“Coffee was good, cake was good, dinner for two”

Symposium Cafe Restaurant and Lounge
Ranked #1 of 10 Dessert in Waterloo
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Dine at this Symposium Café Waterloo restaurant located at the historic Waterloo hotel directly at Uptown Waterloo. This Symposium Café Restaurant location is conveniently located on King and Erb, and is open 7 days a week, early mornings and late nights for your restaurant dining pleasure. This Waterloo Symposium Café Restaurant seats 120 indoors and over 70 seats in a scenic patio, and has a private 40 seat private room. We specialize in large group settings and can accommodate last minute functions fairly easily.Hope to see you soon at this Waterloo Symposium Café Restaurant location!• Beautiful Restaurant Décor• Scenic Patio• Private Dining Room Dining• Open Early Mornings• Open Late Nights + Dining Available Until Close Restaurant HoursSunday – Thursday 8am to 1amFriday & Saturday 8am to 2am
Reviewed July 29, 2014

My boyfriend and I ended up at Symposium for the dinner for two Thursday. The soup was good (neither amazing or bad). The dinner was okay. I guess what they are known for is the desserts, and we picked a fluffy coffee type cake which was good and I would go back just for the desserts next time. The highlight of the night for me was the coffee mocha which was delicious. Go for the fair-priced dinner for two or even better... the 2 for 1 dessert Sundays... don't go if you are looking for just dinner... also don't go if you are looking for food fast because the service is slooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwww.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

Visiting for the day, we all wanted brunch and ended up here. The chairs were so dirty I didn't want to touch it nevermind eat in it. Absolutely filthy. Since our guest choose the restaraunt we kept quiet. Waffles, eggs and sandwiches were all OK. Nothing special. Just typical diner food served on chipped plates. The service was average.I would note that being served by staff wearing ground in food on their clothing is high on the gross meter. The room itself looked like it hadn't been cleaned in about a year. Never again.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

Making my way toward the outdoor patio, I passed by the mouth-watering desserts behind the glass case. Mmmmmmmm does look good. It reminded me of walking into a European café and seeing the desserts there. I wondered if the cakes are very sweet as European baking usually is not.
We sat outside the patio underneath a big umbrella. It would make for a good shade on a sunny day. Today had more clouds and it kind of looked threatening so the umbrella may come in handy. With luck no rain happened.
It’s Friday. The special of the day is Haddock (I didn't pay attention to what also came with it) or fish (one piece or two) & chips. With one of these two specials you can get $5.00 off for a bottle of wine. I had the fish & chips but opted for the thirst quenching iced tea.
The fish and chips were good. Unlike some places, my plate wasn’t loaded with fries. It also came with a tiny amount of coleslaw and tartar sauce (which I don’t use much anyway). I ate all but half the fish (took home as leftovers for the next day). My friend also ordered the same and she finished hers. She said that was enough to satisfy her. Another friend ordered chicken souvlaki with Caesar salad. It was also a nice size portion and she enjoyed it.
Well, I definitely had no room for dessert. I debated whether to take a piece home. But I think next time I come here, I’ll just order dessert and coffee. I’ll look forward to that.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

The desserts here are amazing and huge!! I went with family a few weeks ago when they had their Sunday special (buy any drink and get a dessert for half price). There were four of us so we each got a different dessert and shared. They were all really good but the cheese cake was especially good.

I've been here several times and the food has never disappointed. In addition, the service is always prompt and friendly. The seating is varied so whether you have a large or small group you will be comfortable. Definitely would recommend this place for coffee/tea and dessert.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

My wife and I took another couple there for dinner. The service was prompt, the menu and specials were clearly explained and our orders arrived in a reasonable time, The food was really good and the server checked back with us several times. Dessert and coffee were produced on short order and the price was fairly high end, but worth it. We have been back twice since. Outdoor seating is available.