable, but I think I will continue going to US locations over this one.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

The Melting Pot is a really fun experience. You must try it. The food is yummy and different. It is not just a restaurant, it's a dining experience. All the food, except the salad, is fondue. There are many varieties to choose from so there is something for every taste bud. My Mom came with us and she is a vegetarian and there was lots for her to eat. Our 8 year old son loved it and keeps asking when we are going back. The main thing that sticks in my mind is the fabulous service we received. Our waitress was one of the best we ever had in any restaurant. She made our dining experience way more enjoyable.
Do NOT skip the dessert! It is worth every calorie and every penny!
The only negative things I can say is that it is very expensive. But it is worth the money occasionally for the fun of it.
You need reservations. Not open for lunch.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Service was terrible and the food is way overpriced for what you get. We were there for lunch (3 of us) and the restaurant was almost empty. We tried to just order a cheese fondue and one main fondue but we were pushed to each ordering a 3 course meal (the 4 course was originally pushed!). One of my friend could not eat her main and got up and left the restaurant. After our main fonude's arrive no one came by to check on us. One of my dining companions knife was taken with the salad yet no manner of jumping up and down could get anyone's attention. I had to resort to getting cutlery from another table. And this stuff is SALTY yet my water was not filled until we were finished. The only time someone came by was when we were ready to leave. The server asked what we thought and I advised her that I would never come back! No reaction, nothing!!! She did offer to bring a container for the entire meal that was not eaten (still no reaction from her) and when we were leaving the manager said we could not leave with the uncooked mains. He also did not ask why there was so much left. We told him to throw it out Why did not the server say that when we packaged it up!!! The staff here are just interested in selling you an overpriced option rather than what is more appropriate for you and really do not care. There are far better restaurants in this area with better food and value. Once the novelty wears off I do not see this restaurant succeeding here.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

My wife and I were regular customers at the Melting Pot in Las Vegas.

We had many memorable meals there.

To our delight, The Melting Pot opened a location in Richmond Hill complete with an outdoor patio.

As usual were ordered we ordered the Big Night Out America.

That provided us with lobster, beef tenderloins, etc.

The melted cheeses used for dipping were excellent.

Everything was perfect.

Man, that was a lot of food!!

The meal in Richmond Hill was the same as the one that we had in Las Vegas.

No surprise, since they had the same chefs; my wife and I!

The quality of the food was excellent.

The service was excellent.

It wasn't that cold outside, so we dined on the patio.

Most people dined inside.

The restaurant has a portable cooktop that they use outside.

My wife and I do dine out to finer restaurants, so you can trust our review when we say that this place is pretty good!

A very memorable evening out/

Reviewed December 1, 2012

Based on the favourable reviews that we have read, I decided to surprise my husband for his birthday at the Melting Pot. The location in Richmond Hill is great. The staff were friendly and helpful from the time I called to reserve to the time we left the restaurant. We were placed in a nice cozy and quiet corner of the restaurant which I had requested. Our server Cathy was absolutely great, knowledgable, friendly and always made sure to stop by our nook to see how we were doing. This was both our first time dining at The Melting Pot. There are only 2 in Canada at this time - Richmond Hill and Edmonton. However, it is a big U.S. chain. We had the 4 course fondue dinner with cheese fondue, salad, entree of sirloin, pork, chicken and shrimp and chocolate s'mores fondue for dessert. The dinner and dinner experience was absolutely out of this world! My husband loved it and found it a very pleasant surprise. He didn't know where we were going until we arrived at the restaurant. Put time aside to enjoy this dining experience. This is not the type of restaurant where it's about, "greet, seat, eat and delete". It's all about the dining experience so give yourself 2 1/2 hrs to enjoy it! Not sure how lunch works. The restaurant is 8 months new and in our opinion, it is a must-experience! At the end of the evening, we discovered that our server Cathy was serving for the first time solo. We would have never guessed and she served us flawelessly. During the evening, other servers came by to see how we were doing which was appreciated. We hope you enjoy the experience as much as we have. We will definately be back!