“Dessert”

Symposium Cafe Restaurant and Lounge
Ranked #2 of 9 Dessert in Waterloo
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Dine at this Symposium Café Waterloo restaurant located at the historic Waterloo hotel directly at Uptown Waterloo. This Symposium Café Restaurant location is conveniently located on King and Erb, and is open 7 days a week, early mornings and late nights for your restaurant dining pleasure. This Waterloo Symposium Café Restaurant seats 120 indoors and over 70 seats in a scenic patio, and has a private 40 seat private room. We specialize in large group settings and can accommodate last minute functions fairly easily.Hope to see you soon at this Waterloo Symposium Café Restaurant location!• Beautiful Restaurant Décor• Scenic Patio• Private Dining Room Dining• Open Early Mornings• Open Late Nights + Dining Available Until Close Restaurant HoursSunday – Thursday 8am to 1amFriday & Saturday 8am to 2am
Reviewed June 2, 2014

The desserts here are amazing and huge!! I went with family a few weeks ago when they had their Sunday special (buy any drink and get a dessert for half price). There were four of us so we each got a different dessert and shared. They were all really good but the cheese cake was especially good.

I've been here several times and the food has never disappointed. In addition, the service is always prompt and friendly. The seating is varied so whether you have a large or small group you will be comfortable. Definitely would recommend this place for coffee/tea and dessert.

There are newer reviews for Symposium Cafe Restaurant and Lounge

Reviewed May 28, 2014

My wife and I took another couple there for dinner. The service was prompt, the menu and specials were clearly explained and our orders arrived in a reasonable time, The food was really good and the server checked back with us several times. Dessert and coffee were produced on short order and the price was fairly high end, but worth it. We have been back twice since. Outdoor seating is available.

Reviewed May 4, 2014

Being from BC, I asked my niece where she would like to go for her birthday lunch and she suggested the Symposium Cafe. Entering the restaurant, it's quaint, comfortably dim and has an old world charm. Both of us enjoy Eggs Benedict or their variations and this restaurant has 6 versions of it. My niece chose the Eggs Benjamin, which are made with smoked salmon, while I opted for the Eggs Neptune which were to come with crab and asparagus. I had asked for soft poached eggs. The brunch items came out fairly rapidly and the eggs were perfectly soft poached. HOWEVER, the light from the window slanted onto my plate revealing the dirtiest and most fingerprinted plate I have ever seen, and when I called the hostess over, she began explaining that the chefs turn, and turn the plate to find the cold spot??? huh?? She offered to change the plate but that would have meant that my niece would be mostly through her lunch and I would have to eat alone. I told her that I would try to keep my food away from the edges but that I was very displeased with the cleanliness. I was somewhat angry that instead of offering an apology she was giving me REASONS, why the plate was the way it was. I told her I wasn't really interested in reasons and excuses. So let's get back to the food. The 2 asparagus spears were thumb-thick and woody but the biggest turn off was the "crab". I have never seen crab like that before. It was a macerated mess the consistency of a "crab quinoa" with a taste that wasn't even close to crab. The Hollandaise was good but the "fried" potatoes, were frozen little cubes deep fried and meh..... I did love the eggs though. Afterward we ordered a desert called a Harvest waffle. Hmmm, at $9 it was a waffle with 2 scoops of ice cream, 1 sliced strawberry, ARTIFICIAL whipped cream out of a can, and a synthetic tasting strawberry syrup. The plate was as amateurishly presented as it was large. The total with coffee came to $45 for two which would not be outrageous for a Sunday brunch if the quality would have been there. At the end, I received the bill, at the bottom of which was printed "Complaint" minus 25%. Perhaps adjustment would have been a better chosen word as complaint had a negative connotation. Also, looking at all the comments, I would say that this restaurant is not consistent ranging from poor to excellent. Today it was poor and disappointing for a birthday lunch. Luckily for me, I will not be dining there again.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

The Belgian waffles were great with strawberries on top, aside fruit cup. We were there with a group of people so had the back room. A reservation was made. Parking is on the street, Waterloo town square and behind the restaurant.

1  Thank HeatherG272
Reviewed April 14, 2014

They used to have pizzas and all day breakfast foods, but not anymore. That was the only choice vegetarians had. Totally sucks if you're vegetarian. Great desserts through.

1  Thank BrownFlyer