“We would go back”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Smiths Falls
Reviewed April 3, 2014

We stayed at this Econ lodge as a last minute decision. Positive things about this place was that the room was large, clean, bright, and the bed was very comfortable and the pillows as well. The staff was very nice. During the evening we thought they were doing renovations close by us and I called the front desk to be told that a Pee Wee team was under us. I expressed that I was not happy with all the noise. Within a half hour all was quiet.

The down side if things was that the breakfast had to be the worst we have ever had in all the years we have travelled. And yes the outside of the building from the back entrance is pretty bad. But the most important thing was our bedroom and we were very pleased with it.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 503 facing the river but with the balconies you could not look out onto it from in...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SueAncrum

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Walked in; the view gave me hope. Went to my room and walked out. Did not feel safe in the old building with an almost cardboard door to the so called balcony - extrememly dirty balcony.
Room was not clean. Something was spilled on the radiator and side of table on the wall against the radiator. I guess the side of the table against the wall does not need cleaning! I was in the room for less than 2 mintues - when I heard the "neighbors" shouting and swearing I decided I need to be somewhere safer, and much, much more respectable.

Gentleman at the desk was very polite and was trying hard to run a place that he has to be embaressed about.

Room Tip: Stay at the Best Western.
Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Debbie H
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I recently stayed here for 8 unfortunate nights. I travel across Canada for work and the majority of my stays are in Comfort Inns. This hotel is straight out of he 70's -- it needs major repairs and updates. It has one small elevator that takes forever to come to the lobby. My first room was on the 5th floor -- a room that I could barely open the door. I had the desk clerk try a couple of times to open it and she finally moved me to the 4th floor. If possible the room was even older in décor. Before I go any further... when you need something from the front desk... you must phone a telephone number and leave your name and they call you back or come to the desk.... really?? What hotel operates like that? The ceiling stucco was falling off the ceiling... black mold around the soap dish in tub... maid rarely left coffee... never washed out the coffee pot.
I emailed the GM upon my return home and received a standard letter offering me a "free" night... like I would ever go there again! The cost of the room was $119 per night... really value is more like $39 a night. I wrote him back and declined his invite... offered a bit more criticism but have yet to hear from him (3 weeks ago)
Stay at the Best Western... I am sure it is a lot nicer!

2  Thank Cynthia1958
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Why two stars? The location is great, beside the locks in the centre of the town. Also worth noting, the staff were polite so for that I'm willing to offer two stars. Other than those two positives what a letdown from a chain that is known for providing reasonable and predictable accommodations. I must admit that I'm surprised that the Choice brand allows this property to remain in their chain as a Comfort Inn. I can think of Econo Lodges that offer better facilities.

From the exterior, the building looks as run down as the interior is. Paint is peeling from the balconies. The rooms are in a similar state with worn furnishings and smells in both the hallway and rooms. It was a very warm night and I never could figure out how to make the air con work, if it even was air con. I suspect it was only a heater.

I've also stayed in the local Best Western and while the distance to the centre of the town is greater, it is a better property.

Room Tip: Check out the Best Western. Not a great hotel, but certainly cleaner.
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I've stayed in my share of hotels lately, some nice ones, and some not so nice ones. For me, Comfort Inn, usually has no frills basics and is clean. This one needs a lot of work. Before I go any further, I must comment though the hotel's overall appearance and upkeep would make it among one of the worst in Canada, the staff were very friendly and nice. Also the views are very nice.

I had to go to the front desk 3 times; the first time my room would not open because the deadbolt was on, so they moved me, then the key didn't work, so they moved me, and lastly the door had to be the only one in the world where you had to lift up rather than down. Of course someone drawing an arrow with a marker should have been my hint that it was backwards.

The room it self was mediocre, and quite dated though the bed was comfortable. The room without a close inspection did seem clean. However:
1. Every flush of the toilet ran the risk of overflowing
2. The shower did not drain properly so you had to stand in a puddle of your own water
3. Don't even try and sit on the balcony, there is nothing to sit on and is VERY DIRTY, and someone's gross ash try was left behind
The hallways are probably as they were in the 70s, and the elevator was also disgusting and dirty.

The restaurant actually wasn't that bad, sitting on the patio and enjoying the Rideau canal was enjoyable. There is a number if Indian dishes on the menu, and the waiter explained their chef was from that part of the world which is why they had those dishes. The food was a bit pricy for what you got, but it was actually not bad.

In conclusion, I think for any amount of money this hotel is a bad choice given the dirt and issues. Even still, at 109/night it very overpriced and I would recomend you either go to Brockville or Ottawa to spend the night if possible.

1  Thank Stephan29
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This past weekend I was boating with friends and had booked a room at the Comfort Inn. Heading towards the locks we saw a large hotel that looked like it was abandoned and run down. What a shock I got when I saw the Comfort Inn sign! I prayed that there must be a newer Inn somewhere else in Smith Falls. Unfortunately - that was my hotel!! The stay was actually not that bad but this hotel is definitely in need of renovations. It has fabulous potential. It is on a beautiful site along the Rideau River. The entrance was once grand but now is run down on the outside. I can see this place being turned into a wonderful seniors residence if someone wanted to invest the money. This hotel will do in a pinch and if you are only staying one night.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Acadia80
Reviewed July 28, 2013

this hotel was so awful. The smell from the first step into the hotel to the elevators to the rooms is stale musty And simply gross. The rooms have holes from the moisture from who knows where. The comforters had stains from god knows what. We went for a wedding and I was styling my hair and the power just went out. The maids didn't change the sheets nor did they bring any new towels. The smell was awful. The room was supposed to be a newer room but maybe as new 1960. The only thing I can say good about this hotel is they had safety pins when I needed it. The hotel is situated beautifully. I think some money should be spent to renovate and the hotel would truly be a gem.

• Stayed: July 2013
#3 of 4 in Smiths Falls
Tay Inn
Tay Inn
#2 of 5 in Perth

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!