“I was happy but my mom wasn't”

Sole Restaurant and Wine Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Sole Restaurant and Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 364 Restaurants in Waterloo
Cuisines: Mediterranean, European, Canadian, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Father David Bauer Drive
Description: Sole is a lively restaurant that offers both inventive and traditional cooking delivered in an elegant yet casual atmosphere. The restaurant ambience is comfortable and appealing, providing quality food at the right price in an unpretentious way. To view are full menus please visit our website. Sole offers brunch on Saturday and Sunday from 11:00 am. until 4:00 pm.
Kitchener
“I was happy but my mom wasn't”
Reviewed August 7, 2014

I took my mother to Sole for her 88th birthday and unfortunately she wasn't very pleased with her meal. She ordered mussels which she said were over-cooked. She also had the cucumber and mango salad. The mango wasn't ripe and that spoiled the dish.
My meal was delicious. I had the flat iron steak and it was cooked perfectly plus it was very tender. I also had a Caesar salad - it was good (pretty hard to destroy one though).
We each had dessert and both of us thought they were delicious.
It was disappointing that my mom didn't like what she ordered as it was a special day for her.
I also think the prices are quite a bit higher than they used to be. Our meal cost $80 and that was without anything to drink (plus one of my mother's dishes was an appetizer).

• Visited August 2014

Waterloo, Canada
“Delicious food in the heart of Uptown Waterloo”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Sole is wonderful! The restaurant is beautiful, the staff are friendly and helpful, and the food is to die for!! I had a pasta there last week and it was delicious. The portion sizes are perfect. Sole is a must try!

Toronto, Canada
“Pretty good, but could do better”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Went on a date to Sole during the Jazz Festival 2014 in Waterloo. Nice atmosphere inside, clean facilities, two patios including a somewhat secluded one in the back. It was pretty packed by dinner time and reservations are recommended on the weekend. It can also get really, really loud inside due to the high ceilings and cavernous walls. We moved outside onto the patio to talk. The servers were attentive and definitely not pushy, which was nice and refreshing. Its location a couple of blocks from downtown is nice as well.
While I was impressed by the diversity of the wine bar and enjoyed a couple of different selections, their menu was not anything to write home about. I did not think the price justified the portions or quality of what they had to offer in terms of food.
I might go back for drinks again, but not for food.

Waterloo, Canada
“"Transport your palate to the Mediterranean" : Over-Blown Claim”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We keep hoping that Sole R&WB will "up their game"; however, so far, the food still has plenty of room for improvement. My starter was a mushroom soup -- while it was tasty, it arrived partially cooled and with a 'skin' on the surface from being served well before it was delivered to the table. My main was a pasta special with veal strips -- again, tasty but not the least bit exceptional, and the bottom third of the bowl was swimming in oil. My dessert was a mini serving of creme brule -- this and the wine was the best part of my meal. Service was polite, considerate and attentive. The outdoor atmosphere was very pleasant. In sum, if Sole is to move from 'average' to 'very good' or 'excellent', the greatest opportunity for improvement is the quality of their food.

Mississauga, Canada
“Fantastic and unusual food”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I have been to Sole many times for dinner and brunch, it is one of the best restaurants I have been to in a long while. The food is excellent and they change up the menu frequently with new and unusual food selections. I had their lobster Mac and cheese a while back and it was amazing. The brunch menu is delicious, the lobster egg Benedict absolutely yummy!
Service can be a bit slow at times as they get very busy, but still well worth a visit.

• Visited August 2013