“Terrible Customer Service”

GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“Terrible Customer Service”
Reviewed January 6, 2009

Customer service at this hotel is terrible! The woman at the front desk was shockingly rude. I complained to both head office and the hotel itself. I received a condescending response from the Front Desk Supervisor of the hotel (who was not present at the time). I wrote another letter and received no response whatsoever. Below are the details.

I booked a hotel room at the Comfort Inn, Trenton, Ontario, for my elderly mother and aunt. Their sister was in palliative care at the local hospital. I booked the room through the Comfort Inn website using my credit card. I received e-mail confirmation that the room was booked and that my credit card would be billed.

When my mom and aunt arrived they were told that I had to be there with my credit card for the room to be charged to that card. They called me very upset about this. I booked the room for them so they would not have to worry about those details and could focus on their dying sister.

I called the Comfort Inn and spoke to a customer service representative. The representative told me that it was hotel policy to demand that the cardholder be present with the card. I explained that this was not posted anywhere on the web-site and that it is common practice for businesses to accept credit cards over the telephone or internet (in fact, I had just ordered flowers over the internet to be delivered to the hospital that very day without having to drive the 300 km to Trenton to show my card).

The customer services representative told me that I could be a fraudster. I pointed out to her that my elderly mother and aunt were right in front of her and could confirm my identity. I also pointed out to her that the web-site states that my credit card would be charged if nobody arrived for the reservation. I said that it seems contradictory that you will charge my credit card if nobody shows up, but you refuse to charge my credit card if the guests actually do show up as planned. She kept reciting hotel policy. I asked her to direct me to the policy and she could not (in fact, nobody from the hotel could direct me to the policy). I told her that if your hotel has a policy concerning payment, that policy should be communicated to customers / guests at the time of booking.

The customer service representative started yelling at me over the telephone and told me she would not do anything about the situation and hung up on me. Hotel management refused to do anything about the lack of communication concerning their policy or about the rudeness of their staff.

To be clear, I have no problem with the policy itself. I do have a problem with the fact that the policy is not posted anywhere for customers. I also have a problem with the fact that the policy they have posted contradicts the policy that is not posted (your credit card will be charged if you don't show up). I also have a problem with the rudeness of the staff member and the unwillingness of the management to do anything about the situation.

I have traveled extensively (throughout the world) and have never encountered such poor customer service. I will not reserve or stay at another Comfort Inn or Choice Hotel due to this incident.

• Disliked — Rudeness, Accusation of being a fraudster, Poor management
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank jhvoss
gatt313, Manager at Comfort Inn Trenton, responded to this review, June 16, 2009
The gentleman that wrote this review was told by the reservations desk that we cannot take a payment by credit card over the phone. He was making a reservation for his Mom and his Aunt and was informed of this policy by the staff member. She tried to explain that this was for his protection as well as the motels since we would not have his signature on the credit card receipt.

After we received his complaint we spoke to his Mon and his Aunt (at the time they were guests at the motel) to find out if they were alright with our explanation. They were more that fine with this and stayed with us again at at a later date.

We wrote a letter to the gentleman once again explaining our credit card policy an that we had esured that his family had a pleasant stay and had in fact rebooked with us but unfortunely this was not to his satisfaction. The letter sent to the gentleman was approved by both members of management to ensure a polite and professional response to the the complaint.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Reviewed June 21, 2008

This COMFORT INN Trenton, Ontairo was a step above the rest. Not only did we get a great rate as Choice Privilege members, but M.J. Lussier went above and beyond what is usually rquired from staff members and made our stay extra special.

This particular date was very special to us as it was our 40th anniversary and Mary Jeannette Lussier from this Hotel, definitely went above and beyond any other Hotel ever did for us.

I would have written this sooner, but when we returned from our vacation and mini-honeymoon, we both caught a really bad virus in a a different city and I am still trying to recover from this bug.

I woujld NEVER ever hesitate staying at this particular Motel. It was fantastic and the staff were more than helpful and friendly.

Carol
gr8ful@sympatico.ca

• Liked — EVERYTHING, but the service from M. J. Lussier topped it off for me.
  • Disliked — Nothing. everything was awesome
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Angelheart69
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 14, 2007

Paid 120 CDN $ for one night, but it was a Saturday on the long weekend,
close to 401, Tim Horton's next door,
room was clean,
standard continental breakfast (muffins/pastries)

• Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank nanaimobum
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 8, 2006

I travel along the 401 corridor for business and often stay with Comfort Inns. I really like this location. The rooms are very clean and comfortable and they have free high speed internet. They have just recently added a new complimentary continental breakfast that was very nice.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trenton
Travelodge Trenton
Best Western Belleville
Best Western Belleville
#2 of 7 in Belleville
TownePlace Suites Belleville

Been to Comfort Inn Trenton? Share your experiences!