“Good desserts, but service?”

Symposium Cafe Restaurant and Lounge
Ranked #3 of 10 Dessert in Waterloo
Cuisines: Bar, Canadian, International
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Dine at this Symposium Café Waterloo restaurant located at the historic Waterloo hotel directly at Uptown Waterloo. This Symposium Café Restaurant location is conveniently located on King and Erb, and is open 7 days a week, early mornings and late nights for your restaurant dining pleasure. This Waterloo Symposium Café Restaurant seats 120 indoors and over 70 seats in a scenic patio, and has a private 40 seat private room. We specialize in large group settings and can accommodate last minute functions fairly easily.Hope to see you soon at this Waterloo Symposium Café Restaurant location!• Beautiful Restaurant Décor• Scenic Patio• Private Dining Room Dining• Open Early Mornings• Open Late Nights + Dining Available Until Close Restaurant HoursSunday – Thursday 8am to 1amFriday & Saturday 8am to 2am
Kitchener, Canada
“Good desserts, but service?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Symposium has quite the selection of yummy desserts, however the poor service makes this a place I wouldn't choose to go to. 6 of us went one day, it wasn't busy inside and ordered our coffee and desserts. After waiting 40 minutes to get anything and trying to find our server, we informed the manager that we were leaving if we didn't get something. He found our server who apparently forgot our order, then proceeded to get it to our table. However, no discount or apology was offered.

Visited March 2012

Kitchener, Canada
“good food good service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

food is quite tasty there and the atmosphere is fun. wait staff are average servers. Different kind of style. Fun

Visited July 2012
Waterloo, Canada
“Won't be rushing back”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

Me and my bf used to go here for a nice breakfast but the last few times we went we noticed it was going down hill.
It's obvious no one takes care of the place there is dust everywhere! Sometimes when we went in we couldn't order what we wanted because they were out or the coffee machine wasn't working. The food is often burnt or too greasy.
I have not however had any other meals here.

Windsor, Canada
“Worth a Try!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

Tried Symposium for the first time this week. It was very good! The service was good and the food was excellent (had the Southwestern Burger). Good selection of beers on tap too! An interesting cross-section of students and uptown professionals in for dinner/drinks. Will definately try again!

• Visited October 2012
Waterloo, Canada
“can't find words to describe my experiences here without cussing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

I've been here with friends a couple of times and for meetings a couple of times. I would never voluntarily go here.

Service is slow and untrained. On my most recent visit, I ordered mussels without the garlic toast or whatever the bread is that they serve with the mussels as I have celiac disease. When my order came, there was bread on it. I informed the server that I could not eat this because of an allergy (I don't expect that people know what celiac is, but I expect them to know what an allergy is). The server promptly took the dish back to the kitchen where the bread was removed and I was served the same dish. The server claimed that it was a new order.

Upon noting the fact that there was no way that the order could have been done that quickly and that there were still noticeable crumbs in the dish, I asked the server to confirm with the kitchen that this was a new order. Several minutes later, he removed the dish and took it back to the kitchen. After another half hour or so, I was served with what did seem to be a legitimate fresh order of mussels. I did not get sick following the meal so I am inclined to believe this. Luckily, I am not allergic to spit.

For anyone with allergies, avoid this place. 90% of the time, the serving staff doesn't know what is in the dishes and has a hard time finding out. Asking a question about the food will result in your meal being delayed by 30 minutes per question as they seem to think that there are more important things than customer's time.

• Visited September 2012