“Sorry- A No Go ...”

Sheraton Parkway Toronto North
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Richmond Hill
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Got offered drugs in the parking lot- after finding a spot after looking for 10 minutes. Room was non-descript and had an odd smell. The staff at the bar/restaurant wouldn't let me go to the bathroom without settling my cheque first implying I was going to do a runner on them. Limited restaurant menu unless you go to the sit-down restaurant. Never could get anyone to answer reception phone from my room. Big noise coming from the baseball tournament attendees all around my room and no way to reach staff at 1am save walking down to the lobby- then- nothing done about the noise.

The good? Nice bartender/waitress in the lobby bar. Location is close to the 404 and the 407 as advertised. Walking distance to a lot of chain restaurants if you like that sort of thing. Very good access to drugs in the parking lot if you like that sort of thing? (sarcasm, obviously).

I spend a ton of time in hotels (and particularly Starwood Properties) but I'll be finding new digs when visiting my office in North Toronto from now on. Not a good fit.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
BWParkway, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Parkway Toronto North, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Hello Mr.Stoak,

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear of your experience in our parking lot. It is something that we would definitely call the police over. Please kindly let our 24-hour security department know if something like that happens again and we will let the authorities aware of these suspicious activities in our lot.
I'm also troubled to hear of your experience at our restaurant and we have talked to our restaurant manager to discuss in our next meeting.

Thank you again for staying at our property and I hope to welcome you once again.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

There's a convenient outdoor and indoor parking with cameras running 24-7. I stayed for 9 days with a bike in the car, so this was nice. You can park as many cars as you like. I was at the tower farthest from the lobby so this was closer to the indoor parking lot.
I got a king bed, so the room size was pretty nice with a large bathroom with tub and shower.
If you chose to "go green" you can put a sign up on the door for no room service and you get a $5 voucher per night to buy things at the hotel, attached shopping mall (not great at all). I used my 2 day voucher of $10 on the last day at Starbucks on the lobby.

The lobby area looks nice and new, but everything else had an old feel to it. The hallways, fridge, room floors, pool, general building.
The empty fridge was nice as well, but it had a muggy feel and smell to it. On my second day, the fridge stopped working and it got stinkier and I had to throw away my yogurt and left over food. But they replaced it the next day.

Wifi is NOT FREE in the rooms and to get it it's like $8 for 24hours, but who stays in the hotel room for 24 hours. I wish it was FREE or had a better deal maybe pay $ for number of hours.

The pool and the sauna was mediocre, I went once, didn't really want to go back. Again it looked pretty old.

On my last night, when I got to the room, the toilet was clogged and water was overflowing, and there were gross things on the tub, which I never got to use. Seemed like there was some sort of water/draining issue. I ended up having to move all my stuff to another room down the hall to a double bed room. It was annoying, since it was my last night but they did a quick job sending me a new key to the new room.

Overall, for rate I paid, I would try a different hotel like the Hilton, but the main reason I picked this place was because it was right next to highway 404, which was convenient to get to my friends house.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Hello bobbylawless,

It's great to see detailed reviews such as the one you've written to us.
Review like these often serve as a training tool and it helps our hotel reflect where we stand in our competition and internal operation.
We are constantly updating our hotel, such as the rooms, carpets, hallways, bathrooms etc,.. please kindly let our guest services team know of any room deficiencies and we'll happily solve the problem immediately.
Thank you again for leaving a review with us. We hope we can welcome you back one day.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

We visited the area last week and decided to book a room here... we figured for the price it would be clean and they had a pool which was great considering we were traveling with children. We booked a suite with a whirlpool tub an added feature for the kids! Upon entering, the room stunk terribly like rotting food and after a quick look around it was obvious why. There was pasta sauce all over the bedside tables lamps and alarm clocks, under the couch was mold covered noodles and other disgusting food items. Nothing was wiped down at all every table was covered with slops of some kind of beverage and so on. After this I was skeptical that the sheets had even been changed so I lifted the comforter ajd sure enough the sheets were wrinkled and covered in hair and had obviously not been changed. The only thing that was suitable was the bathroom and even that had hair and slops on the counter tops. We checked out same day and decided the long drive home would be much more comfortable then sleeping here! I understand we planned on staying on a sunday so it was probably a busy weekend but come on really?

2  Thank jahanna3
BWParkway, General Manager at Sheraton Parkway Toronto North, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Dear jahanna3,

I am deeply troubled to hear about your experience at our hotel. I would love the chance to speak with you about your stay – please contact me anytime at guestexperience@sheratonparkway.com

Reviewed August 29, 2013

We had adjoining rooms (a suite plus a double) for our family stay. The carpet was old and stained. The sofa in the suite was burned, and the room was tired looking, smelly, and not very clean. For the money and brand, this was a substandard stay, and I would not go back. The staff were disinterested (apart from one co-op student, who seemed to care) too, which didn't help matters. On the positive side, we had a nice meal in the restaurant, my kids had fast and good room service and the check out process was easy. Why don't hotels have decent lighting?

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Mike_in_Dubai,

Thank You for taking the time to provide us with the feedback about your stay with us. I want to apologize for the inconveniences you went through at our hotel. Checking into a dirty room can leave a negative lasting impression that overshadows the rest of any trip. Rest assured that your comments have been passed onto the Hotel Management Staff to prevent similar occurrences from happening in the future.

Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Spent one night for a wedding over the weekend, the service was subpar in comparison to other Sheraton hotels.

I got a club level room at $209 a night with a few perks, however we did not get the perks as promised and the room was extremely small for a supposed suite.

This proprietary is good for business travellers, if you want a good weekend hotel with your family please look elsewhere.

Rooms need a serious update, the carpets have duct tape, and the washrooms are from the early 80's.

Dear Ranga_72,

Thank you for your review. I hope you enjoyed our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper Beds with white duvets. Our club level have gotten many praises for it's superb service, and we recently renovated the Sheraton Club itself. The Club level rooms entitles you to a delicious hot breakfast at the Club and evening oeuvres.

We hope to welcome you back soon,

Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

We were there for a hockey tourney and hotel could handle lots of families and kids with no problem. Facility is great, good service. Overall very pleasant experience! Great breakfast buffet and decent bar!

• Stayed: August 2013
BWParkway, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Parkway Toronto North, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Dear Robj47,

We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments - it’s always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels. We recently have undergone an extensive renovation and we are glad to see that our efforts were worth it.

Thank you for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed August 18, 2013

The lady who took my reservation on the phone was fantastic!!

At check in they at first only had 2 of my 4 tickets for Wonderland and breakfast on file so there was a bit of confusion there. When checking in I had asked for there to be NO feathers in the room as I'm highly allergic to them. I also asked for all linen to be completely fresh (pillow protectors, mattress pads, etc. ) I work in a hotel and prefer to know my stuff is freshly laundered.

Anyway, when we came back to the hotel that night, I was having itchy eyes which made me look for the feathers. On the bed were the foam pillows in fresh linen. The mattresses also had fresh mattress pads from what I could tell so I was happy with that. Then I opened the dresser drawers to find two feather pillows in them!!! So I called down and someone came to take them after apologizing. Then I crawled into bed commenting that the duvet is so comfortable! Which is was and then I discovered that it was all feathers!!! So I called to have them removed as well!!!! The beds are quite comfortable though which was nice.

I found a few things lacking with the room. As others have put here, it is outdated. Carpet had stains and the wallpaper needs replacing. But what I noticed was that the paper coasters had stains on the backsides and the picture frames had dust on top and the headboard has something hard dried on it. Those simple things made the room feel dirty. I could live with well worn, not dirty.

The staff is friendly but doesn't go above and beyond. Seemed a bit on the shy side actually.
The buffet breakfast was very good. Lots of choices!

Overall not a bad place to stay. We didn't check out the pool areas at all. Just stayed in the room and had breakfast. It's only a 15 minute drive to Wonderland and they have free parking.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear mirandafromcanada,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I am sorry we were not able to exceed your expectations in all areas, but I am happy to hear that your arrival experience went well and that our location was convenient for you. We are truly sorry you did not get your requested feather-free room. This is not indicative of the service we strive to provide our guests. Thank you for the feedback regarding your dining experience at breakfast, I will certainly share your comments with our Chef.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond Hill
Best Western Parkway Hotel Toronto North
Hilton Garden Inn Toronto/Markham
Holiday Inn Express Toronto - Markham
Staybridge Suites Toronto
Hilton Toronto / Markham Suites Conference Centre & Spa
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Toronto Markham

Been to Sheraton Parkway Toronto North? Share your experiences!