“Expensive for what you get” 3 of 5 bubbles

Mongolian Grill
Ranked #138 of 361 Restaurants in Waterloo
Cuisines: Barbecue, Asian, Mongolian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We are a create your own stir fry restaurant/buffet. Mongolian Grill offers a unique eating experience that is fun for everyone. Pick all your own ingredients, and watch it be cooked on our open concept grill. Each meal comes with unlimited rice and tortilla shells. Great for big groups, business meetings, work parties, team parties, and more! Private rooms available for booking FREE of charge. Free WIFI, massive patio seating space. Come experience the Mongolian Grill today!
Dundas, Canada
“Expensive for what you get”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

My husband, daughter and I went for dinner. You don't have an option for dinner but to get the all you can eat stir fry. You are given a very small bowl, you travel along and put things into the bowl that you want cooked and then give it to the guys at the grill to cook up for you. I found the bowl too small to add what you want. There were many things that they were out of and I found the sauce station confusing. I wasn't sure what was spicy and what was not. My first attempt was boring and bland and a really small portion. I went up once again and used a sauce that I thought was not spicy...huge mistake! So spicy I couldn't eat the dish. I wanted to attempt a third go - however the line up for cooking your food was so long and winding it would have taken forever. I decided against it. Our bill came to $70 before tip. That was for three meals and one drink, two waters. Very expensive I thought for what we got. They could really use some symbols on the sauce signs similar to those used in Chinese restaurants with hot peppers letting you know how spicy something is. I wouldn't run back anytime soon.

• Visited March 2014

Kitchener, Canada
“Turn around and don't look back! ”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Had a horrible experience there last night. When we arrived at 6:30, we were told they were running out of beef, chicken, and sausage. Since we only planned to have a bowl each, it was fine for us. We had never been there for dinner so didn't know that you had to do the all you can eat option for dinner since our waitress took our menus away within a minute of sitting down, not even asking if we were going to order off the menu. When we got to the ingredient area, we noticed there was no seafood either. The sauces we wanted to use were all gone. Then near the end, after finding out it was all you can only, our waitress started clearing our table and took our bowls away and the tortillas without asking if we were finished. When I mentioned we weren't done, she apologized along with an excuse for why she did it, assuming we were done. After about 5 minutes, she told us tortillas were out so plan accordingly. When I wanted to speak to a manager he was not available (out buying tortillas). Basically we paid $40 for 3 bowls of crap. Waitress did apologize that they didn't have anything that night and offered another excuse of why that was the case. Tip - never apologize and follow it up with an excuse. Used to love going here in my university days but will never return again.

2 Thank icyglaze
Kitchener, Canada
“Fun concept, But a bit run down...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

The selection of food was adequate. The presentation wasn't the best, but you could certainly put together a decent stir-fry with what was offered. The drink menu looked good if you like frozen or fruity drinks. I was least impressed with the rice we were served with the meal as it ranged from chewy to crunchy (hopefully it was just an off batch?).

The service was fairly good and the guys working the grills were quick and efficient. It wasn't too busy when we visited, but I could see how a full restaurant could make for a long wait at the grill.

This restaurant has gotten a bit run down, so I wouldn't recommend it as a place to take someone you are trying to impress or for a special occasion. If you want a lot of food in a casual setting and are likely to make at least 2-3 trips to the grill then this restaurant is for you.

• Visited February 2014
Toronto, Canada
“DO NOT EAT HERE!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

I have been to a few Mongolian Grill locations around Toronto and I've been to a good one and a not so good one. This one was so bad that I walked out of it.

We specifically drove over 30 minutes to eat at this location because we wanted this type of food. After looking around, we left without eating. The restaurant is spacious and seems that it's not heated as on November 03 2013 it was freezing inside; I kept my coat on. The place was full of families with their children so it was quite loud.

It was so crowded around the grill part that it was difficult to move around to get your ingredients for he stir fry. The meat looked unappetizing and the beef looked off with a greenish tinge to it. I hope it was just the lighting but I didn't want to find out. The veggies were in their respective dishes but also strewn all over the counter, same thing with the seasonings. The whole place just looked dirty and like it hasn't been cleaned for a long time.

The young staff cooking at the grill weren't really paying attention to what they were doing, but rather trying to chat up the girls waiting to get their food.

This place made such a bad impression that we walked out before we got our drinks. I do not recommend this place at all. The management should be spoken to about this place. For $17.99 per person this all you can eat gets huge thumbs down from me all around.

• Visited November 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank S L
Waterloo, Canada
“Fun for a younger crowd”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Being close to the university its always filled with students and can get pretty noisy. however i love the experience of getting to create your own meal, they have a great selection of items ive never found myself wishing they had more. Also being able to watch them cook your food is nice too so you know exactly whats going on with your food. There isnt anywhere else in town like this so they came up with a unique idea that seems to be good for business!

• Visited March 2013