“Comfort Inn should be ashamed of itself!”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Smiths Falls
Washington, DC
“Comfort Inn should be ashamed of itself!”
Reviewed August 23, 2010

This stay was purely a stopover en route from Ontario to Quebec. Nevertheless, after this stay, we will never stay in a Comfort Inn. The only positive we found was the friendly woman at the front desk. The photo of the hotel is deceiving. The canal is at the front, but we could barely see it through the filthy windows in our room. The lobby was seedy with burned out lightbulbs. One of our rooms had a big hole in the plaster in the bathroom. The balcony was unusable as it was filled with cobwebs. One arrives at the hotel via a parking lot at the back of several stores surrounded by dumpsters. It was a very creepy feeling, and we are urban people. For the money we paid, this was a disgrace.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 23, 2010

We stayed at this hotel Aug 20 - Aug 22 for a family wedding. I had read all the reviews on so I was prepared for the shortcomings of the hotel. Here is a quick recap:
The Good:
Hotel room was clean and a good size. While the balcony could use a coat of paint, it was big and overlooked the Rideau and the locks. Plus a huge crane (bird) seemed to live across the river so that was something to see.
When we checked in, I thought the staff was really friendly and welcoming.
The hotel is close to a good number of restaurants. We ate at both the Rob Roy and Pick a Pizza and the service and food were great on both occasions. The Rob Roy also has a fantastic patio. It is also 5 minute walk to the Rideau museum and the locks. Smith Falls is a small town (only 9,000 pop). Small towns can seem rough to some people but look beneath the surface and you will find really nice and friendly bunch of people. We also got a free hot breakfast of scrambled eggs and bacon which was great!
The Bad:
We had to drive down a dark alleyway past dumpsters to get to the hotel. It is located in a parking lot behind a mini mall. This did not make a good impression on my husband. We paid $119 a night for the wedding rate which seemed excessive given that we paid $149 to stay in the Park Hyatt in Toronto in February. Angelina Jolie stays at the Park Hyatt when she's in Toronto (just to give you a point of comparison). I think $99 would have been a good price point. There is only one elevator which is super slow to begin with and the stairs were not an easy option. The hallways did smell.
The Ugly:
The Manager...
My sister's and their partners checked in around 9:30 on Friday night after a 6 hour drive. There was a huge ordeal getting their room. Keys didn't work and then toilets didn't work, had to change rooms etc. It took them about 45 minutes to check in. We met for a really really late dinner (thanks to the hotel). Then when they tried to go to bed, they had lights from the balcony shining in their room. After a call down to the front desk, they were told that there was nothing that they could do about the lights. Hopefully they will post with all the details. I was in their room on Saturday doing hair when the manager called up. First of all she didn't identify herself and wanted the name of the person that picked up. We thought it was a joke bc no one would be that rude and unprofessional. Basically she accused them of partying until 5:00 am and harassing the staff. When she was told that it was not their room that was making the noise, she offered to call the police and have them escorted off the property. We were stunned. We were in the hotel with a group of at least 50 people PLUS there was a different group also with a wedding so it was noisy. Saturday night was insane - there was a DJ in one of the rooms and he brought his own speakers. He blasted music all night (he was still playing music when we checked out at 11am).

My bad scoring stems directly from that Manager.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank wiltjen

Travelers are raving about these Smiths Falls hotels

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed August 7, 2010

This hotel is located on the shore of the Rideau Canal. All of the rooms have a river view. You can see the boats coming through the locks while standing on your balcony. My wife and I booked a spacious room with a King size bed, and were pleased to see it also had a mid-size fridge and microwave in addition to the coffee maker and hair dryer.
Check-in was courteous and quick. All staff we encountered were very friendly. The room rate also included a free , prepared on order, hot breakfast of eggs, bacon or sausage, toast and juice or coffee. Better than the standard continental breakfast at most place. Breakfast was served in the on-site restaurant "Chuckles Jack"(see seperate review).
This is going to our destination hotel when visiting the Smiths Falls area.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Smiths Falls, Canada
Reviewed July 3, 2010

As a Person who has lived in Smiths Falls My whole life when i was looking for accomidation for a night, i turned obviously toward the Comfort Inn, much to the dismay of those people who warned me against. Against better judgement, i decided to call and price out some rooms for the evening. I originally phone and was greated with a half heart greeting pertaining to their company name, definatly less then insipring. (and as a member of the customer service world i know how important the initial greeting is). Upon the initial hello, (which i am not sure even happened, i was ask my name) at this point i informed her i was just rate shopping at the time and would likely stay there if i found it within my limited budget for the one night's stay. i first asked if they had any single rooms and was not harshly (but less than welcoming) told they had a smoking queen room worth 109 dollars. I personally don't know about any of you but as non-smoker i don't want to pay 109 dollars to smell cigarettes all night. So i politly asked if they had any other rooms. As that point the lady behind, the desk huffed and hung up on me. At that point i was slightly less than amused at the serious lack of customer service especially after I gave them the benefit of the doubt of not being a super digusting flea bag motel with broken elevators, i have heard plent of Horror stories of dirty sheets and all of which agree with most of the stories about how NASTY the place is. Well i can only tell you that the customer service sucks MORE than their suposed dirty rooms and discusting facade.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Toronto area
Reviewed February 22, 2010

Sigh..... Well, I'll start out with the good....
The beds were unbelieveably comfortable. I could have slept in until noon. There was no noise from any other guests, infact, we wondered if we were the only guests in the hotel at one point. The room we had, we were told was one of the newly renovated rooms...it was ok.....Towls were clean, plenty of them, bathroom was clean for the most part. Sheets were clean as well. Front staff girl was very nice and helpful. And an interesting piece of historacl info, was told by a train conductor passing though that this hotel was the origionall Hershey chocolate plant from way back. Hmm.
Ok..now for the creepieness...
This place is a good hour up a dark country road (if you're travelling at night that is...it's probably a nice drive during the day) away from the city of Ottaway. You have to drive behind this totaly sketchy bowling alley, and laundrymat which according to my GPS "Shirley" were infact real roads... yeah right Shirley.
Anaway, this is all just to get to the entrance of the hotel. Then, make your way though the large groups of loud, drunken teens, and safley hop over the sketchy junkys, roaming around, and you're there.... phew. Smiths falls seems to be a very sketchy town. ONCE AGAIN I ARRIVED AT 7PM but apparantly, they like to get an early start on things in this area of town.
We got the feeling that our room hadn't been used in a very long time. There were very large cobwebs in the room...that INSIDE AND OUTSIDE, Cascading over the outisde of my view of the Rideau Canal's lift locks. Balcony was kind of rough looking. I wouldn't let my kids out there, THATS FOR SURE! I kept that door locked, and then stacked chairs infront of it,,etc.. yikes! ( I have a 3 year old who thinks he's spider man,, whaddya gonna do!? ;p) My husband, walked to a local pizza place, and said for the first time as a man, he was slightly uneasy and worried when walking the streets at night in that area to wrangle our belovid meal. And my husband is NOT a girly man. Very uneasy feeling the entire time being there.
Then there was breakfast. DO NOT EAT THE HARD BOILED EGGS. I was just about to become slightly unhappy about the fact that my kids took like 3 hardboiled's each, sniffed 1, and turned up their noses at them when a man from another table came over and told us how horrible the eggs are, and not to make the kids eat them, that they weren't just being picky.. lol. Sure enough, I picked up an egg, and it smelled of clay and vinager, and it was incredibly hard too, definintly starting to grey, sign of day old eggs...(trying to stay positive, they were probably 3 day old...ugh..my stomach!) The nice man also informed us that the room on the 4th floor we were staying in was not a renovated room like we were promised. He said that they had only renovated the 3rd floor so far. I do'nt know if he was 100% on that or not as I did not invite a stranger to my room to confirm on the lack of updatedness.... so I'll post pics and you can be the judge. The bagles were most defintly 2, 3 day old, "Solid as a rock" as the song goes... the cream cheese in the little pkg's were ROTTEN like no body's buisness.
The waffel iron, was nice, it was clean this time unlike it was for a previous guest's review down below. UGH.. So, we may have been lied to about the room. If you're passing though, meh, why not I suppose, but I thought it was totaly sketchy, and creepie. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Infact, I'll never even visit Smiths Falls again. The recommendation below is with a big HECK NO!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed September 14, 2009

I should have known to check Tripadvisor first, but it's a Comfort Inn!

The girl at the reception checked us in ok, and she was friendly enough. We got the rooms I booked - 2 doubles, one smoking, one not. I'd asked if they had more rooms available that night because we were here for a wedding and others may need a place to stay. Though they had another wedding staying there, they still had 30 + room available. That should have been a clue.

This hotel really needs some work. It smelled really bad, both the smoking and non-smoking rooms. There was a hole in wall in the kids room. Our bathroom door didn't fit the frame, therefore didn't close - and those pipes were noisy. We heard the same story from someone else who stayed that same night. The a/c didn't work in our room, though the fan was blowing air. I was too hot all night. The kids, on the other hand, were freezing. They couldn't figure out how to turn the a/c off. The shower tiles were mouldy, and there was hair on the tub. The rooms need a really good scrub top to bottom adn the carpets replaced. The balcony - there was a web from one side of the doorway to the other. If I'd walked into it I would have absolutely freaked as I have a very healthy fear of spiders. There was no ventilation - no exhaust fans in the room or the bathroom. That may explain the smell...it can't escape. Oh, and I almost forgot....cigarette burns on the toilet seat and sink. I mean really, replace the toilet seat at least!

We paid the CAA rate of $99 per room. I hear we could have got a room at the Best Western for the same rate. That's where I'll be staying next time, if there is a next time.

Good points - I like that the trend is now to supply paper/plastic cups. I wouldn't have drank out of glass. There was enough sugar and coffee whiteners for the coffee maker. The bed sits on a box that is much lower than the headboard, was firm and not in-dented, but many would have found it too firm. When we left the receptionist was friendly and quick to call us a cab.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
london
Reviewed May 17, 2009

We stayed Easter weekend and had a great time. This hotel takes cleanliness to a new level. The cleaning staff really go above and beyond to make the rooms spotless. We were also greeted with very friendly and helpful people working which made the stay even better. Thanks so much for making our stay enjoyable.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
#1 of 3 in Kemptville
Best Inn Motel
Best Inn Motel
#4 of 4 in Smiths Falls

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!