“SKETCHY, UNEASY FEELING, CREEPIE PART OF TOWN....”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Smiths Falls
Reviewed February 22, 2010

Sigh..... Well, I'll start out with the good....
The beds were unbelieveably comfortable. I could have slept in until noon. There was no noise from any other guests, infact, we wondered if we were the only guests in the hotel at one point. The room we had, we were told was one of the newly renovated rooms...it was ok.....Towls were clean, plenty of them, bathroom was clean for the most part. Sheets were clean as well. Front staff girl was very nice and helpful. And an interesting piece of historacl info, was told by a train conductor passing though that this hotel was the origionall Hershey chocolate plant from way back. Hmm.
Ok..now for the creepieness...
This place is a good hour up a dark country road (if you're travelling at night that is...it's probably a nice drive during the day) away from the city of Ottaway. You have to drive behind this totaly sketchy bowling alley, and laundrymat which according to my GPS "Shirley" were infact real roads... yeah right Shirley.
Anaway, this is all just to get to the entrance of the hotel. Then, make your way though the large groups of loud, drunken teens, and safley hop over the sketchy junkys, roaming around, and you're there.... phew. Smiths falls seems to be a very sketchy town. ONCE AGAIN I ARRIVED AT 7PM but apparantly, they like to get an early start on things in this area of town.
We got the feeling that our room hadn't been used in a very long time. There were very large cobwebs in the room...that INSIDE AND OUTSIDE, Cascading over the outisde of my view of the Rideau Canal's lift locks. Balcony was kind of rough looking. I wouldn't let my kids out there, THATS FOR SURE! I kept that door locked, and then stacked chairs infront of it,,etc.. yikes! ( I have a 3 year old who thinks he's spider man,, whaddya gonna do!? ;p) My husband, walked to a local pizza place, and said for the first time as a man, he was slightly uneasy and worried when walking the streets at night in that area to wrangle our belovid meal. And my husband is NOT a girly man. Very uneasy feeling the entire time being there.
Then there was breakfast. DO NOT EAT THE HARD BOILED EGGS. I was just about to become slightly unhappy about the fact that my kids took like 3 hardboiled's each, sniffed 1, and turned up their noses at them when a man from another table came over and told us how horrible the eggs are, and not to make the kids eat them, that they weren't just being picky.. lol. Sure enough, I picked up an egg, and it smelled of clay and vinager, and it was incredibly hard too, definintly starting to grey, sign of day old eggs...(trying to stay positive, they were probably 3 day old...ugh..my stomach!) The nice man also informed us that the room on the 4th floor we were staying in was not a renovated room like we were promised. He said that they had only renovated the 3rd floor so far. I do'nt know if he was 100% on that or not as I did not invite a stranger to my room to confirm on the lack of updatedness.... so I'll post pics and you can be the judge. The bagles were most defintly 2, 3 day old, "Solid as a rock" as the song goes... the cream cheese in the little pkg's were ROTTEN like no body's buisness.
The waffel iron, was nice, it was clean this time unlike it was for a previous guest's review down below. UGH.. So, we may have been lied to about the room. If you're passing though, meh, why not I suppose, but I thought it was totaly sketchy, and creepie. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Infact, I'll never even visit Smiths Falls again. The recommendation below is with a big HECK NO!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed September 14, 2009

I should have known to check Tripadvisor first, but it's a Comfort Inn!

The girl at the reception checked us in ok, and she was friendly enough. We got the rooms I booked - 2 doubles, one smoking, one not. I'd asked if they had more rooms available that night because we were here for a wedding and others may need a place to stay. Though they had another wedding staying there, they still had 30 + room available. That should have been a clue.

This hotel really needs some work. It smelled really bad, both the smoking and non-smoking rooms. There was a hole in wall in the kids room. Our bathroom door didn't fit the frame, therefore didn't close - and those pipes were noisy. We heard the same story from someone else who stayed that same night. The a/c didn't work in our room, though the fan was blowing air. I was too hot all night. The kids, on the other hand, were freezing. They couldn't figure out how to turn the a/c off. The shower tiles were mouldy, and there was hair on the tub. The rooms need a really good scrub top to bottom adn the carpets replaced. The balcony - there was a web from one side of the doorway to the other. If I'd walked into it I would have absolutely freaked as I have a very healthy fear of spiders. There was no ventilation - no exhaust fans in the room or the bathroom. That may explain the smell...it can't escape. Oh, and I almost forgot....cigarette burns on the toilet seat and sink. I mean really, replace the toilet seat at least!

We paid the CAA rate of $99 per room. I hear we could have got a room at the Best Western for the same rate. That's where I'll be staying next time, if there is a next time.

Good points - I like that the trend is now to supply paper/plastic cups. I wouldn't have drank out of glass. There was enough sugar and coffee whiteners for the coffee maker. The bed sits on a box that is much lower than the headboard, was firm and not in-dented, but many would have found it too firm. When we left the receptionist was friendly and quick to call us a cab.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 17, 2009

We stayed Easter weekend and had a great time. This hotel takes cleanliness to a new level. The cleaning staff really go above and beyond to make the rooms spotless. We were also greeted with very friendly and helpful people working which made the stay even better. Thanks so much for making our stay enjoyable.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 21, 2009

The main thing that I remember about our stay at this motel was the lack of service at breakfast time. When we arrived for breakfast, on the first morning of our stay, we were really disappointed. There were 5 people in our party and there were only 3 (wet) bowls for cereal. When we eventually found the receptionist, she told us that they only had 3 as some visitors had taken them to their rooms and hadn't returned them. There were no facilities to wash them so we were reduced to eating cereal from polystyrene cups. We quite fancied some waffles. However, the cup intended for filling the machine with the mixture was mouldy. I don't know how long it had been left unwashed. During our time in the dining room, no-one appeared to check that there was enough bread, bagels, etc. I've never stayed at a motel/hotel which didn't have at least one member of staff on breakfast duty. (We had just stayed at the Econolodge in Ottawa and the contrast is strartling. They have a lady who constantly checks levels of food and drink and is on the go all the time.)

We spoke to another guest who had stayed several times at the Comfort Inn, Smiths Falls and had noticed it going downhill over the years. She spoke to the manager about the lack of bowls and a batch appeared the next morning. Also, a member of staff was more visible the next day.

We also discovered that the woman in jeans, lying on the sofa in front of the TV at reception, is actually one of the receptionists.

Unlike some other travellers, I don't recall the rooms being unclean or smelly, although the balcony could have done with being cleaned up a bit. Maybe we were just lucky.

It seemed that the staff couldn't care less about the guests or their own jobs. We definitely wouldn't stay there again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank AmandaJA
Reviewed June 5, 2008

We were going to stay at the Best Western but there were a couple of blokes hanging out of a window and loud music blaring in the background. So, we decided to move on and ended up at the Comfort Inn. I wish we'd stayed at the Best Western now.

I think the reviews before me (apart from the first couple) have said it all. It was vile. Filthy, run down, smelly and .... did I say filthy?

AVOID THIS PLACE!!!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank leesecole
Reviewed December 30, 2007

Happy New Year to Kim, Tina & Zulay for a job well done and beyond the call of duty. Very pleasant staff to interact with.
Our room was clean, large and everything was there that we needed.
The breakfast was great with a good variety to choose from.
Our overall experience for 8 days was beyond our expectations and we have nothing but praise for the staff & Zulay.
Great job well done to all of you and we will recommend this hotel to anyone going to Smiths Falls.
Donna & Jake Maryniak
Calgary, Alberta

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 12, 2007

I stay at Hotels frequently and this was by far the worst Hotel ever.
To start it took us over an hour to get checked in. When we arrived at our room door the card would not work so after many trips to the front desk to complain that our card would not work in the room door which was assigned to us we heard people in the room and realized that the room was already occupied. They then gave us another room "which only had one bed in it" even though we had reserved for 3 people (2 1/2 months prior to the visit) they told us that was all they had left so take it or leave it but we are not giving you a discount or a refund. I could go on for hours but I'm sure you understand.
It cost us $100 a night and there were absolutely no services available and the Hotel and it had a terrible odor and was extremely dirty and run down.

After this visit and the way we were treated I will never stay at a Comfot Inn again.

If I was this chain of Hotel I would be ashamed to have my name on this place.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
#3 of 4 in Smiths Falls
Tay Inn
Tay Inn
#2 of 5 in Perth

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!